Posted On:
    3/07/2003 12:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Biting - I've heard that, if someone bites you (or a dog), it's better to push INTO the bite, rather than pull away. Pulling away will just rip your skin.

Rashomon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 1:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are the "fouls". They are under the "Learn UFC" tab.

Fouls:
    Butting with the head.
    Eye gouging of any kind.
    Biting.
    Hair pulling.
    Fish hooking.
    Groin attacks of any kind.
    Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
    Small joint manipulation.
    Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
    Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
    Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
    Grabbing the clavicle.
    Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    Stomping a grounded opponent.
    Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
    Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
    Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
    Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
    Spitting at an opponent.
    Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
    Holding the ropes or the fence.
    Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
    Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
    Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
    Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
    Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
    Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    Interference by the corner.
    Throwing in the towel during competition.

These are the ones I would (realistically) like to see made legal:
    Butting with the head.
    Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    Stomping a grounded opponent.
    Striking downward using the point of the elbow.

Come on. These are pretty basic attacks, especially the headbutt. Also, can you imagine how the ground game would change if you could kick, knee, and stomp a grounded opponent?

UFC/Pride is the closest thing I've seen to "real" fighting, but it's still a sport. (Not dissing it. I love the stuff. Just pointing out the difference.)

Rashomon

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 1:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And to think, the early days of UFC consisted of three rules:

No Biting
    No Eye gouging
    No Fishhooking

Some of the ones taken out were taken out to make the UFC legitamtely acceptable in many States. I'd like to see some of the moves you mentioned brought back to the UFC.

Lots of the moves taken out didn't "do" much in the early UFCs - they weren't very effective.

Rashomon, you can never predict how "real" fighting is going to be like - in many cases the UFC may be far more brutal, you just don't know. "Real" fighting isn't necessarily hand-to-hand anyway. PrideFC allows stomping and soccer kicking on the ground. It's not "no rules" fighting, obviously.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

***ned

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 1:58am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On "Smashing Machine: Life and Times of Mark Kerr", the HBO special, there was an interesting aside concerning new regulations.

In the beginning, Mark Kerr specialized in getting the takedown, followed by many many knees to the head, headbutting, etc. Eh, but what can you do. Personally, I really like the old UFC/Vale Tudo style matches where practically everything was allowed. But that Mark Kerr...oh man.

~
    delirious

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 2:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah they should be allowed to knee to the head etc in the ufc when down - you can still do that in Pride FC though, and Kerr has fought in that too...

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 2:24am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Pretty limited, and they call it real. HA!" - It is real?

Titan

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 5:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knife Fighter you fool, those rules are there to protect the athletes who compete from pointless injurys.

Trying to bite and gouge someone who has mounted you, and is punching you in the face is not going to get them off.

However, biting and gouging someone when you have mounted them, is going to cause them serious damage.

Plus including bites, gouges etc. into training is not hard as long as you know the posistions and are comfortable on the ground.

If you do end up having to defend yourself for real, you can use your skills to atain a domininant posistion and then sit there thumbing your opponent in the eye to your hearts content, he won't be able to do anything. Why ? Because you controled him and placed him in a posistion where he was defenceless. Not because "You were better at eye gouging than him."

Can you understand that ? Or am I wasting my time ?

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 9:17am

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what about the headbutting and stomping? If knock some one of the ground and I am a striker wouldn't make sense to get a few stomps in? Also the no spine hits and hits to the back of the head, doesn't also limit strikers since now they can be tackled and when the bjj guy got his back wide open they can't hit it. Those rules seem to favor grappling guys.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Titan

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They were available during the early competitions, we didn't see anyone's neck or back broken.

Have you ever tried elbowing when someone's taking you down, it's easier said than done.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Space may be the final frontier,
    But it's made in a Hollywood basement.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast