Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2005 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I want a PhD...

and don't want to go to a real college to get it...

Anyone ever heard of :
    The American College of Martial Science School of Martial Arts

I saw this college listed on some guy's web site:

http://www.rankinmartialarts.com/rankin,_wm_phd.htm
    http://www.usselfdefense.org/site/vi...kin10thDan.pml

And nowhere else on google. Hmmm....

I have problems with the use of pretend academic credentials for martial arts (use of terms like PhD and Dr., etc.). Seriously, does this attract students, or only serve to boost one's ego?

I believe there is a type of degree offered by Dr. Jerry Beasley who has a real PhD at a school in Virginia which is accredited (a type of phys ed degree I thought), but other than that...

BTW, this guy was already covered in the "Most Patches" category before at Bullshido:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2218

Also envious:
    6th dan to 7th and 8th in 3 years
    8th dan to 9th and 10th in 10 years

On occasion, I've found you can often find a lot of these types by searching on the organizations that one belongs to, googling for that group, and pretty soon you can easily find many more people with similar credentials.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To hell with physics then. Why should I want to spend 4 years for a BS and then another 7 for a Ph.D. in physics when I can just go to Magic Land and get a Ph.D. in martial science???

PL

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 3:37am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that this has ANYTHING to do with the subject at hand...

But one of our neighbors told my wife that her masters degree wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Needless to say we haven't talked to her since. An unemployed certifiable nutcase is telling my wife her degree is ****. Yeah. Put herself through school, 4.0 all the way through masters. Lucky she didn't get punched in the mouth.

WTF is my point? I dunno. Maybe something about holding the integrity of higher education degrees. Or something. And people making PhD's for made up martial arts ****? Oh man.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've worked with a number of PhD's in engineering and science. I wouldn't begrudge any of them for using it on their business cards or whatever. Some put it after their name and some don't. But my one friend who had a PhD in engineering said "Doctor" as a title should be reserved for people who practice medicine and he never used that.

I didn't think that people who received an honorary doctorates would use the "Dr." title.

There's lots of these guys around (just looked up a few more for laughs):

http://www.umahof.org/founder.htm

"Awarded Doctor of Martial Arts Philosophy by Soke Klaus Schuhmacher and the Internation Council of Higher Martial Arts Education-2000 "

http://www.itbf.de/html/BiographyZuhairi.htm

"Ph.D in Asian Martial Arts"

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yasuri
    I've worked with a number of PhD's in engineering and science. I wouldn't begrudge any of them for using it on their business cards or whatever. Some put it after their name and some don't. But my one friend who had a PhD in engineering said "Doctor" as a title should be reserved for people who practice medicine and he never used that.
    Typically you find that's the case with anyone who really earned an academic/professional doctorate. Heck, one of my current professors was awarded the MacArthur Genius grant, has redefined his field twice, and doesn't like students referring to him as "doctor."

In my epxerience, it's mainly folks who buy degrees, almost always from unacredited insitutions, that seem to need the reminder that they're a "doctor."

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

rawr

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 'master' of the sifu from the McDojo that I was hornswoggled into joining always had 'Prof.' listed before his name, I almost guarantee it was from some mail order thing. Total scam artists.
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 2:32pm

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    Typically you find that's the case with anyone who really earned an academic/professional doctorate. Heck, one of my current professors was awarded the MacArthur Genius grant, has redefined his field twice, and doesn't like students referring to him as "doctor."

In my epxerience, it's mainly folks who buy degrees, almost always from unacredited insitutions, that seem to need the reminder that they're a "doctor."

- Matt
    Speaking from the other side of the fence, physicians really don't mind Ph.D's using the term "Doctor". In the strictest sense, "doctor" simply means "teacher"... thus, professors are well-entitled to using the title.

On our side, physicians being called "doctor" reminds us that part of our responsibility is education of the public and of patients.

Your friendly neighborhood physician,

Michael Quach, MD
    Pediatric Neurologist

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 4:45pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Not that this has ANYTHING to do with the subject at hand...

But one of our neighbors told my wife that her masters degree wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Needless to say we haven't talked to her since. An unemployed certifiable nutcase is telling my wife her degree is ****. Yeah. Put herself through school, 4.0 all the way through masters. Lucky she didn't get punched in the mouth.

WTF is my point? I dunno. Maybe something about holding the integrity of higher education degrees. Or something. And people making PhD's for made up martial arts ****? Oh man.

asshole like that are just mad that they dont have a degree.

a degree is something that can never be taken away, but jealous people will always try.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those interested, here's the "American College of Martial Science's" website. Not ethat they no longer ever require classes. Just a *sTHE N-WORD* thesis essay (and the cash). But it gets better, they're accreditied by an institution in that famed craddle of the Martial Arts... Saudi Arabia. Plus, you think such an upstanding institution would remember to update it's HTML titles. Anyway take a look (probably not a good idea to take a swig of anything while waiting for the link to load).

http://www.acms.edu/

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    5/01/2005 5:16pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Quach
    Speaking from the other side of the fence, physicians really don't mind Ph.D's using the term "Doctor". In the strictest sense, "doctor" simply means "teacher"... thus, professors are well-entitled to using the title.

On our side, physicians being called "doctor" reminds us that part of our responsibility is education of the public and of patients.

Your friendly neighborhood physician,

Michael Quach, MD
    Pediatric Neurologist

when i was studying acupuncture in china, the supervising doctors preferred that their students use the term "laoshi", which means teacher, as opposed to "daifu", which means doctor. in their society, a teacher was of a higher station then a doctor (i also think there was a historical context that made the word "daifu" not seem as worthy as it does in the states, but i never asked - it was low on my priority list).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast