Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Rolls With Sweaty Men!

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 9:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Joe Rogan UFC

Rogan has done commentary for the past 10 UFC events or so, maybe even a few more than that. A lot of hardcore MMA fans have attacked his skills there, but I feel like he is the best commentator the UFC has ever had. Sure, he isn't as good as Bas Rutten, but he is at least top 3 behind Stephen Quadros. Some of the guys from my gym have rolled with him in the gi and said that he is actually pretty solid. Considering he is Eddie Bravo's student, No Gi is undoubtedly his speciality, so I supect he knows his stuff. A while ago I heard he got his brown belt, but I'm not 100% sure about it. I think he is a good representative for the UFC and MMA in general, even if you can quote a few goofy things he has said in the past.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 9:37pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe Rogan was also the first celebrity pool champion on the Bravo network.

He is fucking good at pool. I mean he was clearly making 90 percent of his shots, and this was 8 ball pool, not 9, which makes it MUCH more difficult to shoot.

software engineer

Posted On:
    3/26/2005 1:31am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most UFC fans admit that Joe Rogan is still doing good work in getting MMA
    noticed by more people.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/26/2005 5:07pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is 8-ball harder than 9-ball again?

I would think in tournament play, 9-ball would be a much better show of skills than 8-ball, but that's just me.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    3/26/2005 9:26pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    How is 8-ball harder than 9-ball again?

I would think in tournament play, 9-ball would be a much better show of skills than 8-ball, but that's just me.
    In 9 ball both opponents are forced to strike at the lowest ball when arriving to the table. So it is one ball, and only 8 can be on the table at one time to interfer with the shots, MAX.

In 8 ball you can hit any number of targets but you also have more rules governing play as well as 16 balls on the table.

8 ball in theory takes longer to play.

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    rise from the dead!!!!

I just got hooked on Fear Factor in the last few weeks (yea, where the **** have I been?) and in the latest one they had an MMA guy on and Joe made a comment so I went looking... his bio says
    Joe Rogan didn’t set out to be a comedian. Nor, for that matter, did he set out to be an actor. He really didn’t set out to be anything. But a series of circumstances have conspired to make him one of the hottest standups working today.

How did this accidental comedian and performer, a veteran of five seasons on NBC’s Newsradio, wind up with a fast-growing following and a groundbreaking debut comedy album, I’m Gonna Be Dead Someday on Warner Bros. Records? The short answer: Tae Kwon Do.

“I was always a really bad kid,” Rogan recounts. “in and out of trouble until I was 13 or 14. Until I started doing martial arts, I had always thought of myself as a nice guy trapped in the body of a violent criminal. It was this discipline and focus of Tae Kwon Do, claims the Newark-born and Boston-raised Rogan, that enabled him to take his life back.

Within two years, Rogan had earned a black belt and went on to become the Massachusetts Full Contact Tae Kwon Do champion four consecutive times. At the age of 19, he won the US Open Tae Kwon Do Championships and, as the lightweight champ, went on beat both the middle and heavy weight title holders to take home the Grand Championship.
    yea yea yea... its just fuckin' TKD... but Joe seems to be a bit of a funny bad ass, no?
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tkdan28
    rise from the dead!!!!

I just got hooked on Fear Factor in the last few weeks (yea, where the **** have I been?) and in the latest one they had an MMA guy on and Joe made a comment so I went looking... his bio says

yea yea yea... its just fuckin' TKD... but Joe seems to be a bit of a funny bad ass, no?
    My brother was hanging out with a couple of guys that were talking to Eddie Bravo (after a Grapplers Quest tournament I think), and he was talking about the "Joe Rogan Side-kick" (from the way Bravo described it, it was a TKD spinning back kick). Anyway, I've heard/read an interview with Joe Rogan (on Howard Stern maybe?) and he basically downplays his TKD black belt in favor of his BJJ training (I think he's training with Eddie Bravo).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 7:10pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    In 9 ball both opponents are forced to strike at the lowest ball when arriving to the table. So it is one ball, and only 8 can be on the table at one time to interfer with the shots, MAX.

In 8 ball you can hit any number of targets but you also have more rules governing play as well as 16 balls on the table.

8 ball in theory takes longer to play.
    I must apologise in advance for further derailing this thread, but Knightmare is clearly wrong.

9-ball is a much more difficult game to play. Yes, there are 16 balls on the table in 8-ball, but you can hit seven of them without giving your opponent ball in hand. Also, 8-ball requires much less skill as a position player because of the larger number of potential shots. In 8-ball, if you miss position on one shot, oftentimes you're not totally screwed because there are other potential shots. It is much easier to snooker yourself while playing 9-ball.

The only thing that can make 8-ball more annoying (but hardly more difficult) than 9-ball is if you're playing someone who sucks something fierce. In that case, your opponent's surplus of balls on the table can make position play slightly more difficult. But it is still nothing compared to the difficulty of position play in a rack of 9-ball.

Also, more rules doesn't make the game more difficult. Straight pool has fewer rules than 8-ball or 9-ball, but it's much more difficult to be any good at Straight.

If anyone wants to challenge my knowledge on this subject, I'm open to the first official Bullshido Billiards Throwdown. The only conditions are that we play on a good 9' table by BCA rules.
    Last edited by Zing!; 5/23/2005 9:08pm at .

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate you with the heat of a 1000 suns.... I hope a hot chick takes all your fucking money.
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2005 9:04pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the hostility?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast