Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind doing something like that before the real thing

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/07/2005 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Orion are there any competitions in the NY area?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2005 3:47am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    When I hear "sport jiujitsu", I think of gi-grappling with no strikes. The rules you posted seem much more liberal. I guess it's a euro-thing.
    I guess it's a Japanese Jiujitsu thing, not BJJ. Though still thinking "Japan" instead of "Brazil" when Juijitsu is mentioned might be a euro-thing.

One of my highschool buddies used to compete in JJJ and he seemed a fairly well-rounded fighter because of it.
    It's MMA Lite, yes, but the comps are usually run in such a fashion that you'll get several fights over the course of one day.

Amateur Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 6:52pm

Style: Judo/BehriBJJ/Muay/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we had the National Championships in Buffalo 2 years ago but I think that was the last one. As far as any comming up I dont know of any. this years National's are going to be in OHIO I think.

As far as getting multiple comps in a day, I have had up to 11 matches in a single day... so 2-2minute rds X 11 becomes a very long day, much longer than any 2 6 minute round fight. much easier though.....

Check the USJJF.org website for any information on competitions..

and please if you run into a bulshido school that is affiliated with the org dont get too disapointed... try the comps anyway, its the only way we are going to get better compettitors, and trust me you will run into them for sure...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2005 11:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The action is continial, no stops except to end a stint on the ground that has pasted the time without a sub or pin, and the ends of the rounds. I competed in two in 95/96 in Kentucky and they were fun. Like Asia and others have said, sort of a MMA light. I think if you looking for a way to see how your transitioning works in competition without a lot of risk of injury, it's a good place. Or if you want to do a more MMA type event to compete and your not able, or don't really want, to train for full contact, it's worth the time. Had a little trouble with a ref calling my grappling match because he 'knew I was going to tap' to an armbar a guy couldn't sink, but it happens. Got a guy with a standing collar choke the next year, watched my little bro put a good RNC on a guy in his first fight. Good stuff, but the fees got fairly steep for what little we could compete in. Tourny fee pluss USJJA membership dues at your first bout is stiff for a single day of compitition.

So it's sort of good family fun with weigh ins and throws.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    4/11/2005 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've competed in Sport Jiu Jitsi waaa back when it first started. A guy I knew won the world championship(John Delvecchio) and obviously became world champion. I fought in the worlds and the "Hillbilly Open".

To tell you the truth I hated it. The only cool part was meeting Wally Jay and Ernie Boggs because the rule meeting was held at Bogg's school and Wally Jay was his instructor so it was cool to get a pic with him and to ask him about training with Bruce Lee.

The first time I fought I was disqualified for leg kicking and you could only hit your oponent ONE TIME after you clinched so I was taking a walk in that tournament, and the second time I just fought like crap because the rules are so damn restrictive you can't do anything. All the little clickers drove me crazy on top of it.

Too much like a blending of sport TKD and MMA. I always thought TSK's tournament was way tougher and allowed you alot more freedom to hit full contact and utilize more technique.

We convinced my brother-in-law to fight in the same tourmanent after not training for 12 YEARS and we got him to fight in the BLACK BELT DIVISON HAHAHA!!

His only training was to roll with us 2X a month and he stopped smoking weed for 3 days.

Even with no training and no conditioning he managed to enter the black belt heavyweight division and shoot, take the giuy down immediately, take his back and was sinking the choke when the weirdo refs said he couldn't lift the guys head to finish.

Exhuastion and hilarity followed next as my brother-in-law managed to stand in there and just get banged around for the remainder of that round and all of the next.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    4/12/2005 1:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Begin Rant: "Sport" Jiu Jitsu, of the highbrid grappling/point sparring variety always seemed pretty lame to me. I guess it's ok for people who are not into the whole actually fighting people thing; it seems like a way for point sparring people to learn one or two grappling throws and maybe a few subs then go out and have a circle jerk they refer to as a "Sport Jiu Jitsu Tournament" in order to convice themselves that they can fight; IMHO. -End Rant
    Last edited by stoogejitsu; 4/12/2005 1:16am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12