Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    OT: I don't see a lot of sense in starting from your knees anyway. It's an artificial position that should't be spent too much time on. I think people should be starting either standing, or from guard/pin.
    Ask Nate Quarry about the advisability of starting standing on a crowded mat.

There are great pedagogical reasons for starting on the knees. You focus on the ground part of it all.

UFC Fighter

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 11:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA, No-Gi Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by En
    The only thing that doesn't usually happen is when both people stand, but that's really more of a logistics issue (mat space can't support 6-8 pairs of people standing) than anything else.
    We have a pretty good sized mat. We have plenty of room to start standing even when we have 20 or so people. We stand all the time, its part of the game. There is no rule against standing up to pass or to just escape back to your feet.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 1:18pm

Style: Aikido/MACP/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am much more comfortable standing than being on the ground. Asia and I were going at it for submission for about 15 min this morning, we went from various positions several times from guard, mount etc to standing.

One thing I have found I have to watch for with him is when I go to pass his guard he actually LETS me stand up holding onto one foot. He then will take me down into a ankle lock or a heel hook. I have had to learn that I cannot just stand up whenever I want. There is a time and place.

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 1:59pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    Ask Nate Quarry about the advisability of starting standing on a crowded mat.

There are great pedagogical reasons for starting on the knees. You focus on the ground part of it all.
    I did not say anything about crowded mat. I'm just arguing that starting from the guard or pin is better, unless you are specifically interested in wrestling from your knees.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 3:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our mat is pretty crowded, most of the time we can't even have everyone roll at once, so standing really isn't an option.
    Plus, I think working starting from the knees reduces the chance of injury too, but I definatly feel a lack in my takedowns compared to Judoka or even wrestlers.

Speaking of handstands, we learned a cool handstand to pass open guard two weeks ago. There should totally be more flashy moves like that in BJJ.

If I could learn XMABJJ, I would.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 3:32pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To echo what J-Lau and others have said: at where I train, it ends up that we may stand up to stack someone while in their guard, or as part of a pass or escape. However, we always start off on our knees after bowing, shaking hands, and touching fists.

However, I think that in the Intermediate/Advanced BJJ classes, they work on takedowns for when they do actual MMA sparring.

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 5:21pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by En
    Our mat is pretty crowded, most of the time we can't even have everyone roll at once, so standing really isn't an option.
    Plus, I think working starting from the knees reduces the chance of injury too, but I definatly feel a lack in my takedowns compared to Judoka or even wrestlers.

"even"?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 8:28pm

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Locu5, do you mean Bull Shaw? If so, tell him that Derrick really is trying to come to class but has so much !(*&^ keeping him busy that it is not currently possible. Please don't make him do suicides when he first shows up.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For safety sake a lot of people start on their knees, especially beginners. The reason? BECAUSE OF THE LIKELYHOOD OF INJURIES.

Guys falling on other guys, especially another pair of guys who are just innocent bystandards already on the ground has produced a lot of injuries. I see it in BJJ, I saw it in Judo. People's hands get stepped on, faces, etc. What you DON'T want to happen is someone get thrown full force on top of some other group. And if your mat is full, you ...

PUT SAFETY FIRST. ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT YOU THINK IS PRACTICAL.

Thats it. Nobody is saying start from the knees all the time. Nobody is saying you should always start standing. What people are saying is given the logistical considerations of space and numbers you minimize the chance of injury by starting on the knees.

What I was saying is that there are guys who immediately jump to their feet even when this rule is in place. I like to throw those guys on their head to make sure they stop doing it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 8:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression that it was primarily for safety, as stated by Yrkoon and a few others. Occasionally things will get messy and, in response to a upper body grab or something I've grabbed the other guy under the knee and we both start going up with a fall of some kind imminent. At that point, we stop, let go and restart.

Lots of guys have real jobs and lives (not me, unfortunately) and can't afford any serious injury as a result of overzealous rolling. Makes sense to me. A few times, rolling with friends (who have been more than zealous, to the point of stupidity) at the campus mat I've been on the receiving end of a few nasty falls onto my toe, hand, etc. and have really regretted them.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast