Posted On:
    5/10/2005 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup.

I have seen both books.

BTW if you are into the history, I suggest trying to find a copy of the Ashihara books as well. I think they are out of print so it may be tough finding them.

The OTHER fun thing to see is Fighting Black Kings, or if you are lucky enough to score a copy of the Japan Open you can see Joko fighting in both. I personally like Fighting Black Kings because it does a background on several different teams. Some kung fu guys enter the competition that year. And it just so happens Joko fights one. The funniest thing ever is to see a very young Ninomiya use a short hook punch to this kung fu guys ribs and just watch him crumble. Ninomiya's face is awesome, he has this little grin going as the guy drops.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    5/10/2005 2:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Yup.

I have seen both books.

BTW if you are into the history, I suggest trying to find a copy of the Ashihara books as well. I think they are out of print so it may be tough finding them.

The OTHER fun thing to see is Fighting Black Kings, or if you are lucky enough to score a copy of the Japan Open you can see Joko fighting in both. I personally like Fighting Black Kings because it does a background on several different teams. Some kung fu guys enter the competition that year. And it just so happens Joko fights one. The funniest thing ever is to see a very young Ninomiya use a short hook punch to this kung fu guys ribs and just watch him crumble. Ninomiya's face is awesome, he has this little grin going as the guy drops.
    I have both Ashihara books, fighting karate 1 and 2 and the first fighting black kings, thanks to the almight one ( Asia), I am always on the look for them both on DVD on ebay, so far, no luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2005 2:14pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting Black King Rocks!! (BTW Let me know how to score a copy of the japan open, if possible).
    From the woefully under prepared Kung Fu team to the Guy that would not, no matter how many thigh kicks he absorbed, give up his low Horse Stance.
    A serious must for the video collection

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2005 3:29pm

Style: none at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some kung fu guys enter the competition that year. And it just so happens Joko fights one. The funniest thing ever is to see a very young Ninomiya use a short hook punch to this kung fu guys ribs and just watch him crumble. Ninomiya's face is awesome, he has this little grin going as the guy drops.
    That's the famous KK vs. Wing Chung clip, very funny, Ninomiya has to carry the guy out (you can also see Oyama laughing on the back too).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2005 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks...

Wow. I am glad I took a look at this thread. I did a google for Enshin Karate and was able to find a school just around an hour away that has classes on Saturdays. So after the Dr. allows me to start doing anything physical again I am so there. :qgreenjum :5thanks:

Posted On:
    5/11/2005 10:20pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    I have both Ashihara books, fighting karate 1 and 2 and the first fighting black kings, thanks to the almight one ( Asia), I am always on the look for them both on DVD on ebay, so far, no luck.
    More information about Hideyuki Ashihra can be found at:

http://users.iafrica.com/a/as/ashihara/webdoc15.htm

I also have the first fighting karate book, and I think it is the best book on karate I have ever seen because 1) of the quality of the illustrations 2) because Ashihara effectively explains the dynamics of how to put power into the blows, and 3) because his system is very flexable for karate, he has realistic hand positions, footwork, and stances and does not get locked into rigid linear positioning that slows much of karate down. But I think Ronin can explain it better then I can. Especially if he is able to scan some of the illustrations on pages 10, 11, 13, 16, 24, 27 onto here.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 6:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    More information about Hideyuki Ashihra can be found at:

http://users.iafrica.com/a/as/ashihara/webdoc15.htm

I also have the first fighting karate book, and I think it is the best book on karate I have ever seen because 1) of the quality of the illustrations 2) because Ashihara effectively explains the dynamics of how to put power into the blows, and 3) because his system is very flexable for karate, he has realistic hand positions, footwork, and stances and does not get locked into rigid linear positioning that slows much of karate down. But I think Ronin can explain it better then I can. Especially if he is able to scan some of the illustrations on pages 10, 11, 13, 16, 24, 27 onto here.

Hmm, can we do that??? copyright and all ??

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 7:19am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ronin
    Hmm, can we do that??? copyright and all ??
    if you reprint a couple of the best illustration as part of your "review" of this book, I think its permissable.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 7:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    if you reprint a couple of the best illustration as part of your "review" of this book, I think its permissable.

Damn sneeky bastard lawyers...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2005 6:44pm

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting how these arts were influenced by Oyamas encounter with Taiji, I would be interested to see more of the applications etc.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast