Administrator

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 8:27pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss
    Fought off? I don't recall the Filipino's doing this in the 1940's with the Japanese and not without the American's help. Ditto for 1898 when it came to the Spanish, contrary to myth, sticks and knives don't win wars.
    Smart ass.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 8:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Smart ass.
    I forgot to mention, Spain ruled the Philippines for 300-plus years. Fought off? When?
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 8:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    :booty:

bwahahahahah, I'm razzing you because I'm Filipino and I've done Kickboxing and MMA and your new.
    I was gonna say "there are some badazz Filipino boxers".
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 8:53pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin

By this I mean could there be proof in the history of the people who created it?

I paraphrase my sifu,

"Many kung fu guys talk about how they descended from such and such grandmaster who once kicked much ass. I say **** him (the grandmaster)! I want to know how you fight"
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 9:09pm

Style: Wing Chun/JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I am filipino to and I have been doing JJ and wing chun and my instructors are also certified in Silat so I can take don't worry.

But I have no answer here (hence the post) and they did rule the Philipines for 300 years. But they don't now but sticks and knives may not win wars but they have won battles....

But I have looked into cultures and their fighting history and the nature of their battles sometimes gives insight into how and why they developed it so. I mean when you are in battle with a foreign foe or neighboring island tripple spin kicks may not be the best option.

So when I look into Pananjackman and the whole low line kicking thing I think that functionality may have played a part which drives me to learn more about it and try to find schools that instruct in this technique. I didn't need someone who says they train it who won a UFC to guide me there. I was wondering if other MA came to the same conclusions. Their lowline kicking is a little different then Muy Thai and they take differnt angles in Kun tao. Many of these takes on movements can be applied in real life altercations. Just a thought but i am def getting a better view of how others think.

History can be in-accurate but I still firmly believe that FMA and indonesians have some serious skills.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 9:22pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiAssassin
    But I have looked into cultures and their fighting history and the nature of their battles sometimes gives insight into how and why they developed it so. I mean when you are in battle with a foreign foe or neighboring island tripple spin kicks may not be the best option.
    Why would you learn a style developed for a medieval Asian battelfield? Do you suffer from routine raids by Mongols? If so, I suggest getting a Capital One card instead.

History can be in-accurate but I still firmly believe that FMA and indonesians have some serious skills.
    You didn't really specify FMA or Indonesian arts in your question. I do agree that Kali and Silat practitioners have a propensity for badassitude, but those of many other arts whose histories claim the same kind of successes don't.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 9:49pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    I paraphrase my sifu,

"Many kung fu guys talk about how they descended from such and such grandmaster who once kicked much ass. I say **** him (the grandmaster)! I want to know how you fight"
    Your sifu sounds fucking awesome. :icon_thum

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 9:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    3. The people might not have anything to do with it. Most formerly warlike and badass peoples (Celts, Teutons, Norsemen, Mongols) don't have a strong warrior tradition anymore and wouldn't necessarily know how to fight well.
    Er, the Mongols?

Mongolian Wrestling is the national sport, Izzy. It's like Judo with no groundwork; they're likely better at hand-to-hand fighting than the average nation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 10:01pm

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris Rock also said: "but can he kick my ass!?" lol

But in all seriousness, its all about the str33t! The shiiiiit must be effective. I don't give a rats ass who's ass the GM has kicked. Who's ass will I be able to kick? Or am I just wasting my fuckin' time? Really, I've been to some schools where I know I could kick the **** out of the instructor staff. I showed respect to the person as I do to anyone and left. Once outside, I laughed for a little bit and moved the **** on! :bootyshak

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    3/17/2005 10:04pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xango
    Er, the Mongols?

Mongolian Wrestling is the national sport, Izzy. It's like Judo with no groundwork; they're likely better at hand-to-hand fighting than the average nation.
    Ugh...must you nitpick?
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast