Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 8:30pm

Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Full contact is one thing, but think about it this way. The Lasik means you can never afford to be in a car accident, get clocked in a bar fight, fall down the stairs and hit your head, etc.

Not true, my friend. I was in a hellacious auto accident about 2 years ago (lasik surgery about 6 years ago), and even though my head got rattled real good, I have not had any accident related problems with my eyes.

If I was more computer literate, I would post pictures, but GEHHHHHHHH.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Jeebus, dude, I'd never go with Lasik if I had bad eyesight and potentially needed it. (I am somewhat near sighted, but have never considered Lasik in the first place.)

Full contact is one thing, but think about it this way. The Lasik means you can never afford to be in a car accident, get clocked in a bar fight, fall down the stairs and hit your head, etc.
    Having Lasik doesn't gurantee bad things will happen, it only means the risk of something bad happening is greater.

Hopefully the things that you talked about wouldn't happen too often. Choosing an activity where you get punched and or some scrapes their forearm across your face on a regular basis is different. If you're a Hollywood stunt man and you job involves crashing cars, fighting in bars, or falling down stairs you're probably not a good candiate for Lasik either.
    Last edited by Punisher; 4/15/2005 9:16pm at .

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2005 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had Lasik last year.Best money I ever spent.I took a week off of grappling, two weeks off of boxing and had no problems upon coming back.
    I asked the doc before the surgery when I could box again, he got nervous, left the room, I overheard him calling some other guy.Came back muttered something vague.I saw enough to know that he had no idea.

Karate Instructor

Posted On:
    4/24/2005 9:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been considering LASIK myself. My own Sensei had the surgery as well as my training partner / co-instructor. Both say it was the best thing they had ever done.

I used to wear contacts but was notorious for not cleaning them properly, so I was always fucking up my eyes. Now I wear regular glasses and then have prescription sport goggles for when we kumite. Yes I look like a TOTAL dork.

I think I will look into these other surgeries too since doctors seem to be recommending them for martial artists. I think though the biggest factor is going to be the size of my checkbook vs. the cost of the surgery. Military insurance is crap ... but they DO do LASIK for free now, at least the Air Force does.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234