Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 1:16pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe,
    Since you sound like a level headed person, I will let you know where I coming from. I beat to my own drums, so to speak. I'm not a "Nuthagger", I don't "Belong" to any organization......Many have tried to get me to be in theirs, including OBLS. I respect all the people who have cross paths with me pointing the way. At the end of the day, I don't care who you have train with or not. How do you move? What do you bring to the table? Can you back what you say you can? Is more improtant to me, along with character of the indivdiual. People are to much into "Name Dropping " and "Azz Kissing" to get ahead. I don't approach it that way. In my opinion in martial arts it comes down to "The Indivdual", nothing more, nothing less. By name dropping who I trained with doesn't make dam sense to me and it don't make my students/friends better because of who " I TRAINED WITH". This isn't the 80's no more. I know that's how its done, but trust me Joe with I say I never do things because that's the way there done. To me, there is a time and place where the martial artist has to stand on their own to feet and be accountable for themselves. Secondly, no one can make you better but your self in anything in life that worth a dam thing. People are blinding following, instead of being accountable in their own learning process and training. I totally think "MARTIAL ARTS BY ASSOICIATION" is more Bullshto than anything else....The way I think, like "IT" or not everyone....

Have A Great Day, Joe! I*_*I

Keep "IT" Real,
    John McNabney
    Last edited by simplicity; 1/10/2008 1:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 1:21pm

Style: Sambo, MT, BJJ, CH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it really has to do with name checking but more to do with just having verifiably trained with someone that's of concern. If it was all up to name checking, most people would be screwed as our instructors are not well known lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 1:38pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicity
    Joe, Since you sound like a level headed person, I will let you know where I coming from
    Thanks, Mr. McNabney. That does explain a great deal, and as I said earlier, it is certainly your prerogative to say or not say however much you'd like regarding your background.

I disagree on some of your points about "name dropping," and I've already voiced my opinion that your business would probably be better off with more disclosure, but to each his own. Unfortunately, it also happens to make defending your position a bit more difficult, in this thread, but the martial arts are supposed to provide us with challenges, aren't they?

--Joe

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicity
    You guys aren't my consumer and I answer all of the question when people actual come to my school to ask, enough said :wave:

Good Training To Ya and Have A Great day I*_*I

Keep "IT" Real,
    John McNabney
    That pretty much ends this thread IMO.
    People will make their own judgements. I for one don't think saying who one trained with or who ranked them is name dropping. And I don't understand the consumer argument as this is info any smart consumer would look for. It is simply providing info on one's background and credentials. To, me it looks like evasion, a threat to credibility, and is odd not to simply say who one's teachers are. But, to each his own.

Thanks for at least answering the questions (though not in a way most would have liked).

Adios. This thread is done for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 4:41pm

Style: Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    If you want to jump on Mcnabney because you think he's ass and doesnt' represent well that's one thing but stop pigeonholing styles it makes you look like an ass.
    You win.

I won't argue with an admin.

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 8:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Progressive Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If qualifications are a problem for so many on Bullshido. Why are all the profiles hidden? I for one don't answer to green belts. I would like to know that the posts are coming from experience. Someone wants to try and shut me down or dojo-bust or whatever you want to call it. It should come from experience.

The hidden profiles make sites like this a haven for people to be able to say anything they want about anybody, anytime and they don't have expose themselves which in turn could ultimately be anybody including kids.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:29pm

Style: Sambo, MT, BJJ, CH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by hidden exactly?

that aside, if you're looking for experience it really all depends from member to member,
    Sambosteve for example is the president of the org i belong to the ASA and clearly lists it right under his forum picture for everyone to see and read.

If you don't consider that experience I doubt anything would satisfy you. In the end, no matter what forum you go to, you will get hit by plenty of morons who don't know what they're saying, but as long as there's enough people who actually know what they're talking about [omega, sambosteve etc] that should be enough.

by the way, dojo storming of the gracie era is out of date, if you're referring to what people sometimes do on this forum, its investigate, and its not done by w recklessly attacking someone at their school, its more about gathering information about their background, taking a class if possible, perhaps sparring or rolling with the individual, it really isn't as serious as some people make it out to be.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Besides... who backs down to nice Omega?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 11:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jkjeetkunedo,

I agree that hidden profiles, or non-existent ones can be a pain in the butt. I, for one have always appreciated knowing exactly who I am talking to. I also like to stand behind what I say...and always try to say it respectfully. You can click on my profile for more info or the link to my school from all my posts (top right icon in all my posts). I am also "sambosteve" on every internet forum I belong to...no multiple screen names for me.

But, alas, many are not so open. Many here on BS are open though. It is a mixed bag. Nevertheless, I have seen some "profiled" people seem like asses and "hidden" guys seem very well behaved, honest, and well intentioned. In the end, I try to base my feelings on what is being pointed out, not who is doing the pointing. You have to do that on line because so many people stay hidden. Besides, I am not going to write off a good question just because I don't know who asked it.

Soundless, you are an ASA member? Who are you? PM me if you want to stay "hidden" LOL.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 1/11/2008 1:50am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 1:30am

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't posted in this thread but have never been one to hide behind anything or anyone. I'm Drunken Bear on all of the forums that I belong to MA or not.
    If you go to Kajukenbo Cafe I'm Drunken Bear on there as well and you can find out plenty of personal info on me. There's even an ugly assed picture of me.

22 Years of Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do 2nd Degree BB, Certified Instructor & Sifu title from Al Dacascos. 20 Years of Doce Pares Eskrima/Eskrido 2nd Degree BB from GM Cacoy Canete.

Yes there are members here with little or no experience that post on here but frankly compared to the BS on most of the other MA forums I'd rather put up with a few posers here than a shitload of them on places like MAP.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast