224750 Bullies, 3573 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKDChick's Martial Arts in the Movies

Three reviews for the price of one! Ok, they're free anyway, but that's not the point. Like a well-timed backfist to the temple, JKDChick uses her wit and movie industry experience to score with another great write-up featuring Elektra, Blade Trinity, and Ong Bak!

Here's a quip from her article:

See, there is this issue with woman action “heros”. Sexy and tough don’t mix. They just … don’t, okay? So when you take your average actress, whose entire life has been devoted to making herself sexually attractive to males, whose only job is to be charming and beautiful and feminine, and tell them to “act tough” they look ridiculous.

To her credit, Garner’s actually pretty capable looking, and certainly doesn’t suffer from the “SHE’S GOT ARMS LIKE TWIGS! SHE COULDN’T PUNCH HER WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG!” syndrome that curses most actresses (my only objection to my beloved Buffy). But she can’t pull off the “I’m a deadly killer! Look how deadly I am!” undercurrent that Elektra, the character, has in the comic books. Also, they changed her costume to a red silk TEDDY for the love’a pete. The black leather from Daredevil wasn’t gospel but it looked better than the “prostitute/assassin” outfit.

You can read more here. Don't forget to add your own comments.
    Attached Images  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 8:43pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually the red costume is more closer to the original comic book. In the comic book Elektra wore a one piece red thong outfit.

"You can't out run death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it"

Money can't buy you love. - Terry Bogard

Yeah, but you'd be surprised what it can buy you for a few hours. - Joe Higashi

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 8:46pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if you'd read the review I commented on that.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did read it. I was just pointing it out more because that was most likly their reason for making the costume red. Besides why do all the woman who kick ass have to wear black all the time?

"You can't out run death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it"

Money can't buy you love. - Terry Bogard

Yeah, but you'd be surprised what it can buy you for a few hours. - Joe Higashi

Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's interesting is the behind the scenes information from the set of Elektra...my dad worked on the project and I heard exactly the same thing from one of the stunt women...basically the director decided to make a "coming of age" film instead of an "action adventure" film. There were numerous martial artists and phenomenal fighters who were told by the director that their ideas and fight correography would take away from his "vision". They left tons of stuff on the cutting room floor and nearly had a riot on the set due to the directors total micromanagement and control...believe it or not, he wouldn't let the second unit shoot unless he was present...unlike most films where the second unit director calls the shots and films at a second location at the same time as the principal photography unit.

All in all...I think that the opinion of the crew that this wasn't the movie that audiences wanted to see played-out with the critical reviews of the final product. This wasn't the Elektra which could have been...and it was entirely the fault of the egomaniac with a "vision".
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 10:31pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's messed up, since it basically nullifies the purpose of a second unit.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 1:39am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuayThaiBri67
    I did read it. I was just pointing it out more because that was most likly their reason for making the costume red. Besides why do all the woman who kick ass have to wear black all the time?
    Because the red lingerie looked fucking stupid?

It's a HUGE issue with comic book movies when people try to stay TOO close to the canon. A stylized drawing of a big-titted woman in spandex fighting monsters looks great; trying to duplicate it in real life looks very, very ridiculous.

I know what you mean bwerb, I had the good fortune to talk to one of the guys who trained the stunt women with the sais -- he was AWESOME with them. It made me sad not to see some of the skill on the screen.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 2:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Because the red lingerie looked fucking stupid?

It's a HUGE issue with comic book movies when people try to stay TOO close to the canon. A stylized drawing of a big-titted woman in spandex fighting monsters looks great; trying to duplicate it in real life looks very, very ridiculous.
    Not to guys it doesn't.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 2:09am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because some of you think with your dicks dosen't change how stupid something is. It might look "hot" but it looks dumb. There are lots of hot, hot guys out there I'd like to see in spandex but I'd never claim it wasn't stupid looking.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 2:14am

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Just because some of you think with your dicks dosen't change how stupid something is. It might look "hot" but it looks dumb. There are lots of hot, hot guys out there I'd like to see in spandex but I'd never claim it wasn't stupid looking.

Her outfit is just a one piece, sometimes it's a thong or whatever depending on the artist, but it need not be any stupider then any given ninja outfit. I think when you move a comic movie to the screen, tho, it's better to lose the four-color look - anybody remember the spiderman, hulk, and captain america movies from the 80s? They looked great, didn't they?

I think part of the reason girls in movies don't look tough is because they tend to be even bigger dilletantes in the MA then male actors - it's long been a hollywood truism that it's easier to teach an actor to fight then a fighter to act. Most screen 'tough guys' just aren't that tough - it's up to the crew to make them look good- and it's harder to do with people that have had less training.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast