Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been using russian kettlebells instead of free weights for the past four months and I've had pretty good results. They're kind of expensive, but there is a lot of cool **** you can do with them. The only place you can really get them is a website, www.dragondoor.com. If anyone else has used them, let me know how they have worked for you. I only have the 16 and 24 kg kettlebells, I guess they also have 32 and 40 kg ones as well (that's a lot of iron to be swinging around). I guess the wrestlers in Eastern Europe and Russia have been using them for centuries, so I figured I would give them a try. Definitely a quick way to break a sweat.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 7:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you tell me why they are good Vargas?

Why can't you use standard dumbells ?

--------
    Make friends with them until they beg for mercy.
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 9:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kettlebells are very awkward when handled (ie the weight isn't evenly distributed like a dumbell or barbell). Therefore, you are forced to use a lot of stabilizer muscles, like your obliques, abs and back. Also, kettlebells have a handle that you can use to swing the weight throughout a large range of motions. Checkout the webpage I posted, there are literally thousands of different exercises that you can do with a pair of kettlebells.

Don't get me wrong, dumbells are still useful, I just feel that kettlebells build a lot more dynamic strength and explosiveness as opposed to normal weight routines.

"I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 9:30pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might try them.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds really dangerous, Vargas. Wouldn't constantly fighting for control of it put you at risk of injury?

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 9:50pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then start low and work your way up.....
    slow controlled movements

--
    I attack flurriously!
    It smells like teen spirit.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 9:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PizDoff hit the nail on the head. Start slow and easy with lightweight kettlebells, preferably on mats or on grass/dirt so you can let the kettlebell go if you find yourself losing control of the weight. Once you get used to using the kettlebell, your body will learn how to brace itself when performing exercises. Just as you wouldn't try to power clean 200 lbs the first time in a gym, don't try and do snatches with a 32 kg kettlebell the first time you pick one up.

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 10:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i slaughtered the nail with my hammer fist :)

i'm dling the catalog now

--
    I attack flurriously!
    It smells like teen spirit.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/09/2003 11:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, one final note about www.dragondoor.com. Ignore the cheesy ads and testimonials. Apparently, those guys haven't discovered the less-is-more theory of product advertising. Pavel actually has a pretty good reputation, too bad it's hidden under all the hyperbole on that website.

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2003 8:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm, my entire workout consists of just dumbells. They seem to get my stabilizers pretty good...

I'd have to test out these kettlebells first. I've heard of them, but never seen them for sale anywhere...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast