Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 3:10am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's with all the SAMBO guys starting trouble this time of season?
    At least I had nothing to do with this one :XXbirdman

Seriously though, not having seen the school or know the school personally, I would have just thought it was a commercial website...whatever. We who make a living at this have to actually pay the bills.

Simplicity,

Your posts don't reflect your screen-name. The run on sentences and stereotypical pseudo-philosophy don't do much or much in the way of keeping it simple or for your credibility (which I am not questioning based simply on your website). Maybe I am just a sambo guy who has been thrown on his head too many times, but please answer clearly for this battered grey matter. But, I understand your desire to come on and defend your club.

I hope you will answer the questions however:

1. In which martial arts do you claim rank, and who were your instructors or the governing bodies which approved those ranks?

2. Your website advertises a "Boxing/MMA" class. What qualifications do you have in these areas, and what does the curriculum cover?

3. Has your school produced any fighters on the Amateur or Professional MMA circuits? If so, how well have they performed?
    I will add one minor, somewhat humorous question: How could you claim this as your own words of wisdom in the Zen section of your website??

"We Are Our Own Worst Enemy"

by Sifu John McNabney
    Come on Sifu...you gotta get some better quotes of your own...LOL. As you said earlier, empty your cup :new_gmorn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 9:04am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will add one minor, somewhat humorous question: How could you claim this as your own words of wisdom in the Zen section of your website?

Sambosteve,

Thanks for the heads ups, looking for a proof reading job, LOL...... Seriously though

Quote:

by Sifu John McNabney

Actually, it was suppose to read like these with my name after the first one..... But thanks for the the typo error

"Walk On The Path, Not On Each Other"

by Sifu John McNabney

Unknown

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 9:53am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still nothing in regards to the questions I asked, though? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I know that some of the things said in this thread would have anyone on the defensive (so I can't blame you for being so), but it seems there are a lot of us who have re-posted the three questions I asked a few pages ago. At first, I thought you may have just not seen them-- even in the reposts-- due to other activity in the thread, but now you just replied to (and quoted) a post in which those questions were asked again.

The questions were listed in order of most to least important, in my eyes. Honestly, I'm much more curious about questions 1 and 2 than I am about 3-- not every school needs to have produced successful sport fighters for the school to be considered good. Especially if your MMA program is a somewhat recent addition to the curriculum. But the first two questions, I think, should be very important ones to anyone who would like to train with you.

Thanks again for your time!

--Joe

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simplicity, I echo KF Joes' post (again). Why not answer the questions? You are clearly avoiding them. For what reason?

Also, you may want to know the the actual quote is: "We have met the enemy and he is us" by Pogo.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 1/09/2008 11:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 11:49am

Style: Sambo, MT, BJJ, CH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a thread entirely supported by sambo guys, and i didn't notice? for shame on me!

additional questions:

1.why do you post with so many ...........................?

2.why do you ignore our questions?

3.why are so many sambo guys on this thread?

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 11:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Progressive Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingMob
    I walked in there back in July of 2006 and the only thing scary was the training equipment. Well, the Kiai's of the children's class that was in while I was there was pretty scary. Further research about the school pretty much made my decision for me about the viability of the school being able to teach anything useful to me.

As far as balls, lets see him act tough not in his own dojo full of his own supporters. If he's teaching MMA then he has to be teaching a grappling component. Me, I think the grappling he's teaching is straight up bunk and a waste of anyone's time when there are plenty of great grappling schools nearby.

How about it: Grappling match or an MMA match at a neutral venue. If Mr McNarby is teaching MMA, then having an MMA match or a grappling match against someone like me should be a breeze for him, his 'Way of the Samurai' techniques should completely overwhelm my for-sport skills in BJJ, Sambo, Judo and Wrestling. I mean, after all, so much was 'lefted' out of BJJ.

...Or how about an easier challenge for him: he answer those simple three questions that were posed on here multiple times and basically what I asked on my phone call to him. It's a pretty simple series of questions.
    Look you were there in 2006 (you say that but I'd guess he does not remember you, so you can not prove that you were actually there). JKD is an art you have to "feel" to know if it's real." Quit typing and go and talk to John. I guarantee you he's not going to risk his buisness with an assalut case on a keyboard warrior.

MMA is a new concoction and JKD was MMA 25-30 years before it. Why would one need to be certified by Japan or from other traditional sources when we all know the best fighters "walk their own path." Modern arts trump the old more times than not. The ones that don't are fake scam arts and that is not the case with Sifu John. I know many people who know him and I know I speak the truth but I can't vouch for anyone out there in cyber space.

I am a student of Ju Jitsu and I teach it. Although I don't advertise it as a single class, I still teach it and if I choose I will advertise it, if "I choose." Theres nothing wrong there. I know who my friend John is affilliated with in regards to Ju Jitsu and they are no joke. You are playing with fire. I do not see a single traditional martial art listed on Johns site and he is listed as founder.

So why the keyboard harassment. Get of your ass and go meet John at his school. Now that he knows who you are you can settle up. Judging by your post count., it seems that you probably spent your bullshido career on my friend. What a great start. Settle up.

If you came at me the way you came at him, I would come at you too. You can't blame him for calling you out.

He has more respect than you are giving him credit for. Go visit him, do a free JKD class and report back here. You are local, no excuses.
    Last edited by jkjeetkunedo; 1/09/2008 3:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 12:05pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkjeetkunedo
    Go visit him, do a free JKD class and report back here.
    While I don't agree with the level of vitriol with which KingMob has approached this, I think it is worth noting that he has never tried to cast doubt on Mr. McNabney's JKD instruction. He has concentrated on the grappling instruction from the onset.

The three questions that I posed to Mr. McNabney would do a great deal towards clarifying the issues at hand. Honestly, if his MMA course curriculum doesn't even cover submission grappling, then most of the issues that have been raised here (ie, in regards to his qualification to teach sub-grappling) will be made moot.

--Joe

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jkjeetkudedo,

Most folks here have not harrassed him. In fact, I think it is mainly KingMob who has been outspoken in this regard. Most here have given John, the benefit of the doubt it seems to me and are asking fairly simple questions. I have not seen any clear evidence to consider him BS at this point, but it is curious why he avoids the questions.

jkjeetkudedo posted:
    I know who my friend John is affilliated with in regards to Ju Jitsu and they are no joke.
    Can you enlighten us please since Sifu John will not?

jkjeetkudedo posted:
    JKD is an art you have to "feel" to know if it's real."...
    MMA is a new concoction and JKD was MMA 25-30 years before it.
    We have all heard this before. The " need for a feel" of a martial art can arguably be made for any art. There is an element of "feel" in all training. So, I don't really see your point.

Regarding JKD and MMA, and this is off the topic a bit (and I don't mean to derail here), your comment is debatable. True that BL was working on JKD a long time ago and had he been given the time, would surely have support MMA IMO...or even may have developed such a sport much earlier. However, JKD (and I am admittedly not an expert in JKD - other than having read BL's ToJKD) it seems to me never developed in that way due to Lee's untimely death. Furthermore, from this outsider's opinion, JKD has been bastardized, theorized, and propogandized by BL nuthuggers to such a degree that I generally look at JKD with skepticism when I see websites, ads, etc. This is unfortunate, but just the way I see it. This is not to say that there is not legit JKD teachers out there, but I suspect they very far and few between (I am not referring to Sifu John in any way specifically). I have been to a few JKD schools in my day to try classes, etc...and have trained with some JKD guys and the true integration just seems to be missing for many. I see more of a buffet style approach to training (a little muay thai, a little kali, a little JJ, etc) rather than the integrated approach I read about in Lee's writings. Ironically, this is what is happening in MMA now IMO...dojo hopping and buffet training with little real integration.

Furthermore, Lee's concepts of taking what is useful and getting rid of what is not, while may be revolutionary in the Chinese/US MA scene at the time, was certainly not as unique as legend likes to make it out to be...granted it was for his time and place. If one were to read any of Spiridonov's writings from the early days of sambo, one would think Lee was not all that original.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 3:20pm

Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkjeetkunedo
    Look you were there in 2006 (you say that but I'd guess he does not remember you, so you can not prove that you were actually there). JKD is an art you have to "feel" to know if it's real." Quit typing and go and talk to John. I guarantee you he's not going to risk his buisness with an assalut case on a keyboard warrior.
    Yep, I've heard those sort of claims before. This is not 1992, the dojo invasion days are ten years past now. You know why? Because people respond to an ambush like they should: violently.

As far as feeling it, go and take a free class in a curriculum that doesn't interest me by a instructor that I've angered by questioning (not in a polite manner, mind you) his move to start an MMA curriculum? I don't see the reason why.

If he wants to both shut my mouth and show what he has to offer in MMA, the offer was made and was ignored.

However, like another poster said after you, I have an issue with the submission grappling curriculum, both in ground work and clinch and I don't think that the JJJ training will give a student the skills they need. Now, there are a lot of more modern implimentations of JJJ, but generally when someone mentions the 'way of the samurai', it's not a modern version.

This is why I called and asked and then got the confusing answers.

MMA is a new concoction and JKD was MMA 25-30 years before it. Why would one need to be certified by Japan or from other traditional sources when we all know the best fighters "walk their own path." Modern arts trump the old more times than not. The ones that don't are fake scam arts and that is not the case with Sifu John. I know many people who know him and I know I speak the truth but I can't vouch for anyone out there in cyber space.
    So you know people who know about him, but not him personally?

I am a student of Ju Jitsu and I teach it. Although I don't advertise it as a single class, I still teach it and if I choose I will advertise it, if "I choose." Theres nothing wrong there. I know who my friend John is affilliated with in regards to Ju Jitsu and they are no joke. You are playing with fire. I do not see a single traditional martial art listed on Johns site and he is listed as founder.
    Then what style of Jujitsu is it? Who'd he learn it from? We've been asking these questions repeatedly and no answers at all.

As far as playing with fire, I've juggled this sort of flame before haven't been burned yet.

So why the keyboard harassment. Get of your ass and go meet John at his school. Now that he knows who you are you can settle up. Judging by your post count., it seems that you probably spent your bullshido career on my friend. What a great start. Settle up..
    I barely post on here, because I don't seek out bullshit artists generally, but when I see someone all of the sudden advertising 'Mix Martial Arts' when they were not, it makes me curious.

I checked it out, found it was not what I was looking for and of a nature that makes me question the viability for any student and posted in on here.

Settle up what? If he can answer the questions that have been posted at least 5 times now, that will settle some of the questions. The rest won't be solved by meeting him personally at his school.

Additionally if it's a matter of me not knowing what I'm talking about, I offered the grappling match or MMA match against him at a neutral location so he can get his revenge he wants so bad.

Personally, it doesn't matter either way. I'll encounter his students eventually and his training methods will either stand up to be measured, or never get on the mat to spar/compete in the first place.
    Last edited by KingMob; 1/09/2008 3:35pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2008 3:30pm

Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    Furthermore, from this outsider's opinion, JKD has been bastardized, theorized, and propogandized by BL nuthuggers to such a degree that I generally look at JKD with skepticism when I see websites, ads, etc. This is unfortunate, but just the way I see it. This is not to say that there is not legit JKD teachers out there, but I suspect they very far and few between (I am not referring to Sifu John in any way specifically). I have been to a few JKD schools in my day to try classes, etc...and have trained with some JKD guys and the true integration just seems to be missing for many. I see more of a buffet style approach to training (a little muay thai, a little kali, a little JJ, etc) rather than the integrated approach I read about in Lee's writings..
    Well said. It seems that many of the former JKD guys who are really amazing have moved away from the JKD name and concept: Matt Thornton and the SBG, The Singers, Erik Paulson and others.

As far as JKD, I have respect for those who are teaching the right things and the right way: Chris Malgeri for example has a fine team of fighters and teaches a great bunch of guys out in Clawson.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast