Sponsored Links Spacer Image

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 3:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I can avoid the gag reflex... but its annoying as all get out. Especaily when I put it on before we actually get to it. I have some spares, so I'll try cutting mine back and see what that does. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 7:45am

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had one of the upper shockdocs and it molded really nicely and felt good when it was in.

That was until two days ago...when my dog ate it. Seriously.

Then yesterday morning she woke me up at five throwing it back up on the floor.

I'm going to try putting all the little chewed up pieces back together and seeing if I can reboil it so I can use it.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:18am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gag reflexes happen when the jaw is kept distended by the guard. Try cutting down the back ends of the guard so they don't protrude past your molars. You can even cut them a bit shorter than your molars if that helps, just so long as your teeth can't touch.

I use a boil-and-bite upper from...I think it's called SharkZone. 16 bucks (Canadian) from the Tensor-bandage company. It's head and shoulders above my old Shock Doctor, which I found warped easily and ALWAYS made me want to vomit.

Any of you guys who think a one-piece with breathing channel is going to help you straight-on or side-to-side, you're on crack. That's not what a mouthguard is designed for. It's designed to keep your jaw and teeth in line (and even then, only if you're biting a bit...if you're slackjawed, nothing is going to save you!) to avoid shattering/chipping/biting/dislocating the teeth and jaw. It's not going to keep your head from whipping around, your brain from banging inside your cranium or your ass from hitting the floor.

A properly used upper is all most of us will ever need. Assuming you're not panting like a dog in heat, your lips should hold it in place while breathing between combos. If you're losing it while your head is being bashed, then you're not keeping that jaw tight. It's that simple.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just take out your dentures.

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my complaints against the doubles is that if I ever had to fight someone I wouldn't have that thing in, and my jaw strength would be all fucked up without it.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:40am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couple things. I still use a Brainpad Lo-Pro it is the best for me I hate the Original Brainpad, it's way too tall. Also A good fit in your first try is more important than which brand or type you use. I had a $5 boil and bite that I LOVED simply because it happened to take a really good fit when I molded it. This is by far the most important part of choosing a Mouthguard. I've used several brands and I think that the original shape as far as length and arc are really importan for getting a good fit.

Fitting the Brainpad is easy but kind of scary. Because you got to throw that fucker in your mouth the instant it comes out of the boiling water! It should feel like a soft dough if you heated it long enough. Otherwise your screwed and need to start over. I've never gotten a good fit on a second boil.

Gagging: I used to gag constantly on the Original Brainpad and my first Shock Doctor. The length was definately the problem for me I have to trim my Mouthguards so that they barely cover my molars. Otherwise gag-city. Trim to length before you heat it. Then trim more if you need to after you fit it.

As far as a single top being enough. If you regularly hit to the head in kickboxing style sparring (like I do) I think you're crazy for wearing a single guard. I wouldn't get in the ring with anything less than my Brainpad Lo. If all you do is roll you may not even need one. I rarely wear one in Bare knuckle sparring either.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:41am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    One of my complaints against the doubles is that if I ever had to fight someone I wouldn't have that thing in, and my jaw strength would be all fucked up without it.
    I hope you are kidding. That is the most insane reason I've ever heard to not wear a mouthguard. If you chew your food, you have plenty of jaw strength.

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:55am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with what you said about the jaw sliding too much Shumagorath, the bottom of the Shock Docter doesn't really seem to prevent my jaw from shifting. It'll even be worse when/if I take a full on hook to the jaw.

You DID apologise back then, but I'm not asking for one at all. I know you didn't mean it, and these things will happen (some guy dropped his shin on my groin while grappling!!! *Cringes* ) and it's all good.

JKing - You've tried even the Shock Doctor v3.0? I find my gag reflex went away after a bit. I had the double larger profile WIPS one, kept gagging, on it.
    Also try warming to mouthpiece a LITTLE bit, I've found it helps so the mouthpiece isn't too foreign on a body in your mouth.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 8:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screw mouthguards !!
    **** groin cups !!!
    No more ***** protection !!!
    Time to bring back nude grappling like the good old days !!!

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 9:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just you and me at the next McThrowdown RONIN69!!!!

OMFG! LOLZ!!!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast