Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 2:34pm

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drummerboy had some good advice, although I disagree with him about the usefullness of WC forms, if taught well. I'd apply what he said about a grain of salt to WCL as well.

I personally love training ving tsun and think it's great, so I'm biased in the other direction.

Just more things to consider. This this might be more about your school than your style though.
    If I were you I'd figure out why you feel dissatisfied with your current program. If you're putting time and energy into training then you should be getting a lot out of it.

What exactly are you tring to achieve with doing martial arts? Health/fitness, fun, fighting ability, etc..? You can figure out for yourself if your school fulfills most of these. If you want to know how skilled you can get, look at the older students there.

If you think that the school might not be your bag, despite what your wife says, I'd agree that checking out other schools could be a good idea. You may find something that suits you much more. Or have a talk with your instructor and address your concerns. Or maybe just wait a few weeks and see if the situation improves. Either way, good luck!
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:02pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go into more detail later, grond, but I will say right away that I was hoping to get more of a "workout" in class. I occassionally break a sweat in class, but not enough to come away with a feeling that I really pushed myself (physically) at all. I'm a pretty energetic person and I like exercising, playing ball, and so on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:05pm

Style: brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you think that you aren't learning effective techniques, get a friend, ask him to put on gloves (even if he has never fought standing before) and just duke it out. If you have difficulty putting down even a novice with your months/years of experience, something is wrong. If you do well, try stepping it up and fighting a boxer/thai boxer with similar experience as you.

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by amichaell
    I'll go into more detail later, grond, but I will say right away that I was hoping to get more of a "workout" in class. I occassionally break a sweat in class, but not enough to come away with a feeling that I really pushed myself (physically) at all. I'm a pretty energetic person and I like exercising, playing ball, and so on.

Unfortunately, this has come up a lot when people complain about wing chun on this forum. I'll wait to hear what else you've got to say...
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:17pm

Style: brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I would never trust my life with a style that is debated as being ineffective so heavily all over many forums. Not to mention I've seen practioners of the style get destroyed by just simple brawling.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did some sparring against some wing chunners who think bil jees and chisao will save them. One of them I got pretty good clinch and knees and he didn't know what to do. Another one of them who was a little open minded that the rest of them about all ranges sparring - took him down 4 times in 2 different sparring matches: 2 triangles, RNC, and armbar.

They all coming tonite to bjj club.

I used to be WC, I stopped and started BJJ. For most people, WC doesn't work - either the principles just sound ridiculous to them or the training methods just suck. I personally think if you switched to BJJ you would be happier.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:54pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know these dudes then?
    http://www.templewingchun.com/new/twchome.html

Where do you train BJJ?

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Did some sparring against some wing chunners who think bil jees and chisao will save them. One of them I got pretty good clinch and knees and he didn't know what to do. Another one of them who was a little open minded that the rest of them about all ranges sparring - took him down 4 times in 2 different sparring matches: 2 triangles, RNC, and armbar.

They all coming tonite to bjj club.

I used to be WC, I stopped and started BJJ. For most people, WC doesn't work - either the principles just sound ridiculous to them or the training methods just suck. I personally think if you switched to BJJ you would be happier.

Good luck.
    Current stage of death: denial

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 10:33am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grond
    Unfortunately, this has come up a lot when people complain about wing chun on this forum. I'll wait to hear what else you've got to say...
    I guess my main complaints would be the levels of physical activity and realistic use. I'm more concerned with the latter than the former. I can deal with WC not being demanding physically if I feel that it will be useful in fighting. I get enough exercise outside of class to make this just a minor complaint really.

So I guess I'm really left with determing how useful the punches, blocks (or deflections), and foot movement is against someone throwing typical haymakers and the such. In another month or two I'll be joining the more advanced classes and so I'll get a better look at their sparring. However, that still leaves the question of practicing against something other than WC on a regular basis. For this I'll have to take advice offered earlier and simply ask the instructor or maybe test it out on a friend.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    You know these dudes then?
    http://www.templewingchun.com/new/twchome.html

Where do you train BJJ?

Tomas
    Yup. I used to train under Master John Clayton who is Sifu Shannon Moore's teacher. Met Shannon Moore at a tournament and then a couple seminars. Nice guy.

I started training BJJ 2 month ago at the Johns Hopkins BJJ Club (free classes yayayay - run by a friend of mine, hes a machado purp belt)

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 4:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by amichaell
    I guess my main complaints would be the levels of physical activity and realistic use. I'm more concerned with the latter than the former. I can deal with WC not being demanding physically if I feel that it will be useful in fighting. I get enough exercise outside of class to make this just a minor complaint really.

So I guess I'm really left with determing how useful the punches, blocks (or deflections), and foot movement is against someone throwing typical haymakers and the such. In another month or two I'll be joining the more advanced classes and so I'll get a better look at their sparring. However, that still leaves the question of practicing against something other than WC on a regular basis. For this I'll have to take advice offered earlier and simply ask the instructor or maybe test it out on a friend.

There is a ton of bad wing chun out there. But there is some good as well. If your instructor is good he should be able to address your concerns. Otherwise.....

IMO, a good answer to a wild haymaker is biu sao and a punch. Biu sao is the finger strike to the eyes in the second part of siu nim tao. Use it to intercept/jam up the incoming punch between the elbow and shoulder depending on the angle, and punch with your other hand.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast