Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found that the top & bottom mouthguards (like boxers use) make breathing difficult. You can get come pretty good boil & bite mouthgaurds at any big sporting goods store. I would highly recommend getting one with a "breathing channel"...I think that's what they're called...basically makes breathing easier when your clamped down. However, the best thing to do is tighten up your hand skills so that you don't get hit. : )

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I followed WhiteShark's advice on the BrainPad Lo-Pro, but I find it doesn't stay in unless I clench my teeth. It doesn't take impressions very well even after I reset it today. It was also overkill for grappling, which leads me to my next point...

Monkey* told me about Shock Doctor singles and says that his kept him awake after a huge punch from some guy in his guard, so today I picked up a Shock Doctor Anti-Shock 3.0 single. For a standard bite-and-boil, it takes an impression of my teeth almost as well as that pink gel they used to mold my teeth for fitting braces. I can't shake this thing out if I headbang like I'm in a hairmetal band. I'll add more after class tonight, but I think I might pick up the double tomorrow if I decide my jaw slides too much with the single.

*This guy: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...?fighterid=999
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 6/29/2004 4:49pm at .

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the BrainPad, it works for me. But Shumagorath is right, it doesn't take impressions very well and I have to bite down hard to keep it in my mouth. But it has saved both my teeth and my conciousness when getting stomped by Dogzilla. Personally, Dogzilla hates the BrainPad and uses just the standard single mouthguard and hasn't had any problems thus far.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think a man named "Dogzilla" needs a mouthguard for anything other than having something to sink his teeth into while he fights.

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 5:41pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now this is a great example of a respected member of a forum using the SEARCH function before starting another thread. Good work!

Shuma - Oh that guy is the "Monkey" you told me about.
    I've totally seen him fight in the UCC.

Funny you bring that up Shuma, I've got that mouthguard right beside me, ran upstairs to check if it was the same thing, and it is! I did use it the last McThrowdown, I guess you didn't like the spit retention your mouthguard gave? :D
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 5:51pm

Style: Kajagoogoo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been using a boil and bite and I've gotta say that I hate the damn thing. It only covers the top teeth, so if I want to breathe I have to leave my bottom teeth unprotected (because I'm a mouth breather; there I admit it). On top of that, I've had to reset it on numerous occasions becuse I found that it had a slight tendency to warp if I left it in the car on a hot day.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had mine custom made by my dentist. It cost me about $100, but it fits perfectly.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i use the shock doctor 3.0 i used to have a brain pad lo-pro and that was ok, but the shock doc is WAY better. great for both stand up and grappling. i wear it every time i roll cause you never know when someone's gonna accidentally kick you in the face when trying to armbar you from the guard.

it takes a little while to get used to if you are used to the fit of the normal style single kind.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 6:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the shock doctor as well. I've had no problems with it, it works great. If I don't wear it I usually end up biting my tongue... Haha.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    6/29/2004 7:10pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
    i wear it every time i roll cause you never know when someone's gonna accidentally kick you in the face when trying to armbar you from the guard.
    *Cough*Shumagorath*Cough*
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast