221941 Bullies, 4181 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :XXbazooka :qleft2: :qleft7: :car20:

Ask him if he has any good books that have trees in them plz.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He'll tell me to buy one of the WTSDA books, which cost approx. $40 something. :5arg:
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 7:43pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Tang Soo Do is not related to the tang dynasty?

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only in name. Like most other Korean MAs, it's less than 100 years old. Most start out right after the Japanese occupation. Check out the other TSD historical thread for more details.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Tang" is a reference to China in this context.

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tang Soo Do
    and
    Kara Te Do

are the same characters in chinese:
    Tang Shou Dao
    The Way of the Tang (Dynasty) Fist

Later, to make it more national, the Okinawans
    changed the Kara into the word that means empty.

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    4/01/2005 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the change in kanji occured around the time Funakoshi introduced karate to mainland Japan?

I was always under the impression that the Okinawans were happy to call it "China Hand" but from a PR point of view that wouldn't have gone down too well with the more nationalistic Japanese.

I could be wrong of course.
    Failing to become awesome since 1976

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 9:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your speaking of the YMCA in Salinas, that instructor was Jerry Hyde. He taught there in the late 70's before moving on to opening a school out in Bolsa Knowles. Several of his students went on to open their own. Im his son.

Posted On:
    7/11/2009 9:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael View Post
    Actually, there's something that this drudges up from my memories, now that you mention Shotokan.

When I was younger, say about 10 or 11, the YMCA which I live next to started teaching martial arts, namely, Shotokan. I decided to start taking classes. I can't remember all that much of what I was taught. I can remember the teacher's face vaguely, and I remember practicing. I also remember testing for my yellow belt and failing first. I got it on my second try. Eventually, something ended up happening where the teacher was no longer able to teach at the YMCA. My training ended in less than a year. (This is why I don't list my style as Shotokan).

However, not too long after, another teacher started at the YMCA; this time, Tang Soo Do. My teacher's last name was Hyde, and his son learned with us. I remember that our grandmaster wasn't Jae Chul Shin, it was C.S. Kim. I remember distinctly that I didn't have to modify my style at all when transitioning between Shotokan and Tang Soo Do. Even the forms were similar. We also wrestled, along with sparring. We didn't learn any formal lessons on grappling, we were just left to do on our own. I did pretty well with grappling.

From what I understand, there was some sort of politics and CS Kim separated from WTDSA and formed the Tang Soo Do Federation.

So, take it for what little anecdotal evidence it is, but from my short-lived experience, they were VERY similar, if not the same.
    If your speaking of the YMCA in Salinas, that instructor was my father, Jerry Hyde. He taught there in the late 70's.

Posted On:
    7/28/2011 1:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This gels with what I remember from my days in TSD. I honestly don't recall all the details, but the handbook we were given said that while martial arts as a whole dates back thousands of years, TSD started in 1945. My school was a bit of an odd duck, in that our instructor would not allow anyone to test for black belt until they were sixteen.

Also, we did a lot of stuff outside of tradition including inviting instructors from other styles to teach us TSD's weak points; grapples, throws, and ground fighting, and a focus on practical defensive techniques up to and including running for your life when necessary. While the school was closer to a mcdojo than I might want to admit, I really did learn some good practical things about fighting that helped immensely when I began working as a bouncer.

It goes to show that your choice of an individual school is as important as your choice of style.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123