Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:09pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crawford's MMA (Y'kno...where Phrost goes)

I just joined this place in Overland Park KS on the recommendation of, nay, insistence of, Phrost. Went tonight for their "Sport Jujitsu" class. It's in quotes because to the guys at Crawford's, "sport jujitsu" means full-on MMA with no mercy for noobs.

The good: About ten guys there.
    All of them between 165 and 300 lbs. (No little dudes)
    An amateur MMA guy. A pro MMA guy. And a pro Kickboxer all there.

The bad: My cardiovascular fitness

The ugly: My face after class.

The details:

After some boxing drills to loosen up, we got right to business. I watched for the first round, and then got called in for a round with a guy about 6'2" and maybe 180#. He din't appear to have a lot of ring time. His reach was real good, but it was pretty obvious his boxing was not that strong. I ate some punches when I closed the distance but I drilled his body 3 times with hooks and then went over the top with a right hook. He went down and stayed there for a little while.

So they immediately threw a guy named "Leo' in there with me. 6' maybe 190#, this guy is a pro kickboxer (3-0 I think). Well, I decided to employ my boxing skills against his kicks. I could score upstairs, but the punishment to the ribs and legs was just too much for me, so I shoot for a surprisngly easy high single leg. I got the slam, too! I have got to learn to defend kicks.

He tries to pull guard and narrowly escaped my kimura attempt (damn boxing gloves!) I mounted him immediately and rained down punches as fast and hard as I could until they called the round.

He didn't get up real fast, either. No second round for him.

I feel that I am doing very well for my first night, my boxing and judo skills are serving me well, if not for some glaring deficiencies involving kicks. So after a brief rest, I go three rounds with the instructor, a guy named Schneider. I threw everything at him including the kitchen sink. He was the first guy all night to land a clean punch to the head on me. And the second. And the third. I feel we were pretty evenly matched standing up (although I must concede he was almost certainly taking it easy), and I was even able to score takedowns on him. His sub game, and ground game overall were just unstoppable. At one point I thought I had a Kimura (good 'ol kimura!), but he reversed it and had me scrambling out of a triangle pretty fast. I made the mistake of giving him my back. I was very proud of my ability to defend the chokes and arm bars he attempted, but then he gave up on those and just started punching the **** out of my face. I tried to "intelligently defend myself" but what the **** do you do with a monkey on your back pummeling your face? A strong, wiry, tenciously aggressive monkey. A very, bad, monkey! I made a few week peterson roll attempts, which he did me the favor of stuffing without audibly laughing at me (I appreciated that). I hung on until saved by the bell. Later on, I was in his guard and dropped two or three nasty punches to his face. This didn't really bother him as much as I hoped it would have, but I definately had his undivided attention at that point.

I managed to survive 2 out of 3 rounds with him but tapped to a heel hook at one point. Did I neglect to mention he was like, 15 lbs lighter than me?

This is how martial artist should train. 90 minutes of straight-up fighting. No complaints: this place is top-notch.

Good for the soul!

Things to work on:
    wind
    Kick defense
    wind
    finishing a sub (not just starting one)
    wind
    Guard pass
    wind

What a night! Too bad Phrost wasn't there.

Kickboxing on Saturday...Yay!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:14pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you should work on your cardio?

Kekekekekekekeke

what the **** do you do with a monkey on your back pummeling your face? A strong, wiry, tenciously aggressive monkey. A very, bad, monkey!
    That line is GOLD!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    Maybe you should work on your cardio?

Kekekekekekekeke
    *slaps forehed*
    Egads, Man!

That's brilliant!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:21pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in about three years i'll be relocating my practice to kansas city and i am looking forward to training there. i've been trying to talk one of my friends that still lives in KC to train there, but he is broke right now. but it sounds like it rocks.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:31pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, but what is a Peterson Roll? I bet I know the move, just under a different name. Is that where the guy is on your back and you try to sneak out the back, and then tuck into a forward roll halfway through to shuck him off your back? I didn't know it had a name.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you've got it.

East coast Wresting slang.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:59pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was my daughter's birthday today and I usually don't go at night anyway.

Haha, you rolled with Caveman. Did he throw any backfists at you? He loves those damn things more than Genki Sudo. He just came off a MMA decision loss to a BTT black belt and is one of Crawford's first students... a real beast for his weight.

Glad you liked it. Whenever you want to have a MMA fight, just let Steve know.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 9:31am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah...he threw a backfist.

I may be a noob to MMA but NO ONE will get me with a backfist. It's too embarassing for a boxer!

(having said that I will proceed to eat them all through my next class)

It was great. I've never been anywhere where the format was: "uhh...yeah...um....let's fight! THe whole class! Just fighting! RAAAWWWR!"

It was awesome. My head is ringing this morning!

You going Saturday @ 2? I'll be there.
    Last edited by Scrapper; 4/15/2005 10:59am at .

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 10:04am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't again, daughter's birthday party. I'm going to be dealing with 10-15 snotty little brats from 1:30 to 3:00.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 4:52pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crawford had several fighters representing at the Beaumont Club EFC at the end of march.
    They train hard.
    I grew up in KC, but moved to Southern Mo about 5 years ago..I have to train in Fayetteville to find anything decent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast