Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/23/2005 5:37pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun vs Praying Mantis (bitchfight)

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/23/2005 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sigh. old.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2005 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kungflujitsufliptric.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So which one was praying mantis and which one was wing chun? At least they stuck with thier respective arts and didn't attempt armlocks or groundfighting. I'm sick of people who do this and when they win they attribute it to thier art instead of to some bastardized version of jujutsu that they picked up from watching TV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 5:11am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido video!

The title of the video is complete Bullshido!

Neither one of the two fighters exhibit any stylistic elements of either Wing Chun or Northern Mantis. So it is farcical to say that this is a style vs style spar.

Just from their stances and the way they hold their hands they seem to be doing some kind of freestyle karate.

Northern Mantis figting stance is quite distinctive and it would be easy to spot. No one is doing any kind of trapping/punching really and this is a feature of both styles. I would also expect them to face eachother rather than be in side high horse stance. Beable to do sticky leg, have good knowledge of where to place their hands and how to guard their center etc.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 5:28am

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They don't? The one guy looks patently like a wing-chunner minding his centerline to me.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 6:39am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    The title of the video is complete Bullshido!

Neither one of the two fighters exhibit any stylistic elements of either Wing Chun or Northern Mantis. So it is farcical to say that this is a style vs style spar.

Just from their stances and the way they hold their hands they seem to be doing some kind of freestyle karate.

Northern Mantis figting stance is quite distinctive and it would be easy to spot. No one is doing any kind of trapping/punching really and this is a feature of both styles. I would also expect them to face eachother rather than be in side high horse stance. Beable to do sticky leg, have good knowledge of where to place their hands and how to guard their center etc.
    Please make us a video of what wc looks like against any other art.
    That way we can compare, and understand you r statement better.
    Thanks.

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 8:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    They don't? The one guy looks patently like a wing-chunner minding his centerline to me.
    Yeah I agree but the guy in the white shirt rarely guards his center in a structured way like I'd expect to see in WC. He looks kind of like freestyle karate - with the lead arm low and the back arm often coming up to cover the side of the head.

Also he isnt using WC footwork. He is doing high kicks and has a wide side stance. In WC these arent used and he would be considered wide open. So although he may mind his centerline a bit he isnt really an appropriate representative of WC - although he is likely the WC fighter of the two.

The guy in the black shirt has much the same stance and fighting repetoire as his opponent. However his lead arm is left almost completely straight out most of the time. That isnt advisable in WC because the arm can be grabbed, trapped and pinned etc. it also reduces response speed and power. However, It also doesnt seem like Northern Mantis.

Northern Mantis fighters generally assume the posture of a mantis with both wrists bent, like in this picture: Northern Mantis

Neither of the two MAers assume this quite distinguishing stance...

I'm guessing that both MAers come from the same school where they got shown some concepts from both arts and decided to try and spar like that but werent really able to represent the two different styles and fell back on what they know.

Maybe some kind of JKD or freestyle karate school perhaps?
    Last edited by Lefty; 4/24/2005 8:26am at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't tell either who was doing which style.But I did like how the black shirt guy came in with a kick to the white shirt head.The white shirt guy could have lost his head if he was fighting Karate or Muay-thai.I think WC or Mantis with there guards low is very indicative of both there styles.IMO!

Hey !did you guys see how the white guy seem to grab the butt cheek of the black guy?

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 9:50am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SEARCH FUNCTION.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    YeahNeither of the two MAers assume this quite distinguishing stance...
    Probably because the stance is ridiculous and leaves your head unprotected and makes striking more difficult from the weird Richard Simmons-esque bend in their wrists.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast