Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 4:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/featurecontent/view.asp?article=189

Okay, if the school profiled in this Black Belt article isn't a McDojo, I don't know what the hell is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 5:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is this a McDojo?

All he's saying is Shotokan can be effectively used to supplement Ground Skill.

Stop wasting your time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 7:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is this a McDojo?

All he's saying is Shotokan can be effectively used to supplement Ground Skill.

Stop wasting your time.

It is BOOOOOSHEEEEEEEET!!!! Thats why. That is bullshit. Deliver a hammer fist while someone is mounted on you?? RIIIGHTT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 8:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wheels,

OK. So how is it not possible to deliver a back fist when someone is mounted on you?

True being mounted means you are in trouble, but seriously, is it really impossible to deliver a back fist to a guy when he mounts you?

Wheels, you are very funny! Congratulations!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of cousre you can backfist someone when they mount you. It's just not going to work very well.

A.K.A MEAT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or you could stab or shoot him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 12:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG, now I have seen it ALL! Shotokan ground-fighting, HAH!

What a seriously flawed load of bullshite!

Seriously, those methods are poor and are based on defending against unrealistic attacks. I'd trust 1 MONTH in BJJ over 10 YEARS of Shotokan for ground-fighting!
  8. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 2:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strikes can be used on a mounted opponant very effectively. That is why guys in the mounted position are always grabbing for your arms, tucking their head or throwing punches of their own.

I see guys in mma competitions strike from the guard all the time. Guys in the mount strike back all the time. They use striking on the ground constantly. You must just not be paying attention to that, I guess.

You grab one arm, stike the elbows with your other hand, push his arm, shift your weight and maybe buck, punch away at his face and neck. You pull his arm across, jab at the eyes then get an arm bar. You could grab his hair and chop at his neck.

(Not all of that is legal in the UFC)

Once you land a strike or two - then buck him off of you, kick him in the nuts, grab his upper arm and pull him across and get a choke. Whatever. Mix it up.

Here is this quote again..

“To be a well-rounded fighter, you must possess the ability to srtike and grapple. Using punching to compliment your grappling and ground-fighting skills is very important.” - Rickson Gracie 1998

From Black Belt Magazine. November 1998.

.. Way to be 4 years behind everyone else guys.

But as for ground Shotokan, the tech shown on the page did look really hokey. Who is going to mount you by squatting over your chest like they are taking a dump? :P

my kung fu eeeeeees better than yours!

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 3:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks to me like an afterthought because of the popularity of grappling... and its not a complete repertoire of ground fighting at all.

Lemme see here... generic armbar, they claim its shotokan. yawn.
    Elbow to the groin... yawn
    Defeating a pin with a roundhouse (this is on the ground of course, click the pic for how it supposedly works)... yawn
    Stupidest mount I've ever seen, the attacker then twists so he can be hammerfisted, pushed off, and punched again... yawn

Not very impressive... its basically Bad Grappling and non-resisting opponents 101

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2002 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers wrote:
    *I see guys in mma competitions strike from the guard all the time. Guys in the mount strike back all the time.*
    There's a biiiig difference between being in the guard position and having someone mounting you. Just because you're on the bottom doesn't mean you're in the guard, and just because you're on top doesn't mean you're mounted. Sorry if you already knew this, but the above quote makes it unclear.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast