223824 Bullies, 4247 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/30/2005 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zid
    I've lurking for a pretty long time and these 2 TSD threads have fueled my need to post.

I've been practicing Tang Soo Do for years already and while I somehow suspected the art had a few hints of bullshido, I decided to not care so much about it since I really like the place. The owner's pretty nice, He gives good intense training(although the asst. instructor is more hardcore almost marines style) and the dojang is well equipped with sandbags,makiwaras and even big boxing ring and it not in closed office but in big ranch(my instructor's a farmer BTW). And the best part is the price: No monthly plans, no specials just $45 for membership and monthly payment of $25.

It does have it's cons though like too much focus on katas and step-by-step techniques, and a lot of littles kids there too even in the adult class.And while we do spar and grapple sometimes most of the sparring is tournament style 'point'
    sparring.

But haven't been going lately because of my uni studies and ever since I found this site I'm now considering to switch to another style probably muay thai or bjj but I can't find a nearby school that's within a 30 min. drive.

So my questions are:

1.Is my school a mcdojo?

2.Should I switch schools or should I stay?

3.What new style should I take?(Whether replacement or "extra" style)

BTW, My school is run under the WTSDA (J.C. Shin)
    1.) IMO, not mcdojo. $25 bux a month, no contracts, even tho they have a nice open facility... but could be bullshido not really sure

2.) if u cant find anything within a 30 min drive id say just stay there for time being.

3.) depends on what you want to do. if u wanna fight go bjj/MT/otherstuff that you can read about using the search engine.

remember skewl is most important.

rawr

Posted On:
    3/30/2005 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm lucky. My PTSD school doesn't buy into any of that fake lineage crap, we don't pretend we're an ancient style of traditional korean fighting or anything like that. We totally acknowledge that the karate in our style comes from japan, and really don't care about a grandmaster or organization. Katas are only really concentrated on in the kids class, the emphasis in the adult class is on practical technique first... and the 'progressive' part means that we've incorporated boxing/kickboxing, more kung fu/wing chun, and BJJ, so much so that most of the karate has been pushed out in favor of real world friendly stuff.

Posted On:
    3/30/2005 11:56pm

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it your tsd school that also has joint mobility programs going on Maestro?
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

rawr

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah they have a few different classes offered. some if it is because they rent the space from a health club and by offering stuff like that, they get primo mat space for a really good rent...

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please stick to the historical aspect of TSD. If you want to find out if your school is Bullshido, then please start another thread in the General Forum area. Thanks.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 12:35pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, Thanks everyone!

I was a victim of bullshido myself(hey I'm 22! I'm still young but I'm learning) but ever since I found this website, I'm grown more wary about the useless MA practices out there. I've found this website to be pretty useful for me in my quest for bullshido-free training.

As for my school, I'll hang on to it for now till I move out since I made a lot of progress there. I live in Puerto Rico BTW, I get plenty of crappy TKD, Karate and Judo schools with the occasional wushu mcdojos. The closest MMA school teaches BJJ, Muay Thai and Fillipino arts which is cool but it's about an hour or 2 long drive from my town.

Plus I'm poor college boy and with a busy schedule so I can't fancy for much. And while the school has plenty of mcdojo stuff it does occasionally do grappling and hard-sparring and tried to make the most of my training by hitting sandbags and pumping iron(which is all I do now for this semester in my home). I haven't gone there in months but I'll get back there as soon as class is over.

Oh, and I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. I was going to start a new one but I thought since TSD was discussed here I thought, why not? Typical noob behavior, I guess. :5paperbag

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 2:48pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it all depends on if you have fun with what you are doing. Even tho my school says its TSD we also do Muay Thai Kickboxing and other things based on who is instructing the class.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone actually know the correct lineage of TSD?

Okay, so we have Hwang Kee...

And somewhere down the line, you get JC Shin, and CS Kim pops out of somewhere.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 2:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kang Uk Lee published a book titled "Tang Soo Do" (original huh). But in it he has a Moo Duk Kwan family tree (not too extensive, but it has the big names on there and all the pioneers of TSD) which I thought was pretty good. Other than that I don't know of any other lineage sources save for each organization's book of Dan numbers.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    3/31/2005 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'm going to have to ask my master about all of this.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast