Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2005 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuan
    Wow. I am glad I took a look at this thread. I did a google for Enshin Karate and was able to find a school just around an hour away that has classes on Saturdays. So after the Dr. allows me to start doing anything physical again I am so there. :qgreenjum :5thanks:
    Lucky dog.

I really can't complain, for a small town there has been some good martial arts here (Kyokushin, Kosho Shorei Ryu, Kyushin Ryu...), but now there's no KK or anything like it...

Quote Originally Posted by BaguaMonk
    Interesting how these arts were influenced by Oyamas encounter with Taiji, I would be interested to see more of the applications etc.
    http://crane.50megs.com/index6j.htm and other sources indicate Oyama liked the cma techniques, though his encounter hasn't exactly been documented. There is more circular stuff in KK than Shotokan fer instance (I must be repeating myself).
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 5/13/2005 10:07pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:56am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait what is the difference between san-shou and knockdown karate?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. BadGuy might be the first person on my ignore in a long time...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:25pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2005 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I third that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2005 2:00am

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bad guys post was a bit on the biased side. But Taiji's techniques aren't necessarily always circular, but the whole structure is based on circiles. For maximum sturdiness and maximum flexibility at the same time. You are able to keep someone from pushing you over by maintaining circular structure and "yielding" but never yielding too much, or the structure is broken and a punch, throw, anything can slip through defenses.

Enshin sounds interesting, but I like learning, and sticking to the core foundations of all the modern arts, to figure things out for myself. I'll look into it sometime.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2008 9:49pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joko Ninomiya, founder of Enshin, did have a sandan in Judo, but his sensei (Ashihara) told him "choose," so he went on in karate. He was originally kyokushin, I read about him years ago, in the karate magazine, and he is also the third place in "fighting black kings" (oyama's open), many moons ago. He followed Ashihara's break from Kyokushin-kai, and then came to Denver, Colorado, and after years there, finally broke with Ashihara. My Sensei joined him when he was Ashihara, then also stayed with him during the break, but sadly, my Sensie left Enshin, which I consider the worst move he ever made. About a year later, I left, we stopped progressing/training/learning. I had to learn more, and did some TKD, shorinji-, aikido, KB, and also went back into judo, my first martial art as a very young man. If there was either an Ashihara or Enshin school here in Salt Lake City, Utah, I would love to train!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 8:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: several planned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enshin seems like a great way to transition into Judo/Bjj from stand up striking. I plan to take all of these one day and they seem to integrate well with one another. I could be mistaken, but I though the triangle choke was in Judo as well. I don't think Kancho Ninomiya would integrate a MA technique into his discipline that he has never used before.

I've read both books and they are excellent MA reading, highly recommended.

Sabaki Method seems more humane on oneself as opposed to the straight ahead knockdown style of other MA's like classic Kyokushin. I don't have a problem sweeping/throwing a guy after a few hits then pummeling him on the ground. Easier and safer on me I believe.

Ninomiya seems like a great guy and a great guy to have as Grandmaster of Enshin. It looks like a great system to immerse oneself in for life and a great family to be a part of.

I recommend boxing to fill in the gaps for the lack of head punching in karate kumite. I plan to take boxing after acheiving black belt in Enshin for complete standing/striking mastery. If you get in a real fight, the first thing the guy will probably do is throw a punch at your face and that is the very thing you don't practice in Enshin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 6:31pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

enshin bastard child?

East coast Oyama has always been "bad ass," so to speak. As for Enshin being a "bastard child of ashihara," well "ashihara could be called a bastard child of kyokushin-kai, for that matter, but Joko Ninomiya was Ashihara's star and cheif "Senpei" and would probably be the head of Ashihara now, if he hadn't left. He wanted to evolve it further, along his lines, and I am sure that his Sandan in Judo played a part in his beliefs of modifying the style.

Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Because I'm never content to suck at one thing, and strive to be horrible at as many things as possible, I decided to try an Enshin class. If you don't know, Enshin is the bastard mullado child of Ashihara Karate and Judo apparently. Ashihara being an offshoot of Kyokushin.

The sensei's name is Sensei Falcon. If that's not badass, I don't know what is. There's a brief bio on him on www.enshinnewyork.com. Yes the website sucks, I'd turn down the volume before you click on the link.

Now onto the class, for some reason it seems that people who teach Kyokushin offshoots don't like to teach basics. They start yelling in japanese and you do your best to copy what the teacher is doing. I say this because this also seemed to be the case when I tried a Seido class. I don't understand why they just can't slow down and break down the movements. The punches are completely different that what I do in my current karate class. They seem to drill punches how they'd be using them in a real life(competition). Which brings me to my next observation, they seem to do endless sparring drills, ie parries and various counters. Constantly adding on to the end or doing different variations. While in my current Karate class we spar often but do not do many sparring drills.

The round kick is very different from what I had learned previously (more like a TKD round) the sensei says the Enshin way is more powerfu, I personally don't like it because they have you drop you're hand when you kick which seems odd to me. Don't get me wrong I'm more than willing to learn the Enshin kicks and techniques.

The only other thing I can think of is that there might be a language barrier. He's Turkish and sometimes will stop and think about what he has to say, which makes me wonder if he understands everything I say, and makes me self conscious of whether or not I come off sounding like a prick.

I really suck at writing in general, so if you have any questions I'll try to answer them

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2008 6:00pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just passed my 5th Kyu test in Enshin. It was awesome and pretty hardcore.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast