Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 7:45pm

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    I had Lasik, and have wrestled since with no problems. When I did my consult I told the guy I wrestled and boxed (even though I don't actually box *grin*) and that I was involved with Law Enforcement where I would, among other things, catch a faceful of pepper spray. His answer was that I could do any of those things after about 3 weeks.

I know that your website cite seems to be by a real LASIK surgeon and not just someone's opinion, but I'd have to say it's still wrong. There's a lot of myths about LASIK out there, and the no full contact thing is one of them. It's simply not true. The guy in your cite probably thinks boxing is unhealthy in general. Maybe he's got a thing against it? Who knows?

But don't listen to any of us. Go in and get your free consult.
    Odd. 99% of Lasik doctors reccomend you don't rub your eyes for 6 months, yet after
    3 weeks you can wrestle, box and get pepper sprayed?

Are you sure you didn't get PRK and not LASIK?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 11:02pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reikon
    Odd. 99% of Lasik doctors reccomend you don't rub your eyes for 6 months, yet after
    3 weeks you can wrestle, box and get pepper sprayed?

Are you sure you didn't get PRK and not LASIK?
    This site, this other site and even this little page all claim eye-rubbing is safe after one month. I don't know how many doctors you've talked to about this, but I'm pretty sure you've been misinformed (or else misunderstood).

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/11/2005 9:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should be noted that docters don't really recommend boxing, period.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/11/2005 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya'll are scaring the **** outta me. Thx....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2005 12:25pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    It should be noted that docters don't really recommend boxing, period.
    And rightly so. I think it's fairly obvious that boxing--and a myriad of other full contact activities--is quite dangerous. Full-time boxers, as I understand, are almost certain to suffer some degree of brain damage. However, it would appear that LASIK in no way increases these dangers, nor adds to them, provided that you allow 1-4 weeks healing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2005 12:57pm

Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had lasik done by Anthony Kameen, one of the top guys in Maryland, about 6 years ago. I do not remember him telling me not to do martial arts, but I also don't remember if I told him that I did.

The only thing I remember being told about healing was to be very careful for the first month after surgery. After that, I was told there should be no problems.

Anyway, I had it done. Great results, no problems. I have done full contact and groundfighting many times since then. I have noticed that my left eye hs weakened somewhat since the initial surgery, but I dont think that is related to martial arts practice.

I look at a computer all day under flourescent lights. That is probably as bad as getting hit there repeatedly over time.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    4/11/2005 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My own eye doctor specifically told me NOT to do the procedure if I was interested in hard contact martial arts. He said the eye got thinner after the surgery, and that increased the risks of damage if I got hit there. So I don´t think I´ll do it.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My girlfriend had a Lasik check up today and I sent her with a list of questions.

Her doctor said Lasik was not a good choice for people who wish to compete in combat sports, particularly MMA. He said the most danger doesn't come with punching, but from forceful rubbing and grinding, like someone is likely to do if you have them in the guard.

He also advocated PRK as viable option for fighters. The recovery time is longer and more painful, but apparently the eye isn't any more susceptible to damage than it was before.
    Last edited by Punisher; 4/15/2005 9:03pm at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 7:14pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by haughty
    And rightly so. I think it's fairly obvious that boxing--and a myriad of other full contact activities--is quite dangerous. Full-time boxers, as I understand, are almost certain to suffer some degree of brain damage. However, it would appear that LASIK in no way increases these dangers, nor adds to them, provided that you allow 1-4 weeks healing.

Life'll kill you someday, anyway, man.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/15/2005 7:56pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Based on some of the recent threads about glasses, contacts, lasik, and other forms of vision correction I did some research on the web and found something out that may not be common knowledge.

A lot of people on the boards are interested in lasik, including myself. I was trying to find some sort of sports goggles people could wear for wrestling or MMA (never found them btw) by putting things like "wrestling vision correction" in Google and numerous resources about sports after Lasik came up.

Almost all of them said you should not wrestle, box, or do full contact MA after having the procedure. Not just during the healing process, EVER.

The only exception was one doctor that told a prospective patient that he could resume wrestling 6 weeks after surgery, but he would have to give up boxing.

Does this knowledge change your view about having Lasik? It did mine. I don't go full contact on a regular basis, and don't plan to in the future, but NEVER? I don't like the sound of that.
    Jeebus, dude, I'd never go with Lasik if I had bad eyesight and potentially needed it. (I am somewhat near sighted, but have never considered Lasik in the first place.)

Full contact is one thing, but think about it this way. The Lasik means you can never afford to be in a car accident, get clocked in a bar fight, fall down the stairs and hit your head, etc.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast