Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/24/2005 2:43pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hammerfists to the legs I thought was ridiculous. You might as well use your knee and remain with double underhooks.

I would of much rather had top control of the body and thrown knees, Chris didn't look like he was very comfortable throwing knees from a clinch though.

I doubt that 1 round of a lot of punches gas'd Chris. Yes it probably made him tired, but it makes anyone tired. He wasn't gas'd by any means. If he was gas'd he wouldn't of been doing anything.

Ever been hit by a retreating leg kick? There really much isn't sting on it, and Chris didn't move because it didn't affect him. He was trying to stay planted so he could land a hard shot.

Oh well, better luck next time for Leben. I hope he just doesn't get cut next fight though.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2005 9:32pm

Style: Aikido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    I am so glad that you can finally agree with me, now that it is settled I will move on to responding to Strong Machine.

Actually I don't remember anyone mentioning that they finished the endurance test. As I saw it when Chris came back to the house everyone was asking him if he finished it. Now were they asking because they also finished it, or because they didn't finish it? I think it was because they didn't finish it.
    Dude. You ain't from around these parts are you? Strong Machine is a fight instructor. One of his guys was on the show. It's a fair bet that what you "think" is irrelevent, if SM says the others finished it they finished it.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    3/24/2005 11:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia
    Dude. You ain't from around these parts are you? Strong Machine is a fight instructor. One of his guys was on the show. It's a fair bet that what you "think" is irrelevent, if SM says the others finished it they finished it.
    Yeah, plus I'm Batman.

But regardless, month or two back there was a post on the boston BJJ forum where Flrion stated who finished the running test, Alex K was asked at my school and his and Florions stories gel.Don;t remember everyone who finished.But several did.The show just thought it might go over better to make it seem only the guy drunk 4 hours sooner finished.But still this takes nothing from Leben.Completeting that hellish run hung over is amazing.

"i really wish some of you guys could meet up and discuss things like men (beat the **** out of each other) that might limit some of the childish bickering on these boards. "

What do you want? Should we all just agree, and be polite until it turns into a hippy lovefest?
    I am, here for lively, colorful, debate.I want people to disagree with me and tell me I'm an idiot.It's what I'm here for.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 1:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly, that is basically why I stir things up, because if everyone agreed nothing new would be accomplished.

If everyone just agreed that a technique worked without questioning it, we would never have any new developments and never have the great arts we have today.

As for more than 1 person completing the test I am cluelesss. I don't have the same contacts as you so I am only aware of what is shown on the TV show so I am wrong in that respect.

Good to know ;) What exactly was the test? I want to know how hard it was so I can grasp how much they had to run.

I was hoping that they would get the middleweights up first to train, because that would of given Leben like 3 - 4 hours sleep instead of getting up at 11:00 to work out.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 7:30am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The test is pretty simple. Just find a treadmill that operates in miles per hour. Then you run the following schedule of increasing speeds:

5 mph x 5 minutes
    6 mph x 5 minutes
    7 mph x 5 minutes
    8 mph x 5 minutes
    9 mph x 5 minutes
    10 mph x 5 minutes

All for a grand total of 30 minutes of running. I was actually stupid enough to try this. If you're looking for something that might make you hurl, this test is definitely for you. . .
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 8:55am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually inspired by the show to try that as well Vargas....up to 8.0 at the moment. In another month or two I should be able to complete it. Only problem is doing a couple of times a week...dropping weight a little faster than I'd like.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 9:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easy solution for that, just eat more.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 11:40am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From Kenny's website, him on his fight:

Going into this fight, I knew it would be difficult for Chris to knock me out. My chin has been tested before and I knew that if I would be able to contain the storm a bit, I could get him tired and work for a takedown midway in the 2nd round or early in the 3rd round. I had a badly sprained wrist and a deep bone bruise on my knee so I would have to use my strikes wisely. Chris came out guns blazing so I did not want to match his intensity just yet.

He was strong early and ready to avoid takedowns. Being much lighter and Chris having an advantage in strength, I would have to wait for right opportunity to take him down. Too often grapplers try immediately and too hard to get the takedown. They get tired wasting energy on the takedown and then lose from being gassed. Chris has used this against some good grapplers earning him the win. I was going to let HIM gas and then turn it on in the end. I knew if I had 2 minutes on the ground with me on top of Leben, I could work my way to a position to submit him. Me jumping guard was an option, but I knew that Chris would be conservative there and would just try to grind out a win by not moving too much. My clinching was terrible partly from training too much with boxing gloves. I started to wrap the head up as I would with big gloves on instead of working for the underhooks. This was very uncharacteristic of me and the training practice of tying up this way turned it into a bad habit during the fight.

Exchanging on the feet with him was risky but I was confident I could take his shots, get some of mine in and work for a takedown when he got too overzealous. Elbows are weapons I have always wanted to use in a fight but never had the rules before to do them. I threw them early in the 1st but it was not until midway through the 2nd round when it actually landed. It was a short elbow and it opened up a large gash over Chris' eye. I was excited after the cut because I knew Chris would be badly handicapped not being able to see out of one eye. This would have opened up more strikes and takedowns for me that would have been extremely difficult for Chris to see. All of this was to no avail. The Doctor claimed it was too close to the artery and it was too deep and too dangerous.

I learned a tremendous amount from this fight. Chris is a great competitor and he brought everything to knock me out. While I thought I proved to everybody that I have a lot of heart and will, this was not a great performance. In MMA, there are so many skills to learn and master. This was my 5th fight and I moved up at least one weight class. I have a lot to learn and have been working hard on all of my skills and strength everyday. I am excited to fight again in the octagon and I hope to gain many more fans with my performance on April 9th in Las Vegas.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789