Sponsored Links Spacer Image

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tragically, this thread has only had one bad "_ing __un" joke so far.

Government overthrows you!

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is t3h cheap in most places, and you get more fancy takedowns than BBJ < rofflz

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 8:37pm

Style: brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "wing chun is a disease that destroys all rational thought" =P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 9:00am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, some of you have managed to creep doubt in to my mind about wing chun training. I can say that I have no idea what to do at this point. Crap.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 9:07am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out other schools. It could be that WC is what you really want to do, and checking out other schools will just remove all doubt, or you can find something you like better. Don't get stuck to one style.

PL

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 9:46am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by amichaell
    Well, some of you have managed to creep doubt in to my mind about wing chun training. I can say that I have no idea what to do at this point. Crap.
    Does your school have a website?
    If yes, post it, we'll "evaluate" it.
    There's reasonable amount od _ing _un expertise among the members here.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 10:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Does your school have a website?
    If yes, post it, we'll "evaluate" it.
    There's reasonable amount od _ing _un expertise among the members here.

Tomas
    I did this a couple of weeks ago when evaluating my school. The site is www.centerlineacademy.com.

Here's the deal, I think. My wife and I are the newest people in the class. Everyone else has at least two months on us. And I guess two months might not be that much in the long run, but when you are starting out it really does seem like quite a bit.

The problem is that for the first 1.5 months or so I really felt like I was learning and progressing. I learned sui nim tao, various punches, defenses, and movement. This last month has just seemed really haphazard. We've had a lot of new stuff thrown at us, stuff that I wasn't really expecting until a couple of months down the line. We've started learning the dummy forms, for example. Maybe this is a good thing, though. I guess you don't want the students getting too complacent or falling in to a comfort zone with their skill level.

And a growing concern I have is if this stuff will actually work. I can see the benefit of using a tan sau against someone who is throwing a wing chun punch at you, but what about the haymaker that is more likely to be thrown at you? Maybe that comes later when I start sparring. I'm just concerned that I'll be doing nothing but sparring against wing chun punches.

Maybe it is natural to feel completely lost and disheartened at various stages of training. Maybe in two months time I'll feel good again only to have the cycle start all over again. I'd like to talk to my teacher about this, but I'm not sure how to approach the subject. Hell, I can barely formulate my thoughts into words, much less carry on a conversation about it.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, a couple of things.

I went to that website and was actually very impressed with the layout of the site, and it's design. NO outrageous claims, etc.

Then I found a page that has JESUS on the site. This is a bad thing.

Having said that, before everyone else starts jumping on WC as a style, I wanted to let you know that it takes a while to see everything a style has to offer. Two months is not enough.

To train a blocking drill against centerline punches and wonder how it would do against a haymaker is not productive. If you want to know how to defend against a haymaker, then ask your sifu. Evaluate the answer for yourself. If it sounds silly, then you'll know that it isn't a place you want to continue at.

If it does make sense, then keep asking questions. I used to bug my sensei with questions all the time. His answers were always simple, straightforward, and made sense. Three years later, I'm still happy I'm there.

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 11:09am

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It definately looks like a mcdojo. Traditional ving tsun doesn't have sashes or rankings like that, just younger brother, older brother and sifu.

The presence of jesus on the site is like Feryk said a bit weird.

I'm also worried by their claim to turn out skilled practioners in 5-7 years. 2-3 is a much more reasonable range for good wing chun.

There aren't any videos, so I can't really comment on what the kungfu looks like.

I'd ask your instructor what defenses they teach against different types of punches. Ask to drill them and see if they work. If the answer doesn't satisfy you, then I'd start questioning some other things.

Which dummy techniques did you get shown?
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Okay, a couple of things.

I went to that website and was actually very impressed with the layout of the site, and it's design. NO outrageous claims, etc.

Then I found a page that has JESUS on the site. This is a bad thing.

Having said that, before everyone else starts jumping on WC as a style, I wanted to let you know that it takes a while to see everything a style has to offer. Two months is not enough.

To train a blocking drill against centerline punches and wonder how it would do against a haymaker is not productive. If you want to know how to defend against a haymaker, then ask your sifu. Evaluate the answer for yourself. If it sounds silly, then you'll know that it isn't a place you want to continue at.

If it does make sense, then keep asking questions. I used to bug my sensei with questions all the time. His answers were always simple, straightforward, and made sense. Three years later, I'm still happy I'm there.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do this tomorrow.

The Jesus thing doesn't really bother me. He is a very religious man. I'm not in the least. I just don't pay it any attention. He doesn't push it in his class, so I'm not bothered by it.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast