Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 9:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok people, this may be the trillionth time a thread of this nature has appeared, but then, there really isn't anything new under the sun,
    so here goes.
    I beleive that the concept of living in a peacefull world is good.
    but it's just that, a concept, there for we(martial artists) train for the inevitability of violence in this world.
    Now does this sound correct to any one else or am I just living in a padded room with rainbows and bunnies?
    Let's cut through the crap, ok?
    The simple fact is that our justice system is a farce, bullies get away with intimidation and murder, and the victim is a second-class citizen while juries like to blame the victim; all this is in addition to gun-laws rendering the average citizen so vulnerable that they trade YOUR liberty for the illusion of THEIR security in a culture that glorifies violence and favors the rich.

The notion of a "peaceful world" without liberty and justice is simply an insult to the intellgence of anyone who has even half a brain, or a wit of self-respect.

Likewise, don't look to MA to protect you against untold odds on teh street, but it might help to even them a little in asserting your rights against a bully or social aggressor. However, the sad problem is that the same Darwinian principles seem to apply in MA as in society, i.e. they favor the strong and fearless over the weaker and more timid, while even shaming the latter and perpetuating the cycle of blaming the victim.
    The point is that we can never truly be free amd at peace, until fundamental respect and dignity is observed for all persons and doesn't reward ruthless aggression and domination.

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 9:46pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    correct?
    Peace is a just a span of time between arugements.
    War comes before and after creation. Creation comes before and after war. Simple its just a process its been here since the stone age. Ugh clubbed Guh, now there is enough food for Ugh's little boy. Sadastic has it may sound its true, if we didn't have war we never make any techonolgy. Almost all techonolgy was invented to out smart out fight the other guys or for food.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The desire to achieve more than your fellow man will always be an innate aspect of the human psyche. Thus, humanity will always have conflict, and consequently, some will resort to violence.

Sad, but true, and all you can do is be stronger than anyone trying to attack you... be it physically, financially, or mentally.

That's harbaric, and complete anathema to American principles, which have become corrupted by ruthless aggressors who took advantage to make it a plutocracy; whatever happened to the notion that "all men are created equal, endowed by their creator with inalienable rights which governments are established to secure?"

The problem is, once again, that the victim is a second-class citizen while the perp gets a free ride AND a free lawyer; likewise the chance of justice is a crap-shoot (remember OJ?) Likewise we have a culture that thrives on violence and even takes pride in it-- and anyone who's tried dealing with the system as a victim of crime knows just how few rights you have.

If society TRULY upheld these principles, there would be zero-tolerance on crime, citizens would be free to arm themselves, and only a complete fool would resort to violence.

However the lower the average person's moral IQ, the worse things will be for all of us-- that's why it's every man for himself.

For example, if you were to walk the streets of a major city at night, would you pick the US, or Canada?

Murphy's Rules of Combat #1: You are not Superman.
    Murphy's Rules of Combat #2: If anyone can attack you, they will.

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 10:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    harbaric? Talk about typo and barbarian were cool. Give it up to the norseman and the celts!

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, the original idea I had when posting this was along the lines of this,
    Is having a mentality of peace while training for the possability of facing violence an exceptable mentality? How ever when I actually posted it it came out wrong. but thanks for the input.
    I think the trick is to focus on mastery of the skill, since violence is in the mind otherwise; however it's still Darwinistic since those who are the most vulnerable to violence will benefit the least from MA-- and this goes for those who are mentally infirm as well as physically, since persons who are anxious, depressed etc won't have the faculties necessary to train or compete, but they're the first to be denied other means to protect themselves.
    This is standard throughout history, i.e. governments would disarm the populace to keep them in line, resulting in persons studying hand-combat in order to defend themselves, often ruining their hands and feet etc. in the process since they weren't allowed any other weapons.
    History repeats itself when people don't learn it.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The simple fact is that our justice system is a farce, bullies get away with intimidation and murder, and the victim is a second-class citizen while juries like to blame the victim
    Totally!!! We should go get a REAL criminal justice system like the Congo or perhaps China! That would fucking rock.

all this is in addition to gun-laws rendering the average citizen so vulnerable that they trade YOUR liberty for the illusion of THEIR security in a culture that glorifies violence and favors the rich.
    I know I'm just opening the floodgates for a handgun debate, so let me just start by saying that I'm pretty much neutral on the idea of gun regulation. Now then. If you think a handgun is going to offer you genuine protection, explain how. Give me an example. Are you walking down the street when suddenly a guy pulls a gun on you and demands your lunch money when SUDDENLY you pull out your gun and blow him away Matrix-style? Or are you suffering from one of those pesky, ubiquitous home invasions that every sitcom inevitably deals with? If so, uhh, he's probably armed too buddy. Remember that gun ownership goes two ways. If it's during the night, your best bet would be to pretend to be asleep. If it's during the day, in which case holy ****, by the time you run upstairs and grab your gun he's already capped yo ass.

Guns have their place, but let's not let ourselves drift into Burt Reynolds fantasyland where the world is full of knife-wielding manaics who apparently never heard of firearms.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "whatever happened to the notion that "all men are created equal, endowed by their creator with inalienable rights which governments are established to secure?""

Great notion, put forward by wealthy slave-owning white men who restricted voting rights to people like them. Was America really that much more moral in the past?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry. Forgot about rap. I blame the loose pants, myself.

Working my way back to health

Posted On:
    3/04/2003 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Injury magnet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may not be an answer or what jing shen gou had in mind but...

My two cents from the Tao Te Ching.

9. WITHOUT EXTREMES

The cup is easier to hold
    when not filled to overflowing.

The blade is more effective
    if not tempered beyond its mettle.

Gold and jade are easier to protect
    if possessed in moderation.

He who seeks titles,
    invites his own downfall.

The sage works quietly,
    seeking neither praise nor fame;
    completing what he does with natural ease,
    and then retiring.
    This is the way and nature of Tao.

16. RETURNING TO THE ROOT

? cut ?

When society changes
    from its natural state of flux,
    to that which seems like chaos,
    the inner world of the superior man
    remains uncluttered and at peace.
    By remaining still, his self detatched,
    he aids society in its return
    to the way of nature and of peace.
    The value of his insight may be clearly seen
    when chaos ceases.

Being one with the Tao is to be at peace,
    and to be in conflict with it,
    leads to chaos and dysfunction.

? cut ?

19. RETURNING TO NATURALNESS

It is better merely to live one's life,
    realizing one's potential,
    rather than wishing
    for sanctification.

He who lives in filial piety and love
    has no need of ethical teaching.

When cunning and profit are renounced,
    stealing and fraud will disappear.
    But ethics and kindness, and even wisdom,
    are insufficient in themselves.

? cut ?

"I do not agree with what you have to say but, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    -Voltaire

Posted On:
    3/05/2003 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate these type of conversations makes me want to find a island some where and live there alone so no one can bother me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast