Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 11:37am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by access1denied
    This is iffy.

From the sound of this, there won't be much sparring.

Oh, hell no.

He is also, apparently, offering an RBSD system, which is a big turn off in my book.

Find somewhere else, a definate McDojo, I believe.

Dude, I'm so far away from being a McDojo studio, thats is laughable.......The closest I get to being that is my last name is McNabeny, lol.........We are a fighting school, we don't do point or MMA, but street-fighting.........I grew up in Detroit, Michigan and I know how to survive in the street.......even my kids class can open a can of whoop........I don't teach this RBSD system you speck of........Please with all respect to you........don't make accusation unless you know me or the facts....

Take It Easy,
    Sifu John McNabney

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, simplicity. Can you share a bit about yourself and previous MA experience? Got any vids? (We <3 vids)

What are your classes like on a typical day for beginners? For advanced students?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 12:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otacon_01
    Well, he replied. He didn't actually answer any of my questions, though...

Joseph,

Oh......I replied.......but you didn't repond......so if I was interested in a sale, I would have try to get you down to my school for you to give me some money, ya think?.......that must have meant I'm not a McDojo that you specks of, lol......Why do I want to teach you could have been my ?........just for the facts are know.......I don't need students.......I turn away more then I accept.......so theres your anwser........I've trained in both camps of JKD.......jkdc and ojkd......I teach Jeet Kune Do in this matter as Bruce Lee has said himself "Learn the principle...Abide by the Principles...Dissovle the Principle"........some might know what I'm talking about here and some may not......the one's that do.....doesn't mean their better then the one's that don't........because we are all different.......but at the same time one of the same.......if you like you can following the link on my site to my teachers, I'm one of his top student's........Good training to all......and keep your hands up......because it hurts when their down, lol.

Take It Easy,
    Sifu John McNabney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    I normally don't involve myself with converations like these but I have to step in and say WTF, without Inasanto no JKD, NOT, or is that just in Canada? So what you're telling me is Taki Kimura, Steve Golden, and others of the Original Nucleus don't count? There is always the the debate of JKD and JKD concepts, and I don't think anyone really knows the difference.

While Poteet did study with Bruce, one of Bruce's old students, Bob Bremer, told me he had the sign in sheets for those days, and Poteet is only on but a few of them.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clye

While Jerry Poteet is one of five poeple that has trained with Bruce Lee at his house.......this is a fact.....also he was one of BL senior students......just another fact.....When they were making "The Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" they had the first guy trying to teach Jason Scott Lee how to move like BL.......but couldn't get the job done.....Then Jason took a lesson from Jerry Poteet......he then said that he wanted Jerry to teach him and the rest is history.....Mrs. Linda Lee has said that he had give back to his teacher in this way.......also most wouldn't know that Jerry Poteet was one of Bruce Lee's senior students that helped out with all the notes of BL, to put together in The "Tao of Jeet Kune Do".........as BL has said "We must find the root to our own ignorance"........the info's out there, you must find that facts and research this on your own........as far as Dan Inosanto being the only guy out there.......I think not.......Mr. Lee touched many life's in his time.......and if I can learn as must as I have from his OBLS and from his writings.........I can't even phantom what I would have learned from him if I had trained with him.......just my opinion.

www.warriorsport.com/jkdr/celsolineage.htm

Take It Easy,
    John
    Last edited by Omega; 4/03/2005 1:55pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 1:16pm

Style: butt kickery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, you're telling me that you offer to teach "authentic Jeet Kun Do," and it's not a ploy to sucker people out of their money? Come on dude. The entire concept of teaching JKD in the first place is debatable. You're lineage could trace back to Jesus H. Christ, and I wouldn't care. I think you're running a McDojo and teaching bullshido.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    access1denied:

What specific business practices are you labelling McDojo?

What specific techniques or claims are you labelling as Bullshido?

Or, is your entire argument based on the semantics of "authentic JKD"? If so, while a valid point for debate, that is hardly qualification for either label; before making such broad statements, I would recommend doing some research first.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 1:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicity
    Joseph,

Oh......I replied.......but you didn't repond......so if I was interested in a sale, I would have try to get you down to my school for you to give me some money, ya think?.......that must have meant I'm not a McDojo that you specks of, lol......Why do I want to teach you could have been my ?........just for the facts are know.......I don't need students.......I turn away more then I accept.......so theres your anwser........I've trained in both camps of JKD.......jkdc and ojkd......I teach Jeet Kune Do in this matter as Bruce Lee has said himself "Learn the principle...Abide by the Principles...Dissovle the Principle"........some might know what I'm talking about here and some may not......the one's that do.....doesn't mean their better then the one's that don't........because we are all different.......but at the same time one of the same.......if you like you can following the link on my site to my teachers, I'm one of his top student's........Good training to all......and keep your hands up......because it hurts when their down, lol.

Take It Easy,
    Sifu John McNabney

Hey sifu (realize I'm using a sincere ton when I say this) I've always had a problem with people who say they "teach" JKD. Would you address this issue considering I've never had an "authentic" instructor address it. If you don't understand my meaning click on the link in my sig. No sarcasm seriously want your opinion if you have the time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 2:14pm

Style: butt kickery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    access1denied:
    Or, is your entire argument based on the semantics of "authentic JKD"? If so, while a valid point for debate, that is hardly qualification for either label; before making such broad statements, I would recommend doing some research first.
    Assuming that the instructor teaches what he claims on the site, I'd say the "authentic JKD" is a definiate bullshido label. The entire reasoning behind advertising "authentic JKD" makes it appear to be a scheme to make money, which isn't something "evil" per se, but it does label itself for McDojoism.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 2:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the board. A couple of tips to help you be more believable:

Dude, I'm so far away from being a McDojo studio, that is laughable.......The closest I get to being that is my last name is McNabeny, lol.........We are a fighting school, we don't do point or MMA, but street-fighting.........I grew up in Detroit, Michigan and I know how to survive in the street.......even my kids class can open a can of whoop........I don't teach this RBSD system you speck of........Please with all respect to you........don't make accusation unless you know me or the facts....

1) Mcdojo doesn't mean people can't learn how to fight. It means you are out for the money.

1) Don't answer or defend yourself with "the Street" read the last quote in my sig. That is why you might be labeled as a MCDojo by some.

2) Don't pump up your kids classes. You may teach them respect and all that. A 12 year old is not kicking any adults ass that doesn't have a physical/mental disability and that is a maybe.

3) RBSD=Reality Based Self Defense. Well on your website you have listed ISADO STREET-DEFENSE now, it is an assumption but, most times acronyms before "The street" usually means RBSD. Many here use it as a blanket term. In other words if you teach street ready stuff it is RBSD.

4) We train for the "street-fighting" is an RBSD type statement. With the point sparring and MMA comment you are walking a thin line between fighting school and MCDojo.

5) Oldest sales tactic in the world. Answer questions with questions. What is your background? what is your training? He responds back, answers your questions, and you tailor a program for him. Nothing wrong with that, I just get the teachers creds. first to see if it fits me.

6) Look at your website . You turn students away. You don't need students? Then why would you have a distance learning program. If you teach distance programs for people you never met, how can you try to say you turn people away that you see in person? Don't give me that phone interview email interview excuse. Companies that do this, at some point ,have a face to face sit down with you before your hired.

While Jerry Poteet is one of five poeple that has trained with Bruce Lee at his house.......this is a fact.....also he was one of BL senior students......just another fact.....When they were making "The Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" they had the first guy trying to teach Jason Scott Lee how to move like BL.......but couldn't get the job done.....Then Jason took a lesson from Jerry Poteet......he then said that he wanted Jerry to teach him and the rest is history.....Mrs. Linda Lee has said that he had give back to his teacher in this way.......also most wouldn't know that Jerry Poteet was one of Bruce Lee's senior students that helped out with all the notes of BL, to put together in The "Tao of Jeet Kune Do".........as BL has said "We must find the root to our own ignorance"........the info's out there, you must find that facts and research this on your own........as far as Dan Inosanto being the only guy out there.......I think not.......Mr. Lee touched many life's in his time.......and if I can learn as must as I have from his OBLS and from his writings.........I can't even phantom what I would have learned from him if I had trained with him.......just my opinion.
    7) Movie legends aren't the basis for fact. Just like people that say BL was the fastest they had ever seen in MA. Well I've seen interviews were the statement is qualified by pound for pound, or his weight class, even one of the fastest, not the fastest ever in the MA world. Plus, just because you have a problem learning from one person doesn't mean the next person is the end all be all of MA.

8) The multiple period thing is bad. It reminds me of the infamous "LOL" at the end of every sentence from Ashida Kim(Mr. Bullshido).

Again I'm glad you are defending your school.

Enjoy your time here. Personally I don't know if you are a MCDojo and don't care. The kid should of talked to you first before posting your link.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/03/2005 2:17pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2005 2:24pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *snif
    It is Fake? is all grown up *snif. I remember when he was just a snot nose newb now he's just a snot nose. bwhahaah.....sorry couldn't help myself.

Not to mention John I freely admit I run a Mcdojo (although people who've been to my studio say not). But I also have a MMA fight team, Kickboxing Fight team, and drag any bastard from the street talking **** to me into the studio and beat the crap out of them as an exampl if they cross the line. So don't be so offended dude.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast