Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yoga

So I just started getting serious about strength training... But as a (n00b) grappler, my primary concern is that increased strength must not result in decreased flexibility. I have spent quite a bit of time stretching, but I still see a shortened range of motion holding me back.

Yoga has been advocated by many fighters and grapplers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcello Monteiro - 3rd degree BJJ black belt
    Yoga techniques help the fighter with stretching and to better channel their energy making them more efficient.
    Yoga for Grappling, the Secret of Champions
    Many of the top competitors and teachers in Brazilian jiu-jitsu practice some form of yoga to give them an edge over their opponents. Rickson and Royler Gracie, Murilo Bustamante, Vitor Belfort, Fernando “Margarida” Pontes, Ricardo Liborio, Wallid Ismael, and Roger Machado have all included yoga in their training.
    Not to mention Chuck Liddell, Ken Shamrock, Diego Sanchez, etc. It is officially certified “good stuff”.

I live in a town full of new age hippies... There are almost as many Yoga places here as there are MA dojang. So I figured it was time for me to check it out.

I was very impressed with my first class. It pulled my muscles to their limits. It left me exhausted but deeply relaxed. I could feel the workout it gave me the next day. It’s a wonderful combination of stretching, exercise, and meditation.

Yoga will definitely be a valuable addition to my training regiment.... namaste!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 5:20pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is nothing that yoga will do, for the most part, that a good strength training program won't do quicker and more efficiently. There are probably some movements that you could use, just as I have found some pilates movements useful. But for the most part, decent weight training will work better.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 5:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offense... but exactly what qualifications do you have that would make me believe your advice before that of the instructors and champions I have listed here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 5:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a degree in sports medicine and athletic training and nsca cscs. I've also done personal training and athletic training for a number of years. Not that it matters.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    There is nothing that yoga will do, for the most part, that a good strength training program won't do quicker and more efficiently. There are probably some movements that you could use, just as I have found some pilates movements useful. But for the most part, decent weight training will work better.
    I would expect time spent just focusing on flexibility and balance to yield better results in those areas then general purpose strength training for the same time.

The question is weither you will be able to find a sufficently strenuous yoga workout or end up at a Mc-yoga parlour filled with soccer-mums.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 6:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    I have a degree in sports medicine and athletic training and nsca cscs. I've also done personal training and athletic training for a number of years. Not that it matters.
    Damn right it matters!

The thing is... I’m sure I don’t have a “good” strength training routine by your standards.

I spend much more doing BJJ, conditioning, and cardio than I do ST. I don’t isolate. I don’t train to failure. I hit all my muscle groups in one fell swoop. I don’t have the education, training, experience, or time to dedicate towards a truly ideal ST regiment.

I’m a martial artist before I’m a body builder... and I believe Yoga will compliment my mixed bag of training very well.
    Last edited by BSDaemon; 5/01/2005 6:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rickson is like a yoga master- havn't you seen choke! all that crazy **** he does with his stomache

Yuppie Scum

Posted On:
    5/02/2005 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: Mantis, WC, Escrima/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 35, male-pattern hip stiffness, and beat to crap, I need yoga. I hope that it allows me to avoid injury and train for many more years.

Do yoga thrice a week at a hippie chick place in my office building. We also do the yogaesque Law Hon Gung exercises in mantis.
    Kung fu is translated as "stand around and talk."

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    5/02/2005 10:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After careful consideration regarding whose training methods I consider to be more credible: Athleticgirl or Rickson Gracie, I have chosen Rickson... Sorry Athleticgirl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2005 1:17pm

Style: Fabio Santos BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After careful consideration regarding whose training methods I consider to be more credible: Athleticgirl or Rickson Gracie, I have chosen Rickson... Sorry Athleticgirl.
    Be careful with this mentality, my friend. Rickson Gracie is amazingly well-versed in the subject of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I don't know that he has even remotely similar credibility in the subject of physiology. You certainly wouldn't set fire to your kneecaps because Rickson Gracie does it. My instructor is a 5th under Rickson and has decades of experience, but he has said some laughably inaccurate things regarding physiological processes. Evaluate the ideas, not just the sources.

Let me tell you of my BJJ experiences as pertain to this, strength training, and general fitness.

As you know, we typically do some light stretching prior to a BJJ session. I am not as flexible as most of the people with whom I train, who are mostly students that have more training time than me (some have less). However, my flexibility has not yet inhibited me in any way; I have never failed to execute a maneuver due to lack of flexibility. Granted, I would like to improve my ROM in a few situations, but that is for the sake of BJJ only. I also take great care to not be developing flexibility in the absence of strength in the newfound ranges of motion, as such is a recipe for injury.

The far more prevalent issue is one of "wind." I hear numerous stories of people being completely gassed out during their initial BJJ experiences, some to the point of vomiting. The only time I had anything remotely close to that was my first BJJ lesson, after which I felt moderately exhausted. I have NEVER had to stop due to exhaustion. Just this weekend I had *EVERY* white belt I rolled against give up from exhaustion. At one point, everyone else was laying on the ground for a "break" while I was standing around trying to get one of the advanced students to roll with me. This was with 2 minute rounds, even! I hate 2 minute rounds...I prefer going 5-10 minutes, but few others will do it. I should also mention that I roll with a small, soccer-style mouthguard...and I rarely breathe through my mouth.

So why is this? Well, I am larger than some of the people with whom I roll, but that's certainly not a constant. I am often paired with people who are heavier than me (although rarely stronger) by virtue of being taller and/or of higher bodyfat percentage. I only train BJJ once per week, so my technical ability is not exactly phenomenal. I don't do any "cardio" (moderate steady-state) activities, like running, swimming, etc. I strength train properly...once every 5 or 6 days for about 20 minutes. I am not a bodybuilder - my goals are purely general fitness improvements. The degree of physical exertion I undergo in strength training is far beyond anything else I have ever done, including BJJ. Proper strength training includes proper breathing, so I have also trained myself to subconsciously breathe properly during any demanding activity.

Now, I'm not suggesting that my anecdotal experience should be taken as general truth. I am one instance of applied theory that produced the desired results. However, I will mention that there is only one other person of comparable skill level at my academy who can roll with me for extended periods of time (5+ minutes without submission). That person is my roommate, a notably smaller individual who strength trains in the same fashion that I do.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast