Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Marasmos

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, there'll never be as much bjj bullshido as there is in non competition-oriented arts for the same reason there's not much bullshit judo or boxing out there. All of these arts are tied to performance. There will always be SOME frauds around, but they'll never have nearly as huge a neiche to fill as in various Kung Fu and Karate styles.
    You say what about my rice?

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 1:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    Nah, there'll never be as much bjj bullshido as there is in non competition-oriented arts for the same reason there's not much bullshit judo or boxing out there. All of these arts are tied to performance. There will always be SOME frauds around, but they'll never have nearly as huge a neiche to fill as in various Kung Fu and Karate styles.
    ...a river in egypt. :eusa_whis

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, I think HAPKO3 might have a point. Yes, I'm sure there's some boxing and wrestling bullshido out there, but is it as prevalent as karate/kf/TKD bullshido? I don't think boxing bullshido will ever come to equal the levels that kf/TKD/etc. will because it's competition oriented.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's two distinct possibilities for BJJ bullshido that I see.

1) A trend developing for non-competitive or self defence bjj, something that will probably never happen, because rolling around with sweaty guys never seems to appeal to the "self defence" crowd - they're after spin kicks, groin pulls, and dim mak.

2) The watering down of competition rules to the point that they are unrelated to fighting, kinda like what happened to, say, TKD or, to some extent, judo. This is the more likely senarion, IMHO.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The counter point would be that the bullshido simply wouldn't go to competition. Or form their own competition. Like TKD. This isn't even including all those that have "incorporated" the style into their exsisting schools. So you have the existing bullshido schools adding BJJ as part of their own system. Its a cancer, karate, kung fu, etc were not born bullshido either. Some faker got a foothold, taught crap, and made a dynasty of it. It could happen, and now has happened, to ANY style.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 3/18/2005 2:15pm at .

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you joking? "Cardio" boxing and kickboxing is HUGE right now. Billed often as an "effective, fun workout to improve fitness, inspire confidence, and teach self defense!"

Now, bullshido wrestling and judo are unlikely because there's no way to get out of grappling in those arts; you simply have to do it, sooner or later. Boxing and kickboxing, you can spend as long as you want skipping rope, sprinting, and hitting bags and mitts...or just shadowboxing to uptempo music.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The vast majority of cardio kickboxing out there does not claim to have self defense value and is advertised for what it is - a good way to get aerobic excersise. Thus, it's not bullshido.

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:24pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    The counter point would be that the bullshido simply wouldn't go to competition. Or form their own competition. Like TKD. This isn't even including all those that have "incorporated" the style into their exsisting schools. So you have the existing bullshido schools adding BJJ as part of their own system. Its a cancer, karate, kung fu, etc were not born bullshido either. Some faker got a foothold, taught crap, and made a dynasty of it. It could happen, and now has happened, to ANY style.
    I have to agree with this. There really is not much stopping people from doing this. They cannot call it Gracie JJ because of the copyrights. But anyone could claim to teach BJJ and just not send students to compete.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.combatdynamics.com/cardio.htm

http://members.cavtel.net/greatneck/...oxingFlyer.htm

http://www.metroart.com/cardiokick.htm "Excellent Self-Defense: GET FIT WITHOUT GETTING HIT!"

To be fair, here is an example with realistic advertising:

http://www.grayironfitness.com/crushkick.htm

"A. Though closely related to fighting and martial arts, Crush Kick® is not a self-defense course. However, the fundamentals you learn are technically sound and not merely a lot of jumping around and hand waving just to elevate your heart rate. To effectively use them for self-defense requires practice with simulated attacks and developing the proper mindset that goes beyond the scope of our classes. However, you will learn proper body alignment and movement to deliver effective kicks, punches, elbows and knees."

Still, HAPKO3, unrealistic claims of self-defense prowess for cardio kickboxing are unfortunately quite common.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You think if someone taught martial arts they would mention their school when they are talking about teaching. No good businessman misses an opportunity to whore himself. I wonder if he ever even learned any BJJ or just thought it sounded cool to the ladies.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast