Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 9:05am

Style: BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How much is too much BJJ

I started with the Serra academy on April 20th. Since starting, I have not been able to think about anything else. I have been going and getting beat up almost every day. This week for instance, I attended mon,tues, wed and I m planning on attending today as well as going to a three hour seminar on Saturday. I feel a little soreness in my knees,shoulders, and elbows but nothing too bad. I absolutely love bjj, but I don't want to go overboard and get injured.

How often do you guys train and what do you think is a good ballance between training/resting. I am also trying to throw in a kettle bell strength/endurance/conditioning routine 3 times a week.

What do you think?

I've also been ignoring stand-up training. I have not been to Krav class since starting bjj.

Chemist

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say do it to it, as much as your body will handle, I think you'll know how much you can personally handle

the harder you train, the better you'll get
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I did Judo one of my old instructors told me something.

I said I like to be thrown by people who are experts because it feels like you are flying. I said, you know I could train 7 days a week!

He looked at me and said very seriously and said......Mmmmmm. Judo sickness.

I said, Judo sickness?!?! What is that?

He replied....too many throws.

What does this have to do with your BJJ addiction? Probably nothing.

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 10:13am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadchef
    I started with the Serra academy on April 20th. Since starting, I have not been able to think about anything else. I have been going and getting beat up almost every day. This week for instance, I attended mon,tues, wed and I m planning on attending today as well as going to a three hour seminar on Saturday. I feel a little soreness in my knees,shoulders, and elbows but nothing too bad. I absolutely love bjj, but I don't want to go overboard and get injured.

How often do you guys train and what do you think is a good ballance between training/resting. I am also trying to throw in a kettle bell strength/endurance/conditioning routine 3 times a week.

What do you think?
    It's really not the workout itself that limits you, it's the injuries. As long as you tap early and not play ego games, you can roll every day.
    I wish I could roll 4 times a week, if I make it 3 times I'm really happy. It's mostly twice a week which sucks.

I've also been ignoring stand-up training. I have not been to Krav class since starting bjj.
    erhm... I TOLD YOU SO!!...
    :))

But I'm sure you can get SOME standup done with Matt, it's not like he's a novice to standup:))))

Glad you like it.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 10:26am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say you should do as much BJJ as you can, but watch out so you don't overtrain your body and get injured and sick, which will limit you training more than just taking a week off to rest and heal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 10:32am

Style: BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy

erhm... I TOLD YOU SO!!...
    :))

But I'm sure you can get SOME standup done with Matt, it's not like he's a novice to standup:))))

Glad you like it.

Tomas
    I know...I know...everyone told me so.

Matt, Nick, Drago and half their train standup with Ray Longo. It is like their sister gym. I'm sure I'll be attending.

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 10:33am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just listen to your body. If you are overtraining you will know. If you have an injury make sure it's taken care of and plan your training accordingly. I am usually in 3 times a week, two BJJ classes and one Judo. But a friend of mine trains 6 days a week and has no problems injury wise.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 11:19am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What do you think?

I've run myself into overtraining a few times (one of them being right now actually).

First off, when I first started, I used to feel the same soreness (i believe everyone who's done BJJ has) but that was most likely because you're using muscles you havent on the past (with as much intensity). As someone else said, listen to your body, but be sure to know the difference between being tired and being exhausted.

That being said, you can still train if you're tired, so I'd advise you to learn how to train lightly (i.e. become a more technical fighter than one that relies on strength). If you're real tired, train your escapes and your defense, regardless of how hard your training partner is going. I personally believe this is the key to being able to train more often.

The kettlebell classes should kick your ass, so make sure you give yourself rest between that too. Three times a week seems pretty excessive- I would try to rest or train very light on the days you do both kettlebells and BJJ.

As far as your standup training, thats not my area, but I dont do much standup work now simply because I'd have to sacrifice some BJJ to do it.
    Last edited by Gumby; 5/05/2005 11:31am at .

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive found my personal limit to be around eight hours a week (5 classes) but that is pushing it.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    5/05/2005 12:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you are doing Krav, BJJ, conditioning workout - it seems you are hit with BJJ fever (I was goin in alot months ago when I was super excited). Once the initial happy period dies down you will know how to balance it out.

And you must find balance. In your training, and in the Force. You see, the Force is like duct tape. There is a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

If you are confused, watch Jet Li's "The One."

3|DI$0|)3 III 0|\| /\/\4Y 197|-|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast