Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 10:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was hoping to get some opinions from anyone who has actively done both BJJ and some form of High School wrestling.

I have no experience in High School wrestling but was asked by someone who does that if adding BJJ training would start to screw up his wrestling.

Any have any clue if a high school wrestler supplements his training with BJJ if that will take away from his wrestling game, or make it better?

thanks

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It won't really make his competitive wrestling much better, but it will make him a FAR better fighter.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel - I agree with that 100% but he is more worried that it will possibly take away from his 'wrestling' skills and he will do worse in competition - I have no clue.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our gym has high school wrestlers that also do submissions. They don't seem to think it messes up their folkstyle game. However, our 'brand' of submission wrestling is very take-down oriented (jumping to the guard and camping out on the bottom are frowned on) and pretty close to 'normal' wrestling. Some BJJ schools are very guard-oriented and this is probably the source of his concern.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vargas - I personally do not teach people to jump to the guard and then camp. I do however teach people how to work from the guard (and all other positions).

Any clue if too much guard training will screw him up? I'm not trying to change any of what he already knows, just add BJJ to his existing skills.

At this point in his life he is more concerned with being a better wrestler than in defending himself - but he would like to learn the BJJ as long as it does not take away from his wrestling skills.

Thanks

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like this question.

I think that BJJ offers a great number of options for how the individual can tailor it to their needs or their abilities. It's not dogmatic, so people don't reject the appearance of something that "isn't" BJJ, as we have heard occurs in other systems. At my own school, their is a great variety in the way people balance their skills. There are people who work a lot from the guard. I prefer to work on the establishment of position in general from the feet to the floor, so I like working with the wrestlers.
    Your friend should be able to incorporate ALL of BJJ without sacrificing his wrestling senses. One thing I will offer is that his wrestling will DEFINITELY improve his BJJ.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 5:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have another question. Does anyone think a wrestler has a good chance in defeating a BJJ stylist without using brute strength?

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 7:26pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestler are always well built and extremely strong. A lot of wrestler are stronger than a football player. In fact, there are probably no atheltic that have total of endurance, strenght, and other things that could match wrestler. Football aren't even close and boxer isn't either.

If a wrestler isn't strong or well built then that mean they have a lousy coach or they aren't serious about wrestler. I have never saw any wrestler who aren't in shape that are serious about wrestling during whole high school. So it is almost impossible to find a wrestler who doesn't use strengh. There are some who use leverage or tripping but this is very rare because you will need to use a lot of strenght to pin them down.

Just throw rock at it and it will go away.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most wrestlers are in good condition with crappy skills imho.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    3/08/2003 9:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ

Wrestling

Choose your poison.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast