Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2005 5:48pm

Style: Hawaiian Okinawan Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone know anything about GRANDMASTER LEE, JEONG HYO and ROY HYUK KWON?

They teach at my friend's dojang. I've been to a few classes (watched) and the things taught seemed pretty poor...

"9th Degree Black Belt Tae Kwon Do
    9th Degree Black Belt Hapkido
    8th Degree Black Belt Moo Hap Do (the way of mixed martial arts)
    9th Degree Black Belt Kyuk Too Ki (Korean full contact kickboxing)
    5th Degree Black Belt Shaolin Kung Fu
    5th Degree Black Belt Hwa Rang Kum Do (swordsmanship)
    1st degree Black Belt Kendo
    Master Ranking in the healing/acupressure arts of Hwal Bup and Ta Bup"
    are Jeong Hyo's accomplishments

and he's a little history about the main insturctor there.

Master Kwon has been involved and actively practicing and teaching the martial arts for more than 12 years. He has received all of his formal training in the arts of Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Kyuk Too Ki and Shaolin Kung Fu from Grandmaster Lee, Jeong Hyo. Born and raised here in Hawaii, Master Kwon traveled to Korea during the summer months to train with Grandmaster Lee and received supplemental training here during Grandmaster Lee's trips here to Hawaii to visit Master Kwon en route to his trips to the mainland U.S. to visit some of his other students who also currently run schools. Master Kwon currently holds the ranks of 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do from the World Tae Kwon Do Federation, 4th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do from Grandmaster Lee's World Kang Moo Kwan Federation, 4th degree black belt in Hapkido from the Korea Hapkido Federation and a Kyuk Too Ki 4th degree black belt from the Korea Kyuk Too Ki Federation. He has also extensively studied the world's most formidable grappling arts of Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Russian Sambo, Japanese Shootfighting, and Wrestling on top of his studies into the arts of Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's way of martial arts) under Sifu Dean Nuebling. In addition, Master Kwon is also the 2002 Alliance Martial Arts World Cup "Continuous Contact Fighting" Champion and member of the United States National Martial Arts Team.
    I've been searching for the past 30 mins and couldn't get any results. I was wondering if these guys knew their **** and just became mcdojo to make money or if they're actually bullshido themselves.

Here's the website btw

http://www.ismaa.com/masters.htm

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    5/07/2005 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their ranks alone stink.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 11:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to be a little careful on how to answer this, as I know Roy and his family personally. In Korea, at least Chilgukkun province, Master Lee is the man. I lived there for five years and NO ONE moved into his territory. I mean no other schools. Martial arts schools are not run there like they are here (see your McDojo statement). Let's use Hapkido as an example. Hapkido in the U.S. pretty much stinks. Sorry, most (not all) schools stink. In Korea, however, it is pretty much reserved for police, military, and "ggangpae" (or however you spell it in English, it means organized crime), and in Korea, those three are not very different... if you know what I mean.

So the moral of the story is that you cannot judge a teacher's teacher by what sells in the U.S., if that makes any sense.

poser

Posted On:
    8/21/2007 11:53pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    please check post dates if you're not going to add an informative update.