Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PizDoff, if you are going to put that much weight on the front leg in a side stance, at least make sure that your toes are pointed inwards and you are in a fairly low stance. This will help protect your knee, as well as making it harder to sweep you. It won't be as mobile though.

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 4:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "i find i can move faster myself with the forawrd facing stance 50/50,"

despite my spelling mistake, i though my intended meaning was clear......

my side stance is 30/70 or 0/100

--
    I attack flurriously!
    Let me introduce you to my friends: Hand, Elbow and Knee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 4:56pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    then again, stances are transitions in my opinion

--
    I attack flurriously!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 5:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's more like it!

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 5:46pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is it? i like a front forward stance, i don't like to kick THAT much.....

as for the 0/100% weight on the back leg, i think a person can reach on a sweep a leg still, it only takes a bit to unbalance someone standing on 1 leg as opposed to two

--
    I attack flurriously!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 6:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to think of the forward facing goat stance (50/50), feet even with the shoulders, as the most transitional of the WC stances. I think it represents a pause or a turn, rather than a base from which to fight. The side stance (30/70) has more practical application, allowing for forward movement, and in "my" WC, the 0/100 stance is only transition from the 30/70 (like the Karate Cat Stance), rather than a base. It's a weight shift to defend a kick, launch one, or move forward quickly, using the back leg to deliver power and speed (like the difference between a front wheel drive car and a rear wheel drive car.) But that is the traditional way I was taught, which I don't really advocate as a must. Use what suits you best.

There are easy ways to sweep or knock over someone w/ 100% on the rear leg, but they aren't used commonly, so the 0/100 is sort of a catch-all protection for basic fighting.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PizDoff, in a manner of thinking yes, but to do so would either mean 1 of two things

1) you managed to get past the guard, allowing you to take the balance of the oponent, but that's true with any stance

2) you're attacking from the side, now a WC student learns to keep his centerline on your coreline and always continue going forward, so to do so would mean you're coming around with a hook or roundhouse punch, which means you're coming off your center and the WC student will (or at least should) take full advantage of that because you're essentially opening up

3)if you're going to sweep the front leg and there's no weight on it, nothing is going to happen that will be in the sweepers favor. If you're going for the back leg for a sweep your have giving the openent your whole freaking body to stomp on with his front leg, or at least fall on top of.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Posted On:
    3/06/2003 7:21pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighty-Um, yes......i miss the point :)

Matzahbal-Er, yes. in case you didn't know.....i take Wing Chun......

gtg to class tonight later

--
    I attack flurriously!

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I know. That's why I imagine your posting to this thread ;)

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2003 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P-Doff, I guess my point is that the forward facing 50/50 stance is great for chi sao and for WC sparring WC, but for actual practical application of defensive and offensive technique against fighters from other styles or just regular old boxing based American streetfighters, the side stance is far more realistic. I'm saying the 50/50 fwd stance is transitory in regard to positioning. Of course, one should move in a natural way, using whatever movement or stance the moment dictates. If 50/50 fwd works best for you so far, I would suggest working that stance against other kinds of fighters, so that you can either adjust it or strengthen it. It's pretty easy to fall into the WC vs WC trap when building your skills.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast