Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Near Death Expecience

I'm ok now, but I think this is worth sharing. I had one of the shittiest experiences in bjj last night. For the past week and a half, I've been sick with the mother of all flues. Yesterday was the first day that I felt good enough to go train. I go to our dedicated chokes class, learn a reallly nice guilliotine- no-gi variation of eziekel - triangle combination, drill. Then we have open matt for an hour, and one of our more experienced guys asks me to roll. I always enjoy rollign with him quite a bit - he's much older than me, probably in his 60s or late 50s, strong and technical as hell, and I learn a lot from him every time - his age forces him to be really concervative and efficient on the way he spends his energy so his movements are always precise and thought out. In any case, I roll with him for a half an hour or so, get tapped three of four times, and decide that I'm feeling a bit tired and should sit out for a few minutes.

This is when the fun starts.

First I realize that if I don't sit down NOW, I will fall down. Then it feels like I'm about to puke. I call my gf to come pick me up (we're sharing a car) since originally I was going to stay for another class and more mat time. I sit down, prop my had up with my hands, and pass out. I come to a few minutes later - nobody noticed that I was out, and call my gf again - she's almost there. Here I realize that I should probably just have someone call 911, but that would be kinda like giving in, and I couldn't do that. So I get up and stumble to the door to get some fresh air. I have trouble keeping my balance, and my vision blacks out every once in a while. I get outside and sit down on the pavement. It's pretty warm out, but if feels like it's freezing. I start shaking uncontrollably, the kind of shake they show in movies for people going through heroin withdrawal. I'm still nauseous as hell. After a 10 minute drive we're home, and as I walk from the car to my house, I start shaking again. I have a fever. My girlfriend wants to call the ambulance but I tell her not to. I crawl in bed, she covers me with 3 different comforters, and I go out again. An hour or so later I woke up and, while I still felt like ****, I was better. This morning I'm ok.

I think I'll give it a couple more day before I go back to training.

What I'm curious about is what the hell actually happened. I wasn't dehydrated and I didn't have ion deficiency. My blood pressure was fine, and so was my pulse. Anyone have something like that happen to them?
    You say what about my rice?

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He hit you with the Dim Mak.

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:38pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spirit of Frank Gotch was trying to possess you since he's tried of ghost of Farmer Burns getting all the fame with Matt Furey.

But seriously, don't screw around with this type of thing. I have no idea what happened to you medically, and neither do you, so just play it safe.

Marasmos

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I should have just taken an extra couple of days to rest up, or at least, not rolled hard for a long time. I'll probably skip tonight and go back to training on Saturday.

Boneheaded Optimist

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. Flu can be nasty, and they can all be different. I had one that took a week to get over the major symptoms, but I made the mistake of running a bunch of stairs a couple of days after recovery.

I was fine for about a half hour, then I noticed my vision getting blurry, etc. My heart rate went stupid for about ten minutes, and I thought I might have a heart attack. Fortunately, I didn't drive, so my buddy dropped me at home. I was in bed for the next two days.

My doc told me later that it can take you up to three weeks for your body to totally recover after the flu, since it takes a heavy toll on you to fight it. It also burns a lot of calories, so if you don't have a massive fat reserve, you probably were burning up stuff you couldn't really afford to lose.

Hope you feel better soon, but I wouldn't push it.

Office Drone

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So know one noticed this the whole time?

Sorry to hear that man.

Working my way back to health

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Injury magnet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you passed out twice, try going back Monday.
    Rest the weekend at least.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:57pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    What I'm curious about is what the hell actually happened. I wasn't dehydrated and I didn't have ion deficiency. My blood pressure was fine, and so was my pulse. Anyone have something like that happen to them?
    This could have well been a mild stroke. I'd go see a doc.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Marasmos

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    So know one noticed this the whole time?

Sorry to hear that man.
    I specifically made sure noone notices - if they did, it would be their duty to call the ambulance (hell, I would if I noticed someone else act like that).

Marasmos

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 1:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    This could have well been a mild stroke. I'd go see a doc.

Tomas
    I think I might do that. I feel completely fine right now, but the entire thing scared me.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast