Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    3/23/2005 11:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Araneta
    I love the picture they have of Dan Inosanto. Everyone knows having a pic of Inosanto automatically legitimizes your system...

In fairness, if they teach what they claim to teach then they should provide decent training, but the head instructors credentials still appear exagerated. I have a hard time believing anyone can be 316 - 0 in competition. Then again, he says that he started training when he was 5 so is he counting kiddy competitions where he beat up the other six year olds? Just wondering. :5baby:
    That's where I'm headed. I was just calculating that if you win 15 or 16 fights a year for 20 years...you got your 316. BUT 316 point fights or what? Sanctioned by anyone? Video? And undefeated? Little hard to swallow.

I guess I could email the man directly...may need some advice on the approach...

Braρa Fighting System Instructor

Posted On:
    3/29/2005 3:58pm

Style: Brana Fighting System

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about I answer some of these questions and concerns.

1. 316-0
    These were fights between 1988-1997. These numbers do not include my amature record where I was beaten 11 out of 19. I have been beaten before just not in a pro comp. And yes I do have videos of alot of the fights.

2. Quote:
    Originally Posted by blankslate
    • Filipino Kali
    • Filipino Escrima
    • Filipino Arnis

I like the fact that he chose to list Kali/Escrima/Arnis separately. I'm sure he has a legit reason for this.

I don't know why he put it like that on the website? He may have done it due to me have studying so many FMA's.

3. If anyone wants more info on me or my school, I encourage you to call, email or just come by the school. I would be happy to discuss anything you want.

4. Our school is not really ment to be a MMA type of school. We are a reality based martial arts school. We do teach MMA to a select few you want to compete.

PS: I hate the lens flares on the pics too.

Kevin B. Smith
    Modern Martial Arts Institute

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2005 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kudo / Kyokushin / FFS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone
    These were fights between 1988-1997. These numbers do not include my amature record where I was beaten 11 out of 19. I have been beaten before just not in a pro comp. And yes I do have videos of alot of the fights.
    Kevin/Cyclone what type of fights where they, point, contact etc?
    As you did this between the ages of 10 - 19, Are you saying that you where pro from the age of 10?

Anthony
    "All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

This forum is getting downright retarded.
    - Osiris

X

Posted On:
    3/29/2005 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BUT

Sifu Johnson has studied ALL of those (he was Smith's top guy before they broke up because of Johnson's determination of learning all of the fucking deadly secret nevereverseeen godlike moves).

Then he learned that he could just as well make that fucking **** up himself instead of learning it....

And everyone lived happily ever after.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2005 5:33pm

Style: TKD, JKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh God...
    This reminds me of Mishima style karate from tekken-.-

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    3/29/2005 6:15pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

2. Quote:
    • Filipino Kali
    • Filipino Escrima
    • Filipino Arnis

I like the fact that he chose to list Kali/Escrima/Arnis separately. I'm sure he has a legit reason for this.

I don't know why he put it like that on the website? He may have done it due to me have studying so many FMA's.
    Instead of saying "filipino kali" (which is a blanket term, as in "japanese karate"), could you detail the organizations and masters under which you have been studying?

Thanks!
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    3/29/2005 9:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1. 316-0

2. Quote:
    • Filipino Kali
    • Filipino Escrima
    • Filipino Arnis

3. If anyone wants more info on me or my school, I encourage you to call, email or just come by the school. I would be happy to discuss anything you want.

4. Our school is not really ment to be a MMA type of school. We are a reality based martial arts school. We do teach MMA to a select few you want to compete.

PS: I hate the lens flares on the pics too.

Kevin B. Smith
    Thanks Mr. Smith. It looks like your school has a lot to offer.

Just curious if you could elaborate on your fight record (as requested by Senshi as well.)

Were those fights in Kickboxing (ISKA, WKA?), point tournaments (ISKA, NASKA?), or some combination of sanctioned events?

When I searched the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame website I could not find your name and have not recieved a response back from that webmaster. ( They do have a disclaimer that not all names may have been added yet.)

Did our member guess correctly that you were Competitor of the Year in 1997?

(I will send this paragraph to Mr. Smith's email as well)

Braρa Fighting System Instructor

Posted On:
    3/30/2005 11:07am

Style: Brana Fighting System

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blankslate
    Thanks Mr. Smith. It looks like your school has a lot to offer.

Just curious if you could elaborate on your fight record (as requested by Senshi as well.)

Were those fights in Kickboxing (ISKA, WKA?), point tournaments (ISKA, NASKA?), or some combination of sanctioned events?

When I searched the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame website I could not find your name and have not recieved a response back from that webmaster. ( They do have a disclaimer that not all names may have been added yet.)

Did our member guess correctly that you were Competitor of the Year in 1997?

(I will send this paragraph to Mr. Smith's email as well)
    Soory for taking such a long time to respond. I have been really busy with setting up seminars.

As for the comps, most of them were comps that my Sifu had set up with the other schools in the area. Some were comps that came into town. These were comps where there was a cash purse. Thats why I say pro fights. A pro fight is a comp that has a CASH prize. Most of these fights were NHB type fights, but some where sanctioned Thai fights and some Karate tournys.

On April 26th 1997 I was inducted into The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame for "Outstanding Dedication and Contribution" to the martial arts.

As for the Kali, here is a list of some of the styles I have studied.

Brana Kali (my family's Filipino martial arts system)
    inosanto/lacoste
    Giron Arnis Escrima
    Kalis Ilustrisimo
    Sayoc
    Pekiti Tirsia
    Doce Pares
    Cabales Serrada Escrima
    Ikalabinlima Kali
    Latosa Escrima
    Modern Arnis

PS: I will be expanding the info on myself here soon on our website. Just check back in a week or two and there should be everything you have ever wanted to know about us. Have fun guys.

Kevin B. Smith

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    3/30/2005 11:40am

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the Kali, here is a list of some of the styles I have studied.

Brana Kali (my family's Filipino martial arts system)
    inosanto/lacoste
    Giron Arnis Escrima
    Kalis Ilustrisimo
    Sayoc
    Pekiti Tirsia
    Doce Pares
    Cabales Serrada Escrima
    Ikalabinlima Kali
    Latosa Escrima
    Modern Arnis
    That's a nice collection of styles! I wish I had the time to study them.
    Just one question. Are you ranked in them? Because, traditionally, there are a lot of rivalries in those styles.
    And another thing...what rank do you hold in P-T? My school is ranked there, but I couldn't find you.
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    3/30/2005 11:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    > Mr. Smith,
    >
    > Appreciate the straightforward and quick reply.
    >
    > Although it looks like a bit of a stretch, I guess we don't really have a
    > standard for compiling fight records here at Bullshido so I'll have to
    > say--- Fair Enough. 316-0 it is.
    >
    > Case closed for me.
    >
    > Otherwise, your school seems to offer quite a bit of crosstraining...the
    > FMA stuff looks extensive.
    >
    > I also live in Alabama, perhaps we'll cross paths someday.
    >
    > Good luck to you and your students.

AND CYCLONE, stick around SIFU....Bullshido is a great place *gulp* to hang out.

I'll pull some strings and get Phrost, the creator of this site, to give you the 'INSTRUCTOR' title by your member name.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    Last edited by blankslate; 3/31/2005 12:45am at . Reason: lampa reminded me to welcome the N00b.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast