Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LASIK = NO FULL CONTACT, EVER?

Based on some of the recent threads about glasses, contacts, lasik, and other forms of vision correction I did some research on the web and found something out that may not be common knowledge.

A lot of people on the boards are interested in lasik, including myself. I was trying to find some sort of sports goggles people could wear for wrestling or MMA (never found them btw) by putting things like "wrestling vision correction" in Google and numerous resources about sports after Lasik came up.

Almost all of them said you should not wrestle, box, or do full contact MA after having the procedure. Not just during the healing process, EVER.

The only exception was one doctor that told a prospective patient that he could resume wrestling 6 weeks after surgery, but he would have to give up boxing.

Does this knowledge change your view about having Lasik? It did mine. I don't go full contact on a regular basis, and don't plan to in the future, but NEVER? I don't like the sound of that.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, that changes it a lot. I think I'll stick with contacts.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 10:53pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Based on some of the recent threads about glasses, contacts, lasik, and other forms of vision correction I did some research on the web and found something out that may not be common knowledge.

A lot of people on the boards are interested in lasik, including myself. I was trying to find some sort of sports goggles people could wear for wrestling or MMA (never found them btw) by putting things like "wrestling vision correction" in Google and numerous resources about sports after Lasik came up.

Almost all of them said you should not wrestle, box, or do full contact MA after having the procedure. Not just during the healing process, EVER.

The only exception was one doctor that told a prospective patient that he could resume wrestling 6 weeks after surgery, but he would have to give up boxing.

Does this knowledge change your view about having Lasik? It did mine. I don't go full contact on a regular basis, and don't plan to in the future, but NEVER? I don't like the sound of that.
    Rrrrrr..... that's interesting news. I will definitely have to research that since i have had Lasik. Well, so far since i've had Lasik in the last 4 years i've been punched in the eye multiple times sparring, poked in both eyes, and have been hit full force by a raquetball in my left eye and no complications yet... BUT that certainly warrants research. hmmm...

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 10:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had lasik and no regrets.

They guy who did my eyes has done several NFL players and, despite several concussions, do not appear to have any problems.

My unscientific, non-medical opinion is that the procedure probably increases risks somewhere down the line. But the size of that risk varies with the person, and the decision to proceed is a personal risk tolerance issue.
    Last edited by punchingdummy; 4/09/2005 11:10pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:00pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember also that doctors like to say things that won't get them sued.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punchingdummy
    They guy who did my eyes has done several NFL players and, despite several concussions, do not appears to have any problems.
    well, that's a little different. I think theres a huge difference playing football with a helmet and getting punched in the face constantly.

My unscientific, non-medical opinion is that the procedure probably increases risks somewhere down the line. But the size of that risk varies with the person, and the decision to proceed is a personal risk tolerance issue.
    True, but for most of us here i think, that risk just isn't worth it. Losing your sight is not something to take lightly.

I have had lasik and no regrets.
    Same here. I will never regret it. BUT i might have to dash my hopes of competing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    Remember also that doctors like to say things that won't get them sued.
    Also a good point. Guess i just need to get on my horse and get this researched.

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn
    well, that's a little different. I think theres a huge difference playing football with a helmet and getting punched in the face constantly.
    They are getting hit hard enough in the head to get concussions, so the difference is not all that huge.

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn
    True, but for most of us here i think, that risk just isn't worth it. Losing your sight is not something to take lightly.
    Nobody wants to die in a plane crash either, but that doesn't stop most people from flying. There is risk in amost everything, and I have yet to see a study which definitivelly quantifies the increased risk (from LASIK) to martial artists. On the other hand, I have yet to meet a martial artist who is blind and blames the condition on LASIK. So for the average guy (or gal) on this board, the risk may be acceptable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:19pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Girl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that the difference between getting hit in football and boxing as far as lasik is concerned is that there can be direct eye contact in boxing, which would probably make more of a difference than the actual force of impact.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast