UAAAH!

Posted On:
    5/07/2005 9:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beka
    YAY I'M SO GLAD NO H0M0Z ARE ALOUD ON BULLSHEEDO LOL ROTFLOL LOL R0X0RZ YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pottytrai
    Somebody doesn't listen to rap. You're terry cloth (that means very soft).
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2005 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Source?

Quote from Canuckyokushin:

"Quite frankly there were 2 reasons why there was that rule change. First: The serious head trauma that can be found in fighters after years of competition is one real reason. Case in point .Muhammad Ali.
    Second: Many students were dropping out of Karate because of it."

I'd like to know where you heard this, because it directly contradicts what I was told by a former Japanese national lightweight champion and current coach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 12:18am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only reason I heard about Kyokushin was because my dad trained in it and taught me a bit of it.

Frankly, I was kind of surprised to find it so well-known and respected here.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LOL look at my stupid post.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Quote from Canuckyokushin:

"Quite frankly there were 2 reasons why there was that rule change. First: The serious head trauma that can be found in fighters after years of competition is one real reason. Case in point .Muhammad Ali.
    Second: Many students were dropping out of Karate because of it."

I'd like to know where you heard this, because it directly contradicts what I was told by a former Japanese national lightweight champion and current coach.

Oops! Sorry.I worded incorectly what I was trying to say.I used an example that did not corolate with the decision to end face-punches in the 70's.

But I feel I remember reading it in someone's Biography.One fighter had noticed the serious injury's that fighters were receiving during sparing nights in his Dojo in Japan in the 60's and 70's.I have no source or link.

After all, Muhammad Ali 's condition was only known much further along.Doctors only started corolating boxers unjury's to head trauma only recently I think

But the second quote I made, I stand by it."Second: Many students were dropping out of Karate because of it." That's all true.The black eyes, lose teeth, broken jaw's.Everything.In those day's karate was tough.

Sorry if I created a fuss.

Canuck.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some wear gloves...

http://www.musashi.nl/multimedia/multimedia_frame.htm click on film to link to videos, third from the bottom is Oyama sparring (note face punch).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 1:01am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually.And I don't know if anyone's else has noticed this but when i get a punch from a gloved fist to my chest the pain feels more spread out over my chest.Instead of it being in one small spot it's actually in a much larger area.

But to try and answer your question.Yes some schools ask there students to wear golves and shin pads.I guess in this school - Pic above - it's mandatory to wear gloves.But that's not the case in my school.Equipment is optional.

Beside some of them look younger then 20 years.
    Last edited by CanucKyokushin; 5/08/2005 1:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 1:13am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a white belt in Kyokushin and I have to wear gloves and shin pads during sparring and step-sparring. I don't really get it, my senpai said it's necessary as getting injured during training is just not worth it. But I keep thinking that by sparring with no protection, I would get both the conditioning and experience and it's not like 100% is given out during sparring. We are made to keep to a maximum of 30% of strength. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by nicknack; 5/08/2005 1:19am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 2:06am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) That's the idea behind gloves. You have less of a chance of getting cut/bruised/breaking something with gloves.

2) No, it's definately not worth it. You won't condition ****. You'll just bang yourself up and not be able to go the next day. If you want to "condition" yourself harder, put on the gear and just hit harder. The pads will spread the force over a larger area, causing less damage. You're a white belt, take it easy. If you try to go too hard too fast, you'll just get hurt and quit.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 6:00am

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    1)

2) No, it's definately not worth it. You won't condition ****. You'll just bang yourself up and not be able to go the next day. If you want to "condition" yourself harder, put on the gear and just hit harder. The pads will spread the force over a larger area, causing less damage. You're a white belt, take it easy. If you try to go too hard too fast, you'll just get hurt and quit.

PL
    I don't think sparring at 30% will result in any injuries. The worst I got are bruises that went away after a few days.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    unless somebody fucks up.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast