Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kungflujitsufliptric.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video cracks me up. It reminds me of back when my friend and I used to spar in my basement. Both of us were too scared to get near each other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 1:45pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FormLess
    So which one was praying mantis and which one was wing chun? At least they stuck with thier respective arts and didn't attempt armlocks or groundfighting. I'm sick of people who do this and when they win they attribute it to thier art instead of to some bastardized version of jujutsu that they picked up from watching TV.
    The black guy is doing mantis.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 2:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    The title of the video is complete Bullshido!

Neither one of the two fighters exhibit any stylistic elements of either Wing Chun or Northern Mantis. So it is farcical to say that this is a style vs style spar.

Just from their stances and the way they hold their hands they seem to be doing some kind of freestyle karate.

Northern Mantis figting stance is quite distinctive and it would be easy to spot. No one is doing any kind of trapping/punching really and this is a feature of both styles. I would also expect them to face eachother rather than be in side high horse stance. Beable to do sticky leg, have good knowledge of where to place their hands and how to guard their center etc.

Have you ever studied or researched Northern Mantis? Do, you realize many of the base forms in Northern Mantis (Not Wushu Forms) are fist forms. Side Hands, Reverse punches, low kicks etc. In the very beginning you learn to kick and punch.
    Hell I have a video of some mantis sparring where they are in a normal sparring stance but use Mantis tecniques. Not the unrealistic stances you see in Kung fu movies.

Now we can argue the stances all day. You know what? I've seen more people abandon their traditional styles (imitative Monkey tiger Mantis WT) in the ring. That is why you will find many TMA on this board saying MT or boxing for striking. I like TMA imitative styles but, I realize boxing mixed with a grapplin art is good.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how the guy said "break" when the white shirted guy got his leg semi-somewhat grabbed following a side kick. I think the WC guy got into WC because he likes Bruce Lee, since he seems to be fighting with a cinematic Bruce Lee impersonation.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 3:08pm

Style: Short Fist & Pak Mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a much longer version of this clip somewhere.

It looks like alot of the throwdown clips to me. I see two guys with unknown experience doing some light sparring.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by small
    I have a much longer version of this clip somewhere.

It looks like alot of the throwdown clips to me. I see two guys with unknown experience doing some light sparring.

[5th grade]
    DIS!!!!!!
    [/5th grade]
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 8:36pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell I have a video of some mantis sparring where they are in a normal sparring stance but use Mantis tecniques. Not the unrealistic stances you see in Kung fu movies.
    I have seen some traditional mantis style sparring and you could really spot it. Can you point out even one Mantis technique that either one of them do?

Also if you abandon your style in sparring and start using another way of fighting you are no longer performing as a student of that style.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 11:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently you forgot what you posted. You said it is Bullshido and not WT VS Mantis. I called you on that because seeing some videos doesn't an expert make.

1:08 The kick is an inside Mantis Kick and the sweep (not wushu low) is from Mantis.

He also throws some knee traps that are in Northern Mantis.

The Roundhouse is in mantis and so is the side thrust.

No it isn't pretty mantis. No it doesn't have the stylistic poses you are looking for but still it could be mantis.

Also, maybe not good WT either. Yet, I see the blocks and some of the arm positions from WT. Looks closer to JKD concepts still could be WT.

That picture you used is a wushu pic. You know performance based not fight based. Talk to a Northern Mantis Traditional guy. He will tell you that she is holding her fingers wrong for mantis hooking or striking.

Traditional schools also don't spar like that if it is more fight oriented not point sparring.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1421711/demofight-2.WMV.html

I think this is what you are looking for but, these are partner drills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2005 1:12am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Apparently you forgot what you posted. You said it is Bullshido and not WT VS Mantis. I called you on that because seeing some videos doesn't an expert make.
    It is Bullshido that it is WC vs Mantis. Because they are predominantly doing another style of fighting which seems like JKD or freestyle karate. :spanky:

I am no 'expert' in Mantis and shouldnt need to be to an expert to spot the style being used. The same for WC.

1:08 The kick is an inside Mantis Kick and the sweep (not wushu low) is from Mantis.

He also throws some knee traps that are in Northern Mantis.

The Roundhouse is in mantis and so is the side thrust.

No it isn't pretty mantis. No it doesn't have the stylistic poses you are looking for but still it could be mantis.

Also, maybe not good WT either. Yet, I see the blocks and some of the arm positions from WT. Looks closer to JKD concepts still could be WT..
    You seem to be saying that because there may be e a few moves similar to mantis it 'could be mantis'. Comments like that would break a sifu's heart :). When these students are supposed to be representing WC and Mantis it just isnt good enough to say it 'could be' those styles.

Most of the moves you describe appear in many different MAs eg. roundhouse is in TKD. At one stage one guy goes for a mount position - so he's trying to do BJJ moves too. Myself I didnt make out any knee traps - they look like clashing footwork/bodies. A fusion of many systems isnt WC vs Mantis. So it is bullshido to claim this.

That picture you used is a wushu pic. You know performance based not fight based. Talk to a Northern Mantis Traditional guy. He will tell you that she is holding her fingers wrong for mantis hooking or striking.

Traditional schools also don't spar like that if it is more fight oriented not point sparring.
    It might be the Wushu version of Mantis but besides some of the minor details the overall structure is almost identical. The funny thing is that the Mantis fighter in the video doesnt do any Mantis style hooking or striking.

Looks closer to JKD concepts
    The sparrers move so similarly that the primary style of both MAers is likely to be the same: JKD or freestyle karate. Therefore the video title should be renamed to reflect what style they are really using.

Just because they may be trying to include some influences from WC/Mantis as part of what they are doing doesnt make them fighters representative of those systems.
    Last edited by Lefty; 4/25/2005 3:05am at .

Posted On:
    4/25/2005 1:22am

Style: hate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    these guys dont agree with you that it was a bitchfight:
    http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=36448
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast