Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 10:05pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silat?

Hi folks, I'm new. Just a quick question. I did a forum search but didn't find a thread that addressed my exact concerns.

Does anyone know anything about silat? The MMA training center I train at offers it, and it certainly looks interesting, but it's held at the same time as another class that's part of my usual schedude. I'm planning on trying it out next week to see how I like it.

My concern is that, from what I've seen, the training methods looked way too cooperative for my tastes. One partner throws a half-assed punch or whatever other attack with very little intention, and then barely resists as the other partner applies whatever technique is being taught. I spent the first two years of my martial arts career in aikido-fluffy-bunny-let's-all-be-happy-and-get-along-and-not-resist-land. One of the reasons I made the switch to MMA was to get away from that.

Just curious. Aikido's training methods were what drove me away, not the technique. I generally found the technique pretty slick (if somewhat limited). So as effective as silat's technique looks (and it certainly does look effective), it's not likely to hold my interest if the training methods are as similar to aikido as they look.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DinosaurKnight; 4/07/2005 11:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2005 3:07am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there and welcome,

Well, let's start with: which school and where is this? Maybe someone on this board knows your school and can tell you how they train their silat.

The other obvious suggestion is trying a class but you're already doing that.
    Finally: if this is at the same training center where you practice MMA, there'll likely be a large overlap between students and thus roughly the same level of resistance.

I must say that my only Silat experience is the occasional "and this is how they do it in Silat" mention during our Kali classes, though.

Posted On:
    4/08/2005 4:09am

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you talk to the teacher about it? Ask if they train with full resistance. We do some Silat kicks and throws in my Kali class...I don't use it during sparring because no one else in my class wears a mouthgaurd (or eye protection), and we don't train on a mat. So I'm afraid if I sweep them or something they'll hit the carpeted concrete...a little too hard for my guilt of making them, and I don't want them out of practice or injured.

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    4/08/2005 5:28pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silat is great. Deceptive,fast and rutheless.....but, and it´s a big but, most people whom I know train it in a totally coperative way, which destroys its efficiency.
    If you can find a Silat teacher who rutinely spars, and it looks like silat instead of MMA/kickboxing (and belive me, nothing looks like real silat sparring...it´s like a rabid monkey on a head full of acid), attend classes by all means. Then, you´ll be able to do a MA which has crazy attack patterns. If the teacher doesn´t allow sparring full contact, but still want to learn, then your best option is to find a group of friends who can sparr with you. But my advice is that if you want to fight, avoid non-sparring Silat classes. Since most Silat attacks are very commited, and requiere full contact to really appreciate them, if you try to fight in a Silat style without having sparred a lot, not only you won´t do any damange to your opponent, but you can bust your knees pretty quickly.
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2005 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just a thought, but you mighta just saw some beginners throwing punches. In our class, you will get BITCHED OUT THOROUGHLY for throwing a lame ass punches. Instructor don't give a **** if your shins are on fire from being swept like 50 times.

You have ma experience, so if it doesn't look like what you are looking for, don't go, trust your judgement, but go to class first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of silat schools in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia here do full contact sparring, but mainly on the sports level, or more commonly known now as sports silat or wiralaga. Kick and punches are only allowed to the body and nowhere else, but sweeps and throws are permitted and are usually the highlight of the fight.

The one big thing I totally disagree these days about silat is the mandatory djuru (pronounced as juru), which is the trademark deception move of silat. Competitors have to perform the djuru in sparring after every 4 strikes, but they are entitled to use the djuru as a evasive and counter move, which is main objective of the djuru. Sounds like fair game, but more often than not, it looks bad. The guys hit out at each other, jump back, perform djuru and they are back at each other.

I am not a big fan of silat, but I can tell you ironically many schools that do sports silat are pretty good. There are few schools and I do mean few, that do MMA style fighting, but they have less techniques than those used in MMA, but still effective and full contact. There are also those who are more traditonal and combine the djuru with strikes, locks and throws, that is the more authentic version, but I have also heard that there are alot of scams and fakes marketing this version.

Best you can get a school that does both traditional application and sports silat, that would be your safe bet. As for the MMA version of silat, you might want to be a bit better of in your silat, before trying them out. They can be rough, since silat is more on bone breaking than submission.

Genius

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a tough call. Many people in the USA don't train Silat hard, because it has throws and sweeps that are extremely hard to breakfall on. It is more of a maiming art, when taught traditionally, thus making it hard to spar while keeping it looking lke Silat. For this reason, I wouldn't recommend training silat exclusively. However, if you train in good MMA environment while training Silat, you'll benefit because you'll have your "the deadly" arsenal of attacks that may or may not work, because you can't really spar hard with it, and your tried and tested MMA methods.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 9:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go with Thaiboxerken on this. Silat has some deadly moves, but no, it is not another 'too deadly for the street' BS again. Some of these moves are just really obvious they are dangerous. E.G:
    1. Grab hand and straighten the arm
    2. kick back one leg, so opponent drop to one knee
    3. Stamp on the elbow of the extended arm
    4. Snap.

As I said, very obvious techniques. I have seen this happen in a silat sparring during their grading, not a nice picture. As Thaiboxerken said, go with MMA as a main and silat as a side dish.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 3:25pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'cause it has throws and sweeps that are extremely hard to breakfall on. It is more of a maiming art, when taught traditionally, thus making it hard to spar while keeping it looking lke Silat.'

fuckin a.

silat definition of 'breakfall':

1) you break, then you fall.

OR

2) you fall, breaking as you hit the ground.

primarily this is due to the tendancy to twist someone up, and then 'corner' them into the ground. a preferred method is to drive a major joint in to the ground. this is the antithesis of many modern systems, like judo or aikido.

there is no such thing as competition silat/kuntao.

Peace.

KTK

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So baically it's JJJ all over again?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast