Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9 Chambers- Of course we know that you can strike well if you have the guard. We are talking about striking someone while being mounted.

A.K.A MEAT

Edited by - Mr. Donkeypenis on August 09 2002 16:29:06

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9Chambers doesnt know what he's talking about. Strikes can be used when your mounted 'very effectively'? You've never been mounted then. Id beat you bloody. You cant even REACH the top persons head from the bottom. Thats the MAIN ADVANTAGE of the mounted position: You can strike your opponent, but distance and gravity prevents him from doing the same. Next hes going to say that you can grab the top guys nuts or poke his eyes to get him off......

"Migo is such a nerdy, panzy ass, ****** mutherfukker." -Every member of the ADCC Forum(at one time or another).
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2002 12:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxer Melton Bowen came the closest of anyone I've seen to doing real damage to his opponent from the mounted position...

That was a fight against Steve Jennum. Bowen actually looked like he was hurting Jennum from the bottom, and Jennum's girl punches didn't hurt him in the least... Jennum then finally got a clue and armbarred Bowen. You see, even if you're a powerful striker and can land good punches while mounted, that basically invites an armbar.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/10/2002 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peedee,

The mount would consist of:

(The process of mounting, being in the mount and maintaining the mount. I think that is obvious.)

You could get a guy in a naked choke from behind and ask, what would you do if this happened. The guy might not have an answer. But try getting him in that choke and you might never be able to apply it on him. The whole process is what counts.

-

While you are mounting someone, even while you are in the mount, they can grab your sleeve, pull you down and hit you. A fell on me and had me mounted in a street fight - I grabbed his shirt, pulled him down and got him in a headlock.

I guess that's why shirts aren't worn as much anymore on the UFC. In the beggining there was a lot of shirt pulling going on. Of course, wearing no shirts hurts jujutsu guys more than strikers. A lot of jujutsu tech is for grabbing the lapel.

-

There are a few variations of the mount.

You can be laying on top of someone - chest to chest. You see the Gracie's using this a lot.
    The guy could pull your hair and chop at your spine but that isn't legal.

Lets say you are too far up for them to hit you because you are upright and they are on their back. This is harder to maintain when your opponant is bucking wildly instead of waiting for a chance to grab your arm and pull you into a choke like in your Jujutsu school. Your position can be manipulated. Besides, staying up there gets you nowhere. Why NOT wait until you try to do something and then hit you.

I know you can't reach their head. That is why you grab the arms. You didn't actually read my post, did you? .. Admit it.

If the guy on top can reach you - then you can reach him, that is just common sense. I think you just are not really educated about striking. You don't throw jabs from your biceps. You force it out from your shoulder and lat, half your torso will twist up, the ground can be used for leverage.

You make it sound like the guard is useless. Way to be anti-BJJ.

You'd bloody me, hu? Maybe my you'd bloody knuckles. :)

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!
  5. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/10/2002 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in a hurry to go eat earlier .. so I rushed through that last post. Here is what I meant to say.

You bloody me, hu? Maybe you'd bloody my knuckles with your ignorant yapping mouth. :)

Reading just the first line of someone's post is kind of rude and a little air-headed. Go back and read that earlier post again and you will see that I mentioned pulling arms, grabbing, pulling, pushing and bucking for position is necessary to set up the strike fromt he guard.

Maybe you can't strike from the guard .. maybe its because you suck at grappling. I don't know. I can strike from the guard and I've done it in sparring quite frequently. Its easy.

Maybe its easy for me because I've been mixing the martial arts for 20 years. (I'm 31) I know my grappling and I know my strikes and kicks and I know how they fit together. I wrestled, I studied JJ, Hapkido, Judo, etc. The stuff I see in BJJ is stuff I was doing in the 80's. Its nothing new and exciting. MMA looks like what I was playing in grade school, practicing in Jr. high and mastered before anyone in America ever heard of the Vale Tudo. I am not just some TKD camo belt kid saying you can punch from the guard.

Don't dissmiss something before you've tried it. Even worse - don't think that just because you suck too much to do something that nobody else can do it. lol

6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/10/2002 6:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ono, its a ..

FIGHT BETWEEN PEEDEE AND 9CHAMBERS
    -----------------------------------

"Lets get it on!"

Pee approaches in a crouched wrestling stance but he is bobbing up slightly now and then with his dukes up. Even though he knows Kung Fu he has been humping BJJ so he intends to grapple.

Chamber circles around to Pee's left because he believes Pee is right handed, and steps in towards the center of the ring. Chamber is in the right guard even though he is left-handed.

Pee is cocky so he makes a random grab at Chamber's arm - maybe its just a feign - either way he misses. Chamber slides in on Pee's retreat with his right arm up high as bait - and throws a left cross and then a right. The two lock up high. Nobody connects.

Pee starts swinging and grabbing at the arms. Chamber parrys and ducks a strike. He then keeps Pee from shooting in low by pushing at his head, chest and arms and sprawling his legs back. Pee grabs Chamber's left arm and thinks about going for an arm bar.

Then Pee's weight is fixed for a second. Chamber launches a low rear leg straight kick to Pee's hip/groin - he is about to be dissqualified! (It is between a side and front stamp - angled - and it whips out from the hip rather than a pivot. Its a modified Muay Thai kick) .. but Pee deflects the kick with a turn of his hip because he happened to glance down at that moment! It still catches him enough to stop him for a second. It lands on his thigh so Chamber isn't dissqualified after all. Lucky dog.

Chamber, landing in the left guard (arms still locked up) slides a right step forward and fakes a rear leg front snap to the groin. Pee sees that coming and twists his waist and prepares to block or grab it. Unfortunately he looks down for a split second and raises his center of gravity slightly.

Chamber lands in the left guard again, lowers his hips and slides the left leg back - and pulls his left arm free of the over-extended Peedee.

He pushes and pulls Pee's left arm across between them, throws a left cross while sliding in with his right foot - Pee ducks it. Then sliding on behind to Pee's left - chamber wraps the waist, turns and pushes his hips in - Pee's legs fly out from under him in a standard wrestling hip toss.

Pee falls to the ground on his shoulder. Ono! Chamber pushes Pee's left tricep down while mounting him from the side and throwing a left diving punch to the face. Pee guards with his right, raises his left arm to guard and starts to twist so Chamber mounts him!

He grabs Pee's arm for an arm bar - but wait! Pee grabs his own fist with his other hand. He flexes the grabbed arm in position and begins pounding on both of the hands and wrists that are pulling at his arm. Chamber's grip loosens and Pee pulls the arm free. As Chamber prepares to strike with his left, Pee guards with one arm and grabs Chamber's right arm and pulls it across to Chamber's left and down towards him.

Then Pee strikes! - Right! Left! Right! Ono! Then with his right he pushes fingers into Chamber's eyes and turns his head to the left. Whak! A chopping strike right to the neck on the famed triple-warmer under the jaw. Then he pulls him off balance using his shirt and bucking his hips up.

Pee takes advantage of the moment to plant a hand on the mat blocking Chamber's left knee and bucking, he flips him out of the mount! Then once behind Chamber, Pee grabs a leg - folds Chamber's leg over his own and then applies a simple leg lock.

He grabs Chamber's other leg as it kicks at him - and folds it over the first one and waits for the ref to see that Chamber can't move. Chamber's face is against the mat. He tries to power out but Pee applies more pressure. Chamber almost taps out to save his leg..

Then Knifer shows up out of nowhere and stabs Pee in the back repeatedly!!!

Chamber pays him $5. Then Chamber yells at Pee's dead body, see you can strike from the guard. You did it yourself you freak!

Then Chamber kicks him in the ribs and says, "That's whatcha get."

um, :)

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    8/10/2002 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasnt talking about the Guard dork-boy. You said the bottom man can strike the top man when you are MOUNTED. If your ever in NY and want to try you are welcome. You can let me mount you and I'll start punching you. I'll even wear my BJJ Gi. You can pull me, hit my spine try and grab my nuts...whatever gets you hard man. As long as im allowed to hit back. We can even videotape it and put a link for it here. Thats a serious invitation. I'll even wear my Vale Tudo gloves if you dont like getting hit bare knuckle.

"Migo is such a nerdy, panzy ass, ****** mutherfukker." -Every member of the ADCC Forum(at one time or another).

Edited by - PeedeeShaolin on August 10 2002 19:45:18
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!
  8. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/11/2002 2:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be cool to go to NY but I don't have that kind of cash. I am just finishing up some school. My last class is on the 18th. Hopefully I'll get a good job soon after. That can take a while though. I hate being a student again - but if all goes well I'll be making twice what I was a year ago so it will be worth it.

I am just kidding around. I think you know that. There is no rivalry or hate or anything - but yea, I like to spar too. I'd take you up on it if I could. It would be fun. I don't see a plane ticket popping into my hand anytime soon though. If one did, I'd sell it and buy some new clothes.

Okay, so by the MOUNT, what do you mean? Explain to me what does and doesn't constitute a mount in your opinion. What, being on top and totally wrapping a guy in your legs?

Describe the perfect mount and maybe I'll admit you were right - IF I can see the invulnerability of it. As of yet I have never seen a mount that was an impenatrable tower of strength. I admit its fighting uphill but if you've got the timing you can counter his stuff. You have to be fast though or you'll get caught. The same goes for him though.

9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/11/2002 5:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, this is how I understand the mount should be applied:

Mount A. - You have your thighs clenched around his rib cage and you rain down strikes.

Mount B. - You sit yourself on his stomach and you have your legs hooked around outside his legs just past the guard.

Mount C. - You are resting past the guard and laying close to his chest, ducking strikes or clinching while you work for technique.

Mount D. - You have his midsection wrapped in a scissors and you are pushing into his upper body and head.

Mount E. - The side mount.
    ---------------------------

Each of these is effective in its own right but no mount is impenatrable. Its not over just because someone gets you mounted. As for our specific conversation: I still believe strikes from the guard or even while fully mounted can be effective.

To explain the concept - I will tell you about a cowboy movie I once saw. The gunfighter said that it rattles people when they are shot at - they might be a great shot otherwise but if you shoot when they shoot then you can throw them off - they will miss. He said he isn't necessarily the fastest. He just has the nerve.

My point is that instead of sitting back and trying to guard and block their punches while mounted - take the fight to them. When he is getting shot at it will throw off his punches. If he grabs you then use that to pull him in instead of him pulling you. Then strike and strike and buck and pull.

Look at UFC XXI, Jackson and TK were both striking up at guys in the mount. They used this as a way to distract, push, set up and escape.

If the guy is up on your ribs you might be able to buck him up and slip out under his legs. If he is low then you can curl and twist and grab. If he is laying on you then you can hook his arms, maybe chop at the neck and wear him down.

Strikes can set all these maneuvers up. Just throwing one in here or there. Okay, maybe extremely effective isn't a good way to put it. Maybe I was wrong about that - as strikes go, the ones from the bottom of a mount aren't the very best ones - but they still are important in that situation. They still work. They can still be effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12