Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:28pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punchingdummy
    They are getting hit hard enough in the head to get concussions, so the difference is not all that huge.
    Well i was thinking more along the lines of trauma to the eye.

Nobody wants to die in a plane crash either, but that doesn't stop most people from flying. There is risk in amost everything,
    Okay i will definitely give you that. But that doesn't mean to take unnecessary risks.

and I have yet to see a study which definitivelly quantifies the increased risk (from LASIK) to martial artists. On the other hand, I have yet to meet a martial artist who is blind and blames the condition on LASIK. So for the average guy (or gal) on this board, the risk may be acceptable.
    The question is i guess, to find out that risk. And this was mainly concerning full contact. I think the majority of people on this board don't do MA to compete full contact striking. I think anyways.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:39pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had my Lasik done at one of the top places in North America. I specifically asked, during the intial interview, if the fact that I did contact sports was an issue. I told them I was a martial artist and boxer, and I sparred on a regular basis.

I was told, and I trust the information I was given, that after the healing process was done, I was no more likely to be injured than before. I.E. If you get punched in the eye and you haven't had surgery, you're fucked anyway.

I then asked my optomitrist, who is responsible for acrediting the eye clinics in my whole city. He told me it was NOT an issue that I boxed and sparred.

Since this is the info I want to hear, it's what I'm going with.

:angel11:
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I just had my Lasik done at one of the top places in North America. I specifically asked, during the intial interview, if the fact that I did contact sports was an issue. I told them I was a martial artist and boxer, and I sparred on a regular basis.

I was told, and I trust the information I was given, that after the healing process was done, I was no more likely to be injured than before. I.E. If you get punched in the eye and you haven't had surgery, you're fucked anyway.

I then asked my optomitrist, who is responsible for acrediting the eye clinics in my whole city. He told me it was NOT an issue that I boxed and sparred.

Since this is the info I want to hear, it's what I'm going with.

:angel11:
    This was essentally the same counsel I received from my guy...who also had several different "best doctor" listings framed in his office.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the other eye correction procedure(s)?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When my girlfriend had the procedure she mentioned she did karate and asked if that would be a problem. The doctor asked if she fought full contact or got hit in the face a lot and she honestly answered "No". The doctor then told her it shouldn't be a problem.

I now wish I had taken the opportunity ask more questions. Like I said, I assumed he was just talking about the healing process.

Here's another question. Will state athletic boards allow you to fight (boxing or MMA) professionally in you have had Lasik? If the answer is "No", then there might be something there.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostol
    What about the other eye correction procedure(s)?
    From the following website:
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/vision...asksurgeon.htm

Q: Can I box after the LASIK procedure is done and healing is complete?

A: I would not recommend boxing, ever, after LASIK. If you want to box, you should have PRK or LASEK instead. Andrew Caster, MD, Caster Eye Center, Beverly Hills, Calif.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 12:26am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh.

I had to have it anyway. I'll take my chances.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 1:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good info, I would never have thought there woulda been a conflict.

I really don't want to be blind, but at the same time if the risks are minimal, I think that I might do it.

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 2:08am

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would call several Lasik doctors in your area and get collaborative opinions.

EDIT: Fixed error.
    Last edited by Reikon; 4/10/2005 2:11am at .

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had Lasik, and have wrestled since with no problems. When I did my consult I told the guy I wrestled and boxed (even though I don't actually box *grin*) and that I was involved with Law Enforcement where I would, among other things, catch a faceful of pepper spray. His answer was that I could do any of those things after about 3 weeks.

I know that your website cite seems to be by a real LASIK surgeon and not just someone's opinion, but I'd have to say it's still wrong. There's a lot of myths about LASIK out there, and the no full contact thing is one of them. It's simply not true. The guy in your cite probably thinks boxing is unhealthy in general. Maybe he's got a thing against it? Who knows?

But don't listen to any of us. Go in and get your free consult.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast