Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 3:32am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but your first rant mostly shows your lack of understanding of sports training and the way the human body works, so I'm not really concerned with it.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    5/08/2005 6:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty big ass response for someone so lacking in concern.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2014 9:15am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's necro this thread.

A month or two of yoga practice, is it worth it? I won't be able to practice it for much longer because I'll be moving to another city where I can spend the time in more delightful ways like rolling in BJJ and doing some MMA, so I'd like to know if after one or two months of practice one can see noticeable changes in flexibility and mobility, maybe take some of the routines ( mantras? are they called that?) or techniques and add them to the tool belt. I've never done Yoga before.

I swear I do it for the health benefits and not the hot chicks in leggings.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/07/2014 5:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    Let's necro this thread.

A month or two of yoga practice, is it worth it? I won't be able to practice it for much longer because I'll be moving to another city where I can spend the time in more delightful ways like rolling in BJJ and doing some MMA, so I'd like to know if after one or two months of practice one can see noticeable changes in flexibility and mobility, maybe take some of the routines ( mantras? are they called that?) or techniques and add them to the tool belt. I've never done Yoga before.

Maybe you should try aikido for the aiki-bunnies?

I think the word you are looking for is "asanas".

I'd say give it a try, you might learn something. Yoga helped out with my Judo and overall physical well being for sure. A lot will depend on the type of yoga you do and the teacher. My teacher was a former dancer/dance teacher, so she had a pretty athletic viewpoint.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's necro this thread.

I did some yoga 2 or 3 days a week for about a month and saw some pretty fast results in my flexibility. Granted, I was also doing stretches at least twice a week after my workout. I had started the stretching routine first but seemed to get faster results with yoga.

I believe, like most things, you get out what you put in. I say go for it. What do you have to lose if you already have the extra time to spend practicing.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 10:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't "replace" yoga with BJJ/MMA. Supplement it. Yoga is largely about healing yourself mentally and physically, in addition to maintaining it.

Combining breathing and dynamic muscular movement is not only harder than it sounds because it IS exercise, it's a good way to massage the body regularly and alleviate muscle fatigue and promote regeneration.

BJJ/MMA might seem like they are "delightful" until the morning after class when your body hates you. Believe it or not, that can hold back your training by making you "too sore for class". Nothing sucks more than WANTING to go to class, but being so damn stiff from your last class that you have to skip. I fucking hate that.

Yoga and qi gong help fill that space between hard training and healing time. It's why qi gong and old school Chinese boxing are taught together, and why Yogic exercise's history relates to things like Zen Buddhism and even Christian mysticism. The Knights Templar, for instance, were exposed to it and were known to practice Hindu Yoga as part of their training and meditation (of course this practice and others became later part of the charges against them...practicing "evil" Hindu witchcraft ie yoga, many were burned alive for it).

Yoga/Qigong is like treating your body and mind to a day at the spa but instead of going anywhere, your body is the spa, and your mind turns inward and you "yoke" it with the rest of your body and limbs. This provides physical, mental, emotional, and for some, even spiritual release. You might get some of that in BJJ/MMA practice, but you'll also take a good deal of physical damage in the process.

Why do athletes love to hit the hot tub before and after workouts? Same thing, imo. With yogic or qigong exercises...you just need you and a decent instructor. Once you learn it, you have it forever.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/08/2014 11:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 11:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all. Sadly, no aiki-bunnies with whom I'd like to show my bjj.

I asked around the places and I'll hopefully be attending a class of Dynamic Yoga, which is (supposedly) the most physical one I could find since it's the aspect I'm interested in. I was also offered Kundalini Yoga, but I was warned that it was on the more spiritual side (they recite mantras during class). Other schools didn't even know what to answer when I asked about their type of yoga.

Rabbit, If you could expand on the Knights Templar doing yoga with some links I'd be delighted.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what kind of "mantras" there may be in some yoga, but don't be surprised if they tell you to bark or or make noises lol. I don't recall any phrases though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 11:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all. Sadly, no aiki-bunnies with whom I'd like to show my bjj.

I asked around the places and I'll hopefully be attending a class of Dynamic Yoga, which is (supposedly) the most physical one I could find since it's the aspect I'm interested in. I was also offered Kundalini Yoga, but I was warned that it was on the more spiritual side (they recite mantras during class). Other schools didn't even know what to answer when I asked about their type of yoga.

Rabbit, If you could expand on the Knights Templar doing yoga with some links I'd be delighted.
    Kundalini Yoga...without more specific info on exactly what they mean, I'd avoid it. It's a very internal/energy related practice (chakras and all that). Normally, you would spend a lot of time on the physical aspects of yoga to prepare your body/mind for the what can be rather overwhelming effects of the "kundalini experience", whatever it's cause or reality might be.

Just the physical aspects of yoga are very deep, in my experience, if you put time and effort into it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/08/2014 12:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try to find better sources than the one below, because some of the sources link back to Freemasonry etc so some might consider them somewhat nonobjective. It is well accepted by mainstream historians, though, that the Templar were fond of bringing all sorts of "weird" stuff back from the Crusades and their missionary work. One of those weird practices was Yoga, which given its pretty obvious physical benefits, was widely adopted and even shown to non-Templar. Sadly, many died for this reason as the practice was (and in many Christian denominations, still is) largely considered to be heresy, a form of idolatry of the body, and worship of the flesh.

Because of their military campaigns into the Middle East and Asia, the Templar are often credited with bringing a number of relics and esoteric practices back to Europe, including aromatherapy practices from Egypt and Yogic exercises from what is now known as the Indian subcontinent.

Part of the "problem" the Catholic church eventually had with the Templars came about because as a mobile monastic order (as opposed to the static ones), the Templar were exposed to many foreign cultural practices as well as competing Christian philosophies, and they preserved the knowledge they came across, including "alchemy", which is what things like aromatherapy and yoga were considered back then. The Church charged that they were replacing their Christian faith with this "alchemical knowledge" and thus it was used to sentence them to die as heretics.

The association of the Templars with the heretical sect of the Cathars (or Albigensians as they are also known) is of special interest, as this association helped fuel the charge of heresy against them. For the Cathars were gnostics, replacing faith with knowledge. Knowledge to them was firsthand religious or mystical experience.

The Knights Templar imbibed the doctrines of gnosticism from the Cathars, but also further elaborated Cathar heresies. From their long tenure in the Holy Land, they had also been exposed to eastern mysticism. Like the Cathars, they practiced meditation - in their case Hindu Yoga - to reach an altered state of consciousness to open the "third eye".
    This was known as white magic. There is also evidence, (discussed in chapter 1 of the book) which fully addresses the convoluted history of the Templars and their involvement with drugs.
    http://www.christian-restoration.com...ry/templar.htm
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/08/2014 12:38pm at .
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast