Posted On:
    3/17/2005 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peter Parker > Ed Parker.

'Nuff said.

To be honest, I have no idea. I have a friend who used to take Kempo and says it's t3h d34dly. I got my ass handed to me by 2 kempo guys at the last NW throwdown, and yet you guys keep ragging on it. So... I dunno.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 2:12am

Style: Hawaiian Okinawan Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ed Parker bastardized kempo, he was also only a brown belt when he opened up his school.

Kempo Instructor

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 3:07am

Style: Shorin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not a Kempo nutrider but...

The Coach is correct. Mr. Parker put his own spin on Kempo and made it marketable in the U.S. If you want hard no-nonsense Kempo, Hawaii is the place to go. I feel Mr. Parker opened up a whole new way of looking at and teaching MA. He helped the evolution of the arts by combining what he felt and knew, he made it OK to add your own personality to the style. Is it a perfect system of course no but, as I said it helped open doors and bridge gaps between Japanese and Chinese arts. Before this turns into a hate Kempo thread keep in mind the timeframe that Kempo was introduced. There are others way more well versed in EPKempo than me. Just my 2 cents. Happy hunting.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 3:37am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ORION_SOG
    I will look for the article on the incedent... and as far as high reguard by the old timers... My dad is one of the old timers, some liked him and the hard core guys didn't. My dad Jim Harrison was one of the trainers of Bill Wallace and they are good friends still today, as well as the rest of them.. Benny I know did not have much respect for Ed's Kempo, Joe liked him but not his art as well..
    I didn't know Pat Burleson was well respected. He was my TKD instructor's instructor's instructor (lineage war time =P). Considering my TKD school fell to ****, I just assumed that the whole linage was fucked in the first place.

Edit: I quoted the wrong post. Meant to snag the other one about old timers. You get my point though.
    Last edited by Emevas; 3/18/2005 3:46am at .
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Loving Father

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 5:00am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ORION_SOG
    Ed Parker got his ass handed to him outside a bar in Hawaii by a 17 yr old street kid. Nuff said.
    While this particular incidient may or may not have happened as stated, it was not a singular one. There are many stories of Mr Parker getting beat down in his "early days" in Hawaii. Many people get beat down in Hawaii. . .reported incident, or not.

Many martial artists came to Hawaii, came from Hawaii, and came through Hawaii in the 50's, 60's & 70's on their way to the US, and to Asia. . .many started schools. Ed Parker is from Hawaii. He is in fact, part Hawaiian. But, leaving Hawaii for California was good for him, and good for martial arts in general.

`~/

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 9:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ed Parker's system is American Kenpo, with the N, so don't confuse it with the Kempo with the M. I think there's enough differences between the two to consider them completely different styles.

If there is a question about the effectiveness of American Kenpo as a style, I think Clyde dismissed some doubters at the Vegas Throwdown. One person doesn't validate a style but he proved that at least one person use it effectively. (And there was that dude in one of the first UFC's...beating up that big huge sumo dude.)

The fighting ability of Ed Parker is irrelavent. He's dead and talking about how he can beat up so and so...might as well talk about Bruce Lee vs. Rampage.

I do give Ed Parker credit, historically, because (I think) he started some of the first karate tourney here in the states. It was at one of these tourneys that Bruce Lee was introduced. MA wouldn't be as big as it is now without his influence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 10:26am

Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point, Jay.

Timeframe is important to remember, here. In the 50's and 60's, when MA were just being introduced into the USA by people like Ed Parker, there was no UFC, no Pride, or anything like that. He started one of the largest and longest running open tournaments extant.

As far as his beatdowns, it would not surprise me if he got whupped here and there. I'm sure he gave some as well. Challenges were very common during that era. That does not mean he was all BS. Fighters like Benny, Joe, Chuck Norris, and Bart Vale all trained with him, so that speaks for itself, IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 11:28am

Style: MMA, Fighting Irish

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kenpo with a "N" was only a mispelling on James Mitoses book, they decided to keep it that way because they could not afford to have it reprinted.

Kempo, in its "original philosophy" as a martial art, was a complete system. It contained strikes, traps, grappling and joint locks, takedowns and throws, stand up fighting, ground fighting. Not only that, but it also contained swimming, running, climbing, and all sorts of other **** as part of its training.

Today, this is SOOO not true though. What we have left, is just a cheap version sponsored by cheap actors, purely superficial. But it seems the latest adventures in No Holds Barred fighting with a basic understanding of traditional martial arts, is bringing us back to where we all started in the first place. A superior, natural, instinctive, self expressive, martial art and self defense system.

Today everyone is asking and saying, is BJJ complete ? NO! ... is Muay Thai complete? NO! .. is Karate, Kung Fu, Boxing, Wrestling, a compelte system ? NO! ..
    So everyone is combining everything, and in 100 years, who wont be referring back to traditional styles anymore, you will either be a student of fighting, or not. :hiding:

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Was Elvis really a Black Belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    Didn't Bill Wallace teach Elvis?

Hank Slamanski trained Elvis. Hank was one of those old school military badasses. Tracys has an article about the whjole thing that is a pretty good read.

http://www.tracyskenpo.com/Stories/w...black_belt.htm

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mormon's scare me
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast