--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Parker

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 5:20pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, but it looks real one step to me- i thought the guys arm might go into spasms from leaving it out so long. Still, kempo is a good way to learn how to fight dirty- it just seems padded, especially after reading the article on how Parker tried to stuff a bunch of material he had James Wing Woo help him put into the system. From what I understand the original system could be mastered and applied fairly quickly. Didn't Parker have Gene Le Bell take on a boxer, to defend the martial arts reputation? Why didn't Parker just do "flaying twigs of animosity" on the boxer, or some such thing? It was an open challenge. No offense to Clyde, as I've seen his tapes, and the guy looks like he could level a lot of the other guys that attend throwdowns. Just my 2 cents, which is all it's worth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2007 12:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not for nothing but, I am a proponent of economy of motion, energy, and efectiveness of technique.
    If you do the math on most of the Goshinho waza (Self-defense techniques)found in Kenpo/ Kempo. One attack,and 15 counter attacks as a response... I am a fan of over-kill but, if the situation was a gun fight and I had to shoot at and/or hit the bad guy 15 times... I would question either my shooting abilities or my weapon and choice of ammo.

Just my ideas.

Sincerely,

LG

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2007 5:32pm

Style: pak mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

overdone

during the korean war theres a article written by a war corespondent . i he was taking picture of combatants whod been wounded. he wrote of one who was a gurkha sargent whod was wounded more than 18 times . he got patched up to go home but disapeared . he told another in a bed next to his, his men were still on the line so he was going back and marched out and back to his line. so sometimes you need a overkill.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin Long Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod
    Not for nothing but, I am a proponent of economy of motion, energy, and efectiveness of technique.
    If you do the math on most of the Goshinho waza (Self-defense techniques)found in Kenpo/ Kempo. One attack,and 15 counter attacks as a response... I am a fan of over-kill but, if the situation was a gun fight and I had to shoot at and/or hit the bad guy 15 times... I would question either my shooting abilities or my weapon and choice of ammo.

Just my ideas.

Sincerely,

LG
    Good analogy.

I have studied Kempo, not American Kempo, but its close cousin, Shaolin Chuan Fa AKA Shaolin Kempo. Started under Ralph Castro system for 3.5yrs and another 4yrs with the Villari system(/hangs head in shame for the McDojo reference) Hey it was all I could find at the time in SoCal that came close.

We have always looked at American Kempo as flashy hand waving and no meat to it. But that is a one sided view. So when I reached my 1st Black in Shaolin Kempo, I signed up for American Kenpo. Here's what I found. The forms were crap. Like I suspected, a lot of flashy hand waving. But then again a lot of forms are that way. There is one part I found enhanced my Shaolin Kempo style though, and that is the self defense techniques. The the economy of motion and energy really is quite good. I have even had a few unfortunate instances in real life to try them out in bar fights. Not started by me but was certainly finished by me. Weapons training was terrible. I also trained in Arnis/Kali for a number of years, and Amer Kenpo really bastardized this art.

With this said, I have really changed my mind regarding the whole Ed Parker system. Is it the best art out there? No, but it definitely has its merit.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 3:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must admit, that I too, have used some of the techniques in Kempo, which got me out of some scrapes, that all my TKD training did not. That's being said, the training also had me ill prepared for my first few encounters, so I had to learn the hard way, hard way. The focus on striking the groin, eyes and throat, aren't guarentees, but it worked in my case, once I understood fighting- not Kempo or martial arts, per se. Still, I think their are some arts that can better prepare you for the reality of fighting than all the are swatting in Kempo.

Posted On:
    5/03/2007 6:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the opportunity to study under "Sibok" Tom Kelly back in 93, and he did not seem to like Larry Tatum. There seemed to be alot of division in the EPAK Community after EP Passed away. I had the opportunity to train with S. Labounty (Sigung), Kelly, and Duffy.

From what I understand, which could be misinformed, Kelly was the first 7th Degree under Parker, and was considered to be closer to Parker than Larry Tatum. The fact that Tatum and several others have Self Promoted themselves to Grandmaster status, and Kelly did not speaks volumes. Since this is Bullshido forums, how quick have we been in the past to attack those claiming grandmaster status. Simply put, LT is not a Grandmaster of American Kenpo. EP was the Grandmaster. No-one else....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 6:25pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovegod

Just my ideas.

Sincerely,

LG
    It's not so much overkill as overskill. I train at a gym where boxers, bjjers, mt fighers, and kenpo guys all train togther. I've used Kenpo techniques against all of them and made them work. My instructor hit a few MT guys so many times they hung up the gloves and went home that day. Does it work? Yes. Is it fool proof? No. Mostly, kenpo is more about closing off options than landing rapid strikes. The idea is that we limit our opponent's possible counters and maximize our options.

I've pressure tested Kenpo on the street and in the gym and it has passed muster every time. I think that has more to do with how I train than the art itself. If you can't make is work, that's your problem. However, my instructor is a student of Clyde's, and I have fought Clyde on more than one occasion. The last time landed me a set of broken ribs. I can attest to the fact that he is the real deal. He can fight, both standing up and on the ground. I've seen him do it many times and have been on the receiving end of his skills.

Hedgehogey, I would invite you to spar with Clyde anytime if you think he teaches bullshido. You may be the man and come out on top, but many have thought that and failed. You might just get embarrassed by a TMA guy! One of the things that few people realize about Clyde is that he has "cross-referenced" (as he puts it) in many other systems. In doing so, he has found out how to integrate all of this knowledge into kenpo without deviating from his base art. The wealth of knowledge that he brings to the table is quite immense and very impressive. If you doubt this, I'll give you his contact info. I'll be happy to provide you his cell phone number and email address. I guarantee he will accept any and all challenges and videotape them for the world to see.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 12:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to bring up a dead topic but I decided to stay in EPAK because of this thread (and mostly Clyde)

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 9:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpostudent
    It's not so much overkill as overskill. I train at a gym where boxers, bjjers, mt fighers, and kenpo guys all train togther. I've used Kenpo techniques against all of them and made them work. My instructor hit a few MT guys so many times they hung up the gloves and went home that day. Does it work? Yes. Is it fool proof? No. Mostly, kenpo is more about closing off options than landing rapid strikes. The idea is that we limit our opponent's possible counters and maximize our options.

I've pressure tested Kenpo on the street and in the gym and it has passed muster every time. I think that has more to do with how I train than the art itself. If you can't make is work, that's your problem. However, my instructor is a student of Clyde's, and I have fought Clyde on more than one occasion. The last time landed me a set of broken ribs. I can attest to the fact that he is the real deal. He can fight, both standing up and on the ground. I've seen him do it many times and have been on the receiving end of his skills.

Hedgehogey, I would invite you to spar with Clyde anytime if you think he teaches bullshido. You may be the man and come out on top, but many have thought that and failed. You might just get embarrassed by a TMA guy! One of the things that few people realize about Clyde is that he has "cross-referenced" (as he puts it) in many other systems. In doing so, he has found out how to integrate all of this knowledge into kenpo without deviating from his base art. The wealth of knowledge that he brings to the table is quite immense and very impressive. If you doubt this, I'll give you his contact info. I'll be happy to provide you his cell phone number and email address. I guarantee he will accept any and all challenges and videotape them for the world to see.
    Hey, no offense, but he should be fighting you, not Clyde. You're the one making the claims. While Clyde will take on most anyone, the challenges should come from him.