Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 12:29am

Style: MT, BJJ, VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well… Chris went out all guns blazing, as I thought he would. Kenflo kept it calm and for a BJJ black belt, kept himself mostly on his feet and landed that fight-ending elbow in the second round, and a beautiful elbow it was. He actually got a few good ones in, but that one elbow was classic; looks like Kru Mark’s MT techniques helped!

I definitely think that Chris won the first round, given his performance in the latter half of the round; however Kenflo did control damage to himself well considering that he was up against someone who is naturally 12-20 lbs heavier than him. Kenflo played a mind game as opposed to an all out slug fest. Chris didn’t seem to respect Kenflo’s power and went in wide, which left him open for that elbow… something that one should never do with a technical fighter of Kenflo’s level.

What surprises me most is that Kenflo did not try to take Chris (a few failed attempts, but he didn't really try) to the ground as I thought he would in order to utilise his BJJ in the first round. He did try and shoot in the second, but it seemed as If he was baiting Chris more than trying to shoot as the distance was too much and he would only get an knee to the head (as he almost did once) but then, in the end then it was not necessary.

Interesting. I'm wiling to bet that it is Diego vs. Kenflo for the final. Note, Kenflo’s MMA record was 3:1 before the fight, but his grappling record is 55-12.

Carbon - This was no "lucky" elbow. Chris left himself open in his haste to be the agressor and Kenny --as a more technical fighter-- saw it and landed it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 12:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Kenny had one shot attempt and Chris shut it down pretty solidly.

You have to realize that they've been training together for around two weeks now and it's almost a given that Chris has asked Kenny to help him on his takedown defense. I would imagine that Kenny didn't want to try takedowns because he knew that they wouldn't work too well. Plus, you know how goddamn hard it is to take someone down that's heavier than you? He could have pulled guard, but I don't think you want to have Chris Leben in your guard.

is still hungry.

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 12:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm just overestimating the skill of a BJJ black belt. I would think that having a guy in your guard would be better than scurrying away from a guy who outclasses you standing up.

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 12:41am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TUF 10 Thoughts

The shows are getting better and better. A far cry from the first two mediocre episodes. (Going back and reading older threads.) Still no call on the final word on Forrest's cut, but looks like the dishes are going to be done again.

Disappointing the fight had to end this way, didn't see any zhoo-zitsu either.
    What was that faking a shot about? He was way too far out, and the first 'shot' Kenny tried was more of a sit-down as he hoped to time Chris' advance in. I was surprised Kenny Florian didn't try to shoot or take it too the ground more. Nice to see 'unorthodox' tactics by Chirs Leban, in hammer fisting the thigh, don't see that too often. Bye Leban.

Looking forward to seeing Koschek get tapped out by Diego though it isn't going to be easy dealing with Josh's power.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carbon, for someone who apparently considers themself intelligent, your logic is underwhelming.

That should no be considered a win. I think it should be like boxing, that if a cut stoppage occurs before a certain point that it goes to the score cards.
    In case you didn't notice, this ISN'T BOXING. It's MMA. Go start your own organization and try and get it licensced by the NSAC and everyone else with "your" rules.

He got the luckiest shot in the world. I mean that is complete bullshit and it sucks for Leben that his face was made with his eyebrows on a lot of bone.
    Lucky? Really? While it goes without saying a certain element of luck is involved with fighting, how was this the luckiest shot in the world? Whether Leben moved his head or Kenny was able to create space, the perfect opportunity for that elbow arose and Kenny had the training to capitalize on that moment. An elbow such as this one, thrown pefectly lateral across the face is going to open a cut on just about anyone I think many of the experienced fighters here would tell you.

In ending, I was rooting for Leben but he lost. I don't know if you are a Leben nuthugger or if you are just talking out your ass as always, but the fallacy apparent in your statements is ridiculous.

Gringo Grande
    Last edited by Gringo Grande; 3/22/2005 12:52am at .
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 1:06am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I am sure that the supreme technical prowess of Kenny allowed him to dominate with a 10 inch elbow to basically split open leben from the right to the left side of the eyebrow.

Even Randy said that was the largest cut he had seen anyone endure in his fighting experience. It is due to the way that Chris's face is structured.

As for me talking out of my ass? Uh....alright...and the 4 round rule applies to any fight whether it be 6, 10 or 12 rounds in boxing.

I think you need to stop trying to make yourself look like you know what the **** you are talking about, because the only thing you do is scrutinize people who are actually trying to have a discussion.

So why don't you back the **** off my nuts, because no you aren't going to get my number and please stop talking to me as if you know me.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 1:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awww....did the little troll get his feelings hurt?

Let me ask you this.

If in an average boxing match of 12 rounds...after 4 rounds are complete it goes to the judges...so after 1/3 of the fight took place? Considering your average, non title UFC fight is 3 rounds...after 1 round you'd like the to go to the judges?

I think the only person talking out their ass showing a lack of knowledge is you. You do realize that the reasons a fight is called for a cut like that include but are not limited to: The fighter no longer being able to adequately defend themself due to blood in their eyes, possible disfigurement, infection, potential collapse due to blood loss, the list goes on and on.

Leben wasn't the first, nor will he be the last fighter to lose for that reason...you make it sound like this was the first time in the history of the world that this has ever happened for Christ's sake.

You got called out on your original mewling post, crying over the rules that the fighters are well aware of, even if you apparently are not. It is part of the game and if you don't like it, go watch another sport. In other words, I'll leave it in the hands of one of the most apropos sayings of all times, "**** Happens".

And in ending, to sink to your vapid level, I don't need your nuts because your mom is handling mine quite well thank you. Out of curiosity, did you inherit her plump ass? Because I love it.

Gringo Grande

I punch people

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 1:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was that faking a shot about? He was way too far out, and the first 'shot' Kenny tried was more of a sit-down as he hoped to time Chris' advance in.
    Looks like that was to set up the uppercut which was very well executed.
    It's only fun and games until somebody loses and eye. Then it's fun and games in two dimensions!

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 1:46am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will have to review that when I get the clip then.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    3/22/2005 3:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was a nice ass uppercut he landed. We've all seen the fake shoot to a hook (a la Randleman vs Crocop is the best example that comes to mind) but I've never thought about using it to set up an uppercut. It was a good shot...lucky for Leben he does have a solid chin and Kenny isn't that strong.

Gringo Grande
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast