Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is no such thing as competition silat/kuntao. - Indochinese

really? I know there isn't for kuntao, but silat?
    explain this then
    http://www.silat.com/

or these pictures:
    http://www.geocities.com/gayongpasak...files/man7.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/gayongpasak...files/man3.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/gayongpasak...files/man9.jpg

They are competition silat. Since you call yourself indochinese, I take it you must have originated from Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore, or at least have been there to know that sports silat is practise almost everywhere. Its been going on for more than 2 decades.

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 12:01am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Organsied schools of Silat do compete through I.P.S.I. and what not. However, Silat the more traditional teachers (Village) don't have competition so your both right in an odd sort of way.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 12:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    So baically it's JJJ all over again?
    Kinda yes, kinda no. Both can claim to be battle field derived. But the circumstances and tactics are pretty far apart. Unlike JJJ where the core is predicated off empty hand defense against swords, Silat tends to be a bit more offensive and a bit more holistic.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 3:00am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant the throws which are too deadly to spar with, the "maiming" tactics, the positionless groundfighting and the smug, **** eating attitude of everyone on the internet who practices it.

****, I didn't set out to flame Silat, but the more I talk to Silatists the more I hate it.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 10:53am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant the throws which are too deadly to spar with, the "maiming" tactics, the positionless groundfighting and the smug, **** eating attitude of everyone on the internet who practices it.

****, I didn't set out to flame Silat, but the more I talk to Silatists the more I hate it.
    Heh heh!!

Let me make a point that good ole Jiggy kind of made in like 1884: deadly techniques that can not be practiced full speed on a resisting opponent will by definition be difficult/impossible to master.

On one end I hear good things about silat, on the other end I see a lot of costume-party-I'm-so-deadly silat schools. I'd like to see good silat, I'd really like to. I like the treachery part. But I don't think you need to wear a bandanna and an indocesian skirt to be effective.

http://www.kuntaosilat.net/photos.htm

Now I'm NOT saying there's no good silat:

http://www.skfc.org/silat_05.jpg
    http://www.skfc.org/immagini/silat_06.jpg

:))

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 11:10am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silat can be sparred hard combat if you wish too. Like other maritail arts it is good to find real teachers or frauds. Also what is difficult in that efffect is that they are ususally loosely organised, and private so you really have to go and see if the instructor is good and its what your looking for so DK you might wanna go elswhere if you fon't like what you see.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2005 12:42pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

who me?

Hello everyone, my name is Ray(mond G.) I don't know much about anything, especially modern breeds of the silat. The only style I have been exposed to was in the navy and I was told I couldn't pronounce the names of all the things anyway so I only got to learn a few "things" (to do) :lookround

Anyone familiar with the book by Steve T. "Karambits"? That's kinda the same thing but then so is tantojutsu...??? I'm still trying to figure out what it is I was taught. Judo with a knife? Not very sporting or safe for randori, eh?

It's too bad that public interest in the art has made it such a distasteful thing...

I'll just keep my ignorant no name generic crap to myself, it's nothing to brag about even if I was some red sash grandmaster...LOL

PS. Donn Dreager wrote a book about the SE asian fighting arts too. Kinda dry but interesting reading...
    Last edited by Tant01; 4/13/2005 2:50pm at . Reason: D'oh

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 12:50pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'They are competition silat. Since you call yourself indochinese, I take it you must have originated from Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore, or at least have been there to know that sports silat is practise almost everywhere. Its been going on for more than 2 decades.'

nope, i is a cracker from amerlica.

and what you are talking about is not Silat. not in my opinion.

it is the modernized version.

and that is not the same.

the techniques of kuntao/silat that i have been taught are not suited for competition.

when i spar or play, i am constantly having to start and stop...i.e. i cant finish and have to bail out or pull my opponent up to prevent serious injury......the best that can be managed, without injury, is a strenous simulation.

sport silat is to silat as judo is to jujutusu.

a watered down, modern version of a more complete art.

many cultures have had cultural revolutions in which the focus and goal of the fighting arts have changed to a more social convention.

all this that i am saying is common knowledge.

the advent of firearms had a profound and permanent effect on the arts.

this Silat that is done competitively...is it with blades, or sticks?

or barehanded?

Peace.

KTK

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 1:00pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'So baically it's JJJ all over again?'

hedge,

ya know, that is probably one of the closest comparisons that can be made.

It is both like and unlike jujutsu.

but the emphasis on causing serious damage to joints is shared by both.

there are only so many ways to torque the human body detrimentally, and so in arts that do this you will find many similarities.

however, in my experience, jujustu leverage is more refined in certain aspects, while silat has better positioning skills (footwork).

the whole thing about the throwing method can be a little misleading...

far as i am concerned, any good judo/jujustu/aikido practitioner can do the same thing with the throwing methods that they use by adjusting their leverage vectors and adding a pull or a twist here and there. they just dont because they would like the guy to get up so they can keep training...that the prob with trad silat.

Peace.

KTK

Posted On:
    4/14/2005 1:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndoChinese

however, in my experience, jujustu leverage is more refined in certain aspects, while silat has better positioning skills (footwork).

Peace.

KTK
    Since we are touching about the topic of joint locks.

What are people's experinces in the differences between the various joint locking "systems" (lack of a better word) like jujitsu, silat, chin na etc.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast