Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2012 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
    After all these years... How many key-board-warriors in this thread ever came to my school to see what I offer?
    From http://www.martialartsites.com/pds/index.cfm?page=9

Purple Dragon Studio has many upcoming events for our students and school families. Refer to this page to find out about upcoming workshops, seminars, promotion testing, school functions and other school related information.
    We will also be posting News Bulletins or pertinent information regarding the school, it's students, it's instructors. The Calendar will also list these items as well. Make sure you print out the school calendar each month for easy reference.
    I'm curious since you advertise "old school karate do". Why are all of your classes only one hour? Given the time needed for warming up, this leaves relatively little time for actual training.

Also, what karate do do you teach or is this class taught by someone else?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 6:58pm

Style: Still deciding.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I visited this school many years ago. He seemed competent. I will try to answer some of the issues about him but understand it was a very long time ago.

I believe he said he learned Boxing in the military.

I did call Sifu/Guru Inosanto's school to ask them about him and they confirmed his lineage. And the person I talked to on the phone at the time did state that Jerry Poteet was a student of Bruce Lee and capable of teaching.

That said, he at least at the time stated that he did not teach ground fighting. I cannot tell you what year this was but I know it was close to double digits in years ago.

There is some controversy in the JKD community about lineage and more specifically what is being taught. Some people feel that things seem to of swerved a lot more towards the Filipino arts. And that a lot of Bruce's actual curriculum seems to be fading.

There is also the issue of the difference between students who come from the lineage of what Bruce was teaching in Seattle and those who come from the lineage of what Bruce was teaching in Oakland California. I have talked to and seen students from both lineages who I would say were highly competent.

"Wing Chun Do" for example developed out of Bruce Lee's curriculum in Seattle. There was a great school for it here in Michigan I visited and I was very impressed with the speed and skill of the students.

Can't post links, but google search "Ambrose Academy Wing Chun Do Livonia Michigan" and you will find it.

Another great school that hails from Inasanto's (what some would call the "Oakland or Los Angeles") lineage is:

Can't post links but google search "Attributive Martial Arts Jeet Kune Do Canton Michigan" and you should find it.

So basically, when you are trying to see if someone is authentic or not when it comes to this, suggesting that only Inasanto's students have a proper lineage is not really fair.

I have not been able to find a link, but I do recall reading an article somewhere wherein Linda Lee confirmed that Jerry Poteet was certainly capable of teaching Bruce's stuff.

That said, I think people are being a bit too hard on people using the label "Jeet Kune Do". Yeah I am sure there are marketing things that go along with that that people might find distasteful but I have yet to talk to anyone from a legit "Jeet Kune Do" school that did not generally explain right away that JKD itself is a set of principles and concepts that can be applied to all martial arts. Most schools that teach it include elements from Muay Thai, Savate, Jun Fan (Bruce's version of Wing Chun), and a grappling program. (Which nowadays also includes BJJ.) The fact is the general public is not aware of the difference in the terms. But I think hammering on someone for using that term is like saying someone is dishonest for using the word "Karate" or "Kung Fu". If the sign on your school's door said "Jun Fan" the average person would have no idea what you were talking about, even if they were sincerely interested in learning the Martial arts that Bruce Lee taught.

All of my expiriences talking to people at the Inosanto academy, or schools registered with them have always been straight forward and honest about this. The Wing Chun Do people I have talked to also were always very honest and straightforward about the truth of the lineage of their school. Both schools at least in my view absolutely could say they were teaching "Jeet Kune Do".

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/08/2012 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seems like pretty steep prices for training, especially for Michigan:
    Student tuition is due first class of each month, no exception. There will be a late fee of $15 charged, after that. PDS INC.
    • Karate Do (you must be 7yrs old or older). The class meets two times a week for one hour each day. Start up tuition cost is $155, which includes registration, one month of training and a Karate Do Gi. Then the tution cost drops down to $95 a month after that.
    • Kickboxing or Jeet Kune Do - (you must be 14 yrs or older). The class meets three times a week for one hour each day. Start up tuition cost is $185, which includes registration, one month of training, leather fingerless gloves. Then the tution cost drops down to $125 a month after that.
    • New Payment Program. Pay for 6 month's and get a 10% discount. Pay for 1 year and get 20% discount. One discount per person or family.

"We reserve the right to refuse service and training to anyone at anytime. There are no refunds on service or equipment."
    This is for a club that's open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, from 5:30 to 7:30 for 2 hour long classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 6:43pm

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $125/ month is about what i paid for JKD classes, and I havent had luck finding anything cheaper in this particular lineage.

I learned JKD from another 2nd generation instructor under Jerry Poteet. While I can not speak on purple Dragon Studios at all, I can say there must be similarities in how I was taught to move, punch, and kick, and the way John was taught, because the curriculum in Jerry Poteet's association is fairly consistant, and very simple, and there is a lot of 1-1 teacher student time, which is a quality controll.

John, i wish you would be more open to the communication style here on Bullshido, i know your not trying to recruit students, but it would still be good for your business, and your own personal lineage (again not that you care), but it does matter to some of us up and coming instructors, and to JKD students who are stuck somewhere between the delusions of chunners, and legitimacy of Muay Thai.

C'mon man represent a little, you know that in this small JKD community students get kicked out of the association for posting videos, or sharing with outsiders. You are in a unique position to represent without consequence, if no one does, everyone will go on thinking that Ted Wongs guys are the epitome of JKD. You and I both know better.

We train an art that would seem tailor made for modern MMA to insiders, but outsiders have no idea because of the pseudo philosophic BS packaged into the art, the esoteric vocab that doesnt translate to combat sports (why call it a Fak Sao when its just a crossface?), and the Wing Chun attitude that we practice the deadly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 7:32pm

Style: Still deciding.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brclry View Post
    $125/ month is about what i paid for JKD classes, and I havent had luck finding anything cheaper in this particular lineage.

I learned JKD from another 2nd generation instructor under Jerry Poteet. While I can not speak on purple Dragon Studios at all, I can say there must be similarities in how I was taught to move, punch, and kick, and the way John was taught, because the curriculum in Jerry Poteet's association is fairly consistant, and very simple, and there is a lot of 1-1 teacher student time, which is a quality controll.

John, i wish you would be more open to the communication style here on Bullshido, i know your not trying to recruit students, but it would still be good for your business, and your own personal lineage (again not that you care), but it does matter to some of us up and coming instructors, and to JKD students who are stuck somewhere between the delusions of chunners, and legitimacy of Muay Thai.

C'mon man represent a little, you know that in this small JKD community students get kicked out of the association for posting videos, or sharing with outsiders. You are in a unique position to represent without consequence, if no one does, everyone will go on thinking that Ted Wongs guys are the epitome of JKD. You and I both know better.

We train an art that would seem tailor made for modern MMA to insiders, but outsiders have no idea because of the pseudo philosophic BS packaged into the art, the esoteric vocab that doesnt translate to combat sports (why call it a Fak Sao when its just a crossface?), and the Wing Chun attitude that we practice the deadly.
    Honestly it does not really surprise me that he is not inclined to waste a lot of time here. There were people who had next to no info about him who had never really talked to him passing sentence on him before he even replied.

Sometimes the internet, particularly in forums is not the best way to communicate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:19pm

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your right. I get excited anytime someone that does the same type of JKD that I do, has any exposure. I want to see the art represented in combat sports, some information on this site might help towards that end, but Im not in a position to post videos without some consequences, so its kinda frustrating.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2012 8:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to discuss how people are treated or have nothing new to add please start a new thread.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314