Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/13/2002 2:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty sure they can still sue you even if they sign a waiver.

Okay, so lets say you rent a facility. You have access to punching bags and mats. The students buy their own pads and gear. You charge them a monthly fee. You sign waivers and then you are legal. That's it?

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty sure they can still sue you even if they sign a waiver.

Okay, so lets say you rent a facility. You have access to punching bags and mats. The students buy their own pads and gear. You charge them a monthly fee. You sign waivers and then you are legal. That's it?
    No. You still need commerical liability coverage against accidents that might occur on the premises. All that waiver does is provide you SOME protection against a civil suit, but no guarantees. You still are subject to criminal prosecution for failing to take necessary precautions and carrying the proper insurance. When you take someone's money as payment for services rendered, you are a commercial establishment and abide by all legal requirements governing your business.

If you don't take any money and just have people bring their own equipment, you are not a commercial establishment, though you must still have insurance. There's no perfect protection. You still have liabilities, but your exposure is somewhat lessened.

Talk to a lawyer. It's cheaper than losing your pants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 10:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I agree that a piece of paper does not mean you are qualified to be an instructor. That is a big controversy in the martial arts. Some people hold the official credentials and are horrible teachers. The problem is that a certificate makes a difference in the ability to get insurance for your school. "

Reply]
    My Kung Fu system has NO rank (I actually created one for marketing purpose), and I have no problem getting insurance. It even pays my legal bills if something happenes.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 12:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea but you have some kind of credentials, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, just 13 years of experiance

well, I have an assitant instructer certificate from my Tai Tzu teacher, and his authorisation to hold a study group. And I am a member of the Cloud Forest Chinese martial arts association.

I have a Blue Sash in Master Tsai's Kung Fu (taught in ealy 90's)

Most of my trainig has been in small underground groups in parks, backyards and basements/Garages with little public ascess. No lesson payments, no uniforms, no ranks, no patches, stripes or gold stars, just really good Kung Fu, and great barbaque after class. I am currently working with an underground Shui Chiao group (no name, just a bunch of guys) and I study under a senior of Wai Lun Choi for my internal practice.

When your good, you really don't need credentials, your teaching ability and knowledge speak for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said
    "well, I have an assitant instructer certificate from my Tai Tzu teacher, and his authorisation to hold a study group. And I am a member of the Cloud Forest Chinese martial arts association."

Reply (to myself)]
    Actually, I had been teaching for quite some time befor I got this certificate.

Edited by - Royal Dragon on August 20 2002 11:25:40
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 20 years of experience .. but no titles or certificates at all .. you are telling me I could go start a legitimate school and get paid for it?

I have decided I might go this route: I am writing a comprehensive book about my personal style. Later I could offer cheap videos and then private instruction. But the book will be able to stand alone hopefully. I want it to be available to kids who only have McDojo's in their area.

I just want to get the ideas and concepts I feel are important out there in a way that is clear and broken down and easy to understand. a book I wish I could have had as a kid.

But I just graduated from college again last week and I don't have a real job yet. No ads have been in the paper for graphics people. It would be nice to be able to make a little extra money doing something I love.

Can I just put an ad in the paper and get some students and teach them in my yard without getting sued? In the past I have taught friends and classmates but they would never have sued me - and I did teach a class for a while in a friend's dojo.

I reeeeally want some training partners again. Its been a little while. I miss training hard. I had 18 credit hours for 4 semesters and I was working a swing-shift before that for a year so I got a little out of shape. I'll get back in shape quick - I have a fast metabolism and my reflexes and reaction-time die hard.

How could I start a real club?

>> To be bound by traditional martial art style or styles is the way of the mindless, enslaved martial artist, but to be inspired by the traditional martial art and to achieve further heights is the way of genius. - Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started by

1. getting insurance,

2. I petitioned space in a elementary school gym. Then, I put flyers in the local school. The priviate schools will allow it if your nice, but most public schools require you to be "not for profit"

However, teaching kids is a whole different animal, so you may be better off opening up in a highschool or college. possibly rent space from a park dist. and teaching adults.

I found news paper ads really don't work. I gave up on that, and opened a Taiji class at the park dist. (Taiji for health, I'm not good enough at the combat). They did all the marketing for me, and I now have a small but dedicated group. You could easily do that, only with an MMA theme.

The hard part is going to be opening a comercial school. You will need the $$ for that. I'm luckey as I have some connections with a guy that ownes a gymnastics gym, and I got them to build me a studio (taking bids on the construction now). They have the extra room and all that needs to be done it lay a floor, paint and get it ready for the inspector's to say it's OK to occupy.

The important thing is to have quality material to teach, and the ability to give your students what they are paying for. If you are a pure reality school, you may have problems with student enrollment, as the main stream does not like the heavy contact. To be sucsessful, you may have to develop some sort of a main stream course.

Certificates, credentials and the like have nothing to do with openeing a comercial school. They are in reality only a marketing concept. I don't sugjest faking anything, it is better to have no verifyable credential than lie.

There is nothing more to it than getting a buisness license and renting a store front. All it takes is the start up capitol, and a good park Dist. program can raise that in time if you save all the proceeds in an account.

Edited by - Royal Dragon on August 20 2002 20:19:18
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/21/2002 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I could rent a room in the arena at the university .. I think other martial arts clubs do that.

Writing a book is helping me build a really structured curriculum. The book is helping me outline everything into sections. I call my personal style 9 Chamber Ko Ashi (small step in Japanese) As you might have guessed, the training is seperated into 9 chambers. There are a variety of drills and types of sparring. Each section builds a new set of skills and demands different training tools.

For example, in chamber 1 you learn how to put distance between you and an attacker and maintain it. In chamber 2 you focus on closing that distance.

For insurance, I guess I would talk to an attorney to find out what kind?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2002 6:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers:

Talk to both an attorney, to understand civil and criminal liability, and a GOOD insurance agent to get the appropiate liability insurance. You should already have some sort of homeowner's insurance. It should have a liability rider with it to cover accidents on your property. If you don't have one, your homeowner insurance writer could add it on. For a program using public property, they require some sort of liability coverage. Minimum coverage varies, so talk with them before choosing coverage.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast