lol

Titan

Posted On:
    3/24/2003 6:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FD, please refrain from butchering our language.

To answer the poor guy's question, I would say BJJ would compliment wrestling very well.

Learning to control, and finish someone more effectively on the ground can only be a good thing.

On the other side of the coin wrestling would compliment BJJ very well, the takedowns are fantastic, and usually leave you in a very strong posistion when you get to the ground.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    3/24/2003 8:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    agreed.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/25/2003 3:04am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I've have to say that wrestling would help your BJJ but not necessarily the other way around. If you've been a wrestler and suddenly start training BJJ and then go back to wrestling, it will take you some time to get back into that frame of mind (couple of days, maybe?) Since wrestling is all about shoulders to the mat and BJJ could care less about that kind of positioning, there can be some negative habit transfer. Plus, there are a lot of fouls in wrestling (hands locked on the ground, etc. . .) that might catch a BJJ-trained guy.

I know I will take some flak for this next point, but oh well. BJJ guys don't have the intensity and drive of wrestlers. I'm not saying they are in worse conditioning or anything. They just try to flow more and conserve juice, while wrestlers start the match at 100% and just rev it up from there. So BJJ training might not keep you in the high RPM mind-set you need for wrestling. Just a thought.

I whole-heartedly agree with the idea that BJJ and wrestling compliment each other. A trained fighter with a wrestling/BJJ background is poison on the ground and should be kept on their feet at all costs (and that will be easier said than done).

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"

Edited by - Vargas on March 25 2003 21:08:08
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/25/2003 4:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >If you've been a wrestler and suddenly start training BJJ and then go back to wrestling, it will take you some time to get back into that frame of mine (couple of days, maybe?) Since wrestling is all about shoulders to the mat and BJJ could care less about that kind of positioning, there can be some negative habit transfer.

Vargas is absolutely right about this. Going from sub grappling to wrestling you have to break alot of habits. I went back to wrestling and in the first practice I guilotines a guy who shot in on me.

Also FD was right about one thing. Wrestlers have been and still are one of the top conditioned atheletes. If you been around wrestlers you've probably heard the phrase, 'No one trains harder than a wrestler.' they are almost right swimming is more physically demanding though. Submission grappling does not require the conditioning you need for wrestling because you can win alot easier in sub grabbling than in wrestling. So if you come across a sub grappler with a wrestlign background (like me for instance) expect a fight.(and if you are fighting me expect to get you ass kicked!)

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Titan

Posted On:
    3/25/2003 4:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I think I misunderstood the question. I was talking from a fighting (no rules to break) POV, I understand what you're saying though.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/25/2003 8:16am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your only as good as how hard you push yourself.

I've seen some fatass wrestlers before, no he wasn't very good because he never went to practice and never did anything.

I am saying that yes wrestlers do workout hard but so do alot of other people.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    3/25/2003 5:55pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In your case Asia, I know for sure I would get my ass whoop by someone with your background.

Carbon, for your info, there are fatass in all sports (especially Sumo wrestling).

Just throw rock at it and it will go away.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/25/2003 11:35pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though a sumo would whoop your ass.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Posted On:
    3/26/2003 12:45am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC1?

once he mounts you......it's over lol

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
    Training in Nike-Do lets you laugh at how tired the other guy is. *Pant, Pant*
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678