Posted On:
    4/09/2005 11:23pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    S mount. They become helpless.
    I agree. Helps setup the triangle and armbar very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lemme explain the mechanics of 'MY' high mount.

First of all, as I said it is MY high mount. Everyone has favorite positions and variations. That being said, what is good for me might not be good for you. Being fast and flexible, a mobile position like the S mount has advantages.

Also, there is a time and place for several 'kinds' of mounts. For instance if you want to soften someone up, gravevines with short hooks to the head is great. If you want an armbar or need to make them move S mount might be better. If you want to beat the everyloving piss out of them, a high mount with knees under their armpits while dropping bombs might be in order.

Since I do mostly BJJ and subgrappling these days and I dont need to soften anyone up, nor drop bombs - as I said the S mount works pretty damn well. For me.

The S mount is the shape your legs make. Period.

Omega's picture shows one way to do this. I have taken the liberty of adding some of my leet MSPAINT ability to illustrate the picture better.

Okay. Now let's take a look at ANOTHER type of S mount. This one is slightly more dangerous, but gives you control over both arms, sacrificing a little bit of stability for an almost sure armlock.

I will describe how this position is achieved in a little more detail. First and foremost establish your position in mount. You do NOT do this **** after just wildly throwing your leg over from side control. You will get reversed. Okay? Just don't do it. So lets assume you have established a FIRM mount. This guy knows he is in trouble but is NOT going to panic. He KNOWS he shouldn't give up his back. Illustration #1, the bottom man has almost made that mistake. There are ways to MAKE him give up his back, like forcing his arm all the way across.

But for arguements sake, lets assume he is smart. He is not extending his arms. He is not bucking and going nuts. He is waiting. He is waiting for YOU to make a mistake by being overly aggressive, so he can roll you. Usually this type of person will defend his face/neck/ arms very well by staying very very tight. No americana armlocks here! Okay... no problem. While he is in that shell you scoot all the way up under his armpits with your knee. I mean UP UP UP UP under those arms.

Now as you went up, his arms got forced up towards his face, and away from his chest. In illustration #2 the top man has rotated his foot almost backwards so his leg is UNDER the bottom mans shoulder. The top mans OTHER foot/leg will curl the other direction on the side. This makes the S shape. It is difficult to fully appreciate until you are actually in this position. Your arms are above your shoulderline. This is important because the arms, when above the shoulders, are much weaker than when under. It's physics. Just the way the shoulder moves. So now you have his arms almost covering his face they begin to extend naturally and are much easier to take in the armbar.

I am NOT going to go into specific techniques for taking the armbar. This is about style and finesse. Suffice to say you can go for either arm by pivoting. Or triangles. Or whatever your devious little mind can think up.

Now I want to clarify a bit further, this works for me because I am fast and flexible. Fatass unflexible fucks should not try this as you wont get your leg under thier armpit and you will get rolled. You would be much better off forcing the arm across and taking Illustration#1.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 5:40am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    s-mount... I've that it stands foe "swedish mount" because a swedish MMA-fighter used it successfully in Pancrase. Can anyone confrim or deny?
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 11:30am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    *slaps polefighter...

Go sit down in the corner before somebody thinks your Canadian.
    When I move to Cali, I just might come by your gym and return the favor :new_2guns

But seriously, that's what my instructors refer to it as. It's supposed to be this guy: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterID=1047
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 1:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    s-mount... I've that it stands foe "swedish mount" because a swedish MMA-fighter used it successfully in Pancrase. Can anyone confrim or deny?
    A very very negative. But if you want, I'll call Myth Busters.

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 7:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen a Saulo Ribeiro DVD where he recommends that instead of a traditional "high mount," you only bring your knees up high, while the majority of your bodyweight remains over his hips. Having tried it a few times, I like it quite a bit; the knees have the same effect as the whole body, and with your bodyweight back over your ankles, you control your opponent's hips much more effectively. Not the greatest position for an armlock, but chokes work well, and it's a good way to force movement into another position.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 11:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude. Saulo sucks. Don't listen to him. All those BJJ guys don't know wtf they are talking about.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12