Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, it's an easy accident... just last week i clocked my training partner in the temple with my shin doing an armbar. i felt really bad, she had to stop training for a few minutes and eveyone was staring at me like i was an axe murderer. i think it's a reminder to keep your head UP when in guard... either that or as close to their body as you can. in between is a bad place to be as far as i can tell (but by all means correct me if i am wrong.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 10:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wich is better, swinging the leg over or kicking it through (which is why kicking people in the head for armbars happens...)
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Antishock 3.0 is good, but my jaw still slides way too much. If I got hit full-on front to the front or side of the jaw I don't think the mouthguard would make a huge difference. Since tomorrow looks to be a slow day at work, I think I'll go check out the double-layered Antishock. The problem is that my jaw will still have to be in a fixed position, so it's probably not worth sinking another $30 when I can use the BrainPad if I expect to get punched to sleep.
    On the plus side, I put the Antishock 3.0 in and I couldn't even tell it was there. That moulding is top-notch. I think I clenched my teeth too hard into it a few times though, which indicates that I'm still way too tense.

Monkey today clarified what he told me; he said a cheap $3 piece of rubber would be good enough for grappling, but since he said the SD single kept him awake after that big punch then I guess it can't be all bad. I'm pretty sure the Pride and UFC guys would be using them already if they were so great...

And Piz, I get booted in the face all the time when working inside someone's guard. It's a fact of grappling. Still, if I didn't apologize then I do now.

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
    i use the shock doctor 3.0 i used to have a brain pad lo-pro and that was ok, but the shock doc is WAY better. great for both stand up and grappling. i wear it every time i roll cause you never know when someone's gonna accidentally kick you in the face when trying to armbar you from the guard.

it takes a little while to get used to if you are used to the fit of the normal style single kind.
    How did you find it restricted the mobility of your jaw? Does it still make you clench? How is the airflow through the middle vent? The BrainPad's strength in my opinion is that the air channel is huge for something that absorbs so much punishment.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 6/30/2004 8:25am at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 12:07am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    How did you find it restricted the mobility of your jaw? Does it still make you clench? How is the airflow through the middle vent? The BrainPad's strength in my opinion is that the air channel is huge for something that absorbs so much punishment.
    no resriction in jaw movement as far as i can tell. (of course no one can understand what you say when you try to talk with it in.)

you have to clench a little, but it stays put when you don't (unless that's when you get hit.)

the airflow is as good or better than the brainpan, there is a channel in the middle for airflow.

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I have a problem with mouth peices that may be a bit unusual...

Everytime I wear a mouthpeice, even if I'm not sparring or rolling and just wearing it in my mouth, after about 5 minutes it makes me want to vomit. It seriously makes me feel sick. I've tried all kinds, and I still use them (and I haven't barfed yet) but the feeling is very uncomfortable. Anyone have/had/know of a similar problem? Any fixes?

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're just grappling, I say a double mouthguard is a bit overkill. I mean, you aren't taking repeated blows to the head. But for stand-up, yes, I'd definitely go for a double mouthguard.

I currently have some cheap-ass $5 double mouthguard and I fucking hate it. It has a "breathing channel" but it's worthless. By the time you need to resort to mouth breathing, you're winding pretty hard and that little channel just makes you feel like you're suffocating. I end up opening my mouth anyway.

I need to go out and get a decent single since I mostly do grappling these days.
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 1:01am

Style: Practical Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use an upper boil and mold, I love it... Never failed me yet and taken some punches right on the jaw that pratically went right thru my head. I have a brain pad, dunno why I felt like I should have bought it one day, but it gags me if I dont get moving and thinking about other stuff. If your gagging on a mouthpiece, cut it shorter so it doesnt go so far back in your mouth. I just havent bothered fixing that one yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 2:09am

Style: BJJ / Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either that or get rid of your gag reflex...

Taking a break

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 2:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by JKing
    Ok, I have a problem with mouth peices that may be a bit unusual...

Everytime I wear a mouthpeice, even if I'm not sparring or rolling and just wearing it in my mouth, after about 5 minutes it makes me want to vomit. It seriously makes me feel sick. I've tried all kinds, and I still use them (and I haven't barfed yet) but the feeling is very uncomfortable. Anyone have/had/know of a similar problem? Any fixes?
    Yup... I have the same problem.
    All I've come up with is to suck hard, create a vacuum in the mouth and supress the gag reflex that way.

Alternatively, you could puke in the corner, then carry on. Your training partners will have a new found respect for you at that point.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2004 3:06am

Style: On the injured list....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like my O-Pro mouthguard. I've used several mouthguards out in the market:

1) O-Pro - I love this one and I can wear it all day without discomfort. Lots of padding and breathing with it is great. Fits snug and will stay put after a hard hit to the jaw. This piece is a do-it yourself mold kit. Included is an audio CD with a british guy telling you how to mold your teeth. After you're done, you send it with the included paid postage box. Few weeks you get it in the mail and you're ready to bang. I paid $59 for the heavy duty version. You even get to customize it with colors. Unfortuantely I had to order a second one. I left my first one on the dashboard of my car on a hot day and it deformed...unrepairable with boil n bite method. However, its worth the money.

2) Shockdoctor - One of my favorites and my backup piece. Although it's a boil n bite, it fits pretty snug, but it can come loose if you get hit pretty hard.

3) Proform - Expensive 120-150 from your dentist. This piece takes a while to make. Your dentist will need to take a plaster mold of your teeth. It'll take several weeks before its done. It's comfortable to wear and fits snug, but it doesn't offer enough protection for the dreaded uppercut. Be sure to keep you plaster molds, so you can show your friends how many teeth you have left, or save them to make bleaching trays.

4) Whipps Brainpad - I hate it. Too bulky and uncomfortable to wear during hour of training. Breathing sucks with it, plus you'll end up drooling.

5) Boil n' Bite - You get what you pay for. I hate this one. If you get knock in the teeth and it hurts, then its time upgrade.

Clear mouthguard by Proform and Opro in black

Last edited by redrover; 6/30/2004 3:10am at .
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast